First glider solo!!

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
And first solo flight in anything in almost two years! It felt great to pull the release and finally be truly on my own again today. :thumbsup:

Wx forecast was gloomy/doomy this morning, gray and drizzly when I arrived at the airport, but the club rallied anyway, and we were rewarded with several hours of workable conditions. Even when the anticipated t-storms blossomed later, they seemed to give 47N a wide berth.

I did one dual pattern hop, not too shabby... Gus spoke afterwards of doing an open canopy drill with me at some point, so I was puzzling over that on the next dual takeoff: will there be any warning? I know I will just stay cool and stay on the stick, but... hmmm... next thing I know, we're at 400 and I forgot to call 200 (and of course think about why we do that), so he pulls the release on me!! Wups, forget the canopy- gotta turn and land downwind! Definitely got me back into focus!! :rofl:

And of course I got another reminder that if the rope really breaks or comes off at the towplane, there will be no "bang"... gotta get that nose down at the slightest hint, and decide where you're going- quickly.

Next dual flight was a longer tow, with some wake-boxing and out-of-position drills... did OK, and was "rewarded" after release with the novelty of unlatching the canopy while doing the flying... lifting it first an inch, then a few more... then laying it wide open and letting go of it.
While refurbishing this canopy and mounting it, I'd wondered how the glider might fly with it open. Turns out it's a pretty "aerodynamically neutral" arrangement, even opening to the side as it does. Stays put, too, even though there's plenty of air smashing into everything at 50 mph. This was nice in the muggy weather, BTW. :D

No problem flying like that, even tho' I'd forgotten my sunglasses... and very good to experience it before the thing bangs open sometime right after takeoff because I forgot that checklist item! A very useful drill.

I have a good glider instructor, even though I finally realized today just how heavy and noisy he is. :D

Solo flight was off a 3000-foot tow: mild wind aligned with the runway mostly, but some decent lift here and there (down low)... one bubble got me pretty high on tow for a moment (hit me worse than the tow plane). Fixed that quick, just focused on turning neatly, etc., banged off at 3000 and just farted around for a while in zero sink, doing stalls and steep turns. I was a very good boy: head on a swivel, no drifting downwind, reciting the checklists aloud. It seemed much easier to trim for my target airspeeds, but maybe that was just my perception. Went over to one of my reliable lift-generating spots but it was not reliable at the moment...thing weren't really cooking in general at that point... so, a few more turns near the field, then big slips with and without spoilers to dump altitude and drop into the pattern right where I wanted. I could've milked it more, I guess, but it just seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Flew a decent pattern, and made one of my better landings. Didn't get another chance today, but I have the whole rest of the season to keep making solo flights!! :smile:

Good work man!

Matt Michael
CFIG

Great going... always good to be back in the air..

Congrats! Did your CFI give you your A badge?

Congrats!

I didn't know Manville had glider training- is it recent?

Congrats!

I didn't know Manville had glider training- is it recent?

Somewhat. It's a club, made up mostly of resident pilots who keep powered planes there, not a school per se. Training is available to members, but we also do fam. flights with anyone who shows up.

No, he didn't (yet)...I assume that is for the first solo...?

Sean,

here is the SSA page about the various levels of Badging that us glider pilots aspire to.

http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=5361749529

A Badge should be accomplished by the time you solo
B Badge is basically a 30 minute solo flight (i.e. you caught a thermal)
C Badge is a one hour solo flight along with some accuracy landing practice.

If your instructor is an SSA Instructor he can issue the badges. If any of the other instructors in your club are registered with the SSA they can do it too. If none of the instructors in your group are SSA Instructors, encourage them to do so!

Speaking of, I just realized that now that I have my Silver Badge, I can issue A, B, and C badges, if I get signed up as an SSA Instructor. So I better do so!

Sean,

here is the SSA page about the various levels of Badging that us glider pilots aspire to.

http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=5361749529

A Badge should be accomplished by the time you solo
B Badge is basically a 30 minute solo flight (i.e. you caught a thermal)
C Badge is a one hour solo flight along with some accuracy landing practice.

If your instructor is an SSA Instructor he can issue the badges. If any of the other instructors in your club are registered with the SSA they can do it too. If none of the instructors in your group are SSA Instructors, encourage them to do so!

Speaking of, I just realized that now that I have my Silver Badge, I can issue A, B, and C badges, if I get signed up as an SSA Instructor. So I better do so!

Hm. SSA membership is part of the club membership, but I'm not sure of the status of individuals. Our only instructor (at the moment) is away at Airventure, but I'll ask about it when he returns.

I guess "we don't need no stinkin' badges" but I like goals, and I definitely qualify for the A. If I fly tomorrow, I could probably meet the req. for the B.

yes it is good have goals. i often wish that there was similar sort of achievement programs in powered flight. once you get done with the ABC then its not too much more to get the Bronze and start flying cross country and working towards the Silver. Now that I have my Silver I dream about the Gold, etc. etc.

Plus the pins look kinda nice on your "Dress" bucket hat :D

I have a knack for destroying pins and stuff like that... already lost my SSA pin, even before the hat went into the washer. :rolleyes: I think any badges will go in a display case or something. :D

Congrats and I didnt know we had dress bucket hats? I have a wide collection from dirty to pretty so I guess I should pin up on of them.

Back