First flight with my wife

KSWO to O47 yesterday for dinner with my folks. First time the lovely and talented Mrs. Husted had flown with me (without a CFI). Gorgeous clear skies, very little wind on the ground, should be a perfect day for her.

Alas, I was sorely mistaken.

Left KSWO about 4pm and hunted for smooth air from 2000 to 5500 and found nothing but bumps. The. Whole. Way. To. O47. Not good, dude, not good at all.

The one (1) Dramamine she took before leaving wasn't enough :nonod:

She didn't eat dinner, and was about ready to *walk* home rather than get back in the plane. She is, however, an *amazing* woman and (after taking two more Dramamine), climbed onboard.

Took off from O47 about 6pm, and the flight back couldn't have been more different. Silky smooth air the whole way. She took a ton of pics, talked more, asked me to "fly over there so I can get a better pic". She did, however, force me to take her to Braums after we landed. For those of you who don't know what Braums, is, I feel sorry for the quality of life you must endure.

So. . .Thank you Jesus for smooth air coming home! After the flight down, I figured I just spent $9k for a pilot license and I'd never get my wife back in a plane. The flight back made her smile and opened the door to future flights.

Dairy barns at OKState
uc

17 at KSWO. . .washed out by the flash of the camera
uc

And yet another gorgeous Oklahoma sunset.
uc

9k for flying lessons! That is cheap these days!!

My very first thought was....................

Don't step off the wing walk with those shoes.....

My second thought was..... What a KOOL paint /decal paint job......

Third thought was.........................

Decent looking gal...:yes:;)

Ya beat me too it!!!

Agreed!

My girlfriend who is 100% on board with flying with me (as long as it is traveling, not just flying around the pattern) told me much later that she was really nervous the first time I took her up. She didn't want to say anything at the time and she seemed to be handling it just fine but apparently she was white knuckled the whole flight.

my wife is the same way about flying. Loves the plane as transportation, not recreation.

and to the OP, flying from noon to late afternoon is the worst time to fly. Early morning and evening are usually the best.

my wife is the same way about flying. Loves the plane as transportation, not recreation.

and to the OP, flying from noon to late afternoon is the worst time to fly. Early morning and evening are usually the best.

I'll second both statements.

Thanks! I designed that paint job myself so appreciate the compliment. The colors fit with the interior (see pic). It is 100% paint by the way, no stickers on the plane at all.

...and she knows not to step off the wing walk! :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2880.jpg
    IMG_2880.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 53
Dramamine sucks (other than on short notice since it is OTC) - it just makes you drowsy.

You might check into prescription transdermal scopolamine patches for her. FDA approved for motion sickness. I've seen it eliminate motion sickness from people with otherwise severe motion sickness. They can stay on and working for up to 3 days. I personally have used them on a sport fishing trip in very choppy conditions that would have leveled me (and did level others with far more deep sea experience than I). The main side effect is dry mouth. But if you want to use your PPL to travel with your wife to destinations farther away than 45 NM then it may be worth the slight trade-off. We can't avoid turbulence all the time.

A much more expensive, but far more kickass, solution is to have your wife get her own PPL! :D

Last edited:

Ben tells lies, his first thought was about the paint and decals!!!!!

Back