First Flight with my Bride in an LSA

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
Early last spring I began my transitiion to flying planes in the LSA category. My Bride asked me to take her flying when I felt comfortable flying this new class. I had flown the older planes such at the Cub and Champ many years ago but I wanted to fly the new stuff just to see how the new technology and yes different engines were. Well after a good through flight review and check out with Tom my instructor he let me go on my own
I told my bride that I wanted to really work solo for a while to get comfortable with the plane and the engine (Rotax). Well the day came for me to take my bride up. It was just last Wednesday. I checked the weather at least 20 times. Where I fly out of I also check the Marine Weather as well for some of the ASOS locations on various airports do not give winds that are close to the water and they can be quite different in strenght and directon. Well we had a good forcast and it would be smooth.

We got to the airport and my birde first impression of the plane we were scheduled in, was, "It looks qute and fun". The plane was a Tecnan Sierra with a sliding canopy. After our preflight I helped her get in and showed her all of the belts and also to be aware of the stick controls. She had never flown in a plane with a stick before.

As we taxied out I she said the view was so nice and having the canopy open she enjoyed the breaze and smells of the Chesapeake Bay. I told her that the plane will gather speed quickly and the take off will be much shorter than our old plane which was a nice Beech C-33.

With a push of the throttle we were off and yes the take off was quck and clean. My bride said; "Wow what a view of Kent Island and all the marinas" We gently climbed out over the water to stay in the smooth air. I climbed up to just under 2,000 feet so that we could fly in cool air. She told me that it was so quite and smooth. We flew over to the island where we live and I dropped down to a 1,000 feet and she and I just enjoyed the moments of flying low and slow. We then flew up to my childhood farm along the Chester River and I told her that the clock is telling it is time to go back. She said that she did not want to land for the view and the air was so nice. We passed over some circling Turkey Vultures and Ospreys and I slowed down to 65 knots just to enjoy the view a little longer.
Shortly we were in the pattern and we landed with a chirp of the small tires. We put the plane away and as we walked to the car my bride said to me; "It was one of the best flights I have ever had" Then she said "You look 20 years younger when you fly" She then said "When can we go again".

I guess that tells me she likes it alot so we are going again. She then said" We will have to get a plane" I told her that these are too expensive but maybe we will find one someday that will fit our needs. So I am looking to see what we might get. This will be the fun part for there are so many choices from basic to very sophiticated planes with EFIS and MFD's that had more stuff than my old plane. If any one has a sugestion of possible choices that would be great and highly appreciated. Two requirements are that the plane has to be easy to get into and not too noisy.

Thank you for reading and suggestions

John J

fantastic John, glad that she liked it.

I am glad your flight went well. I'm looking forward to taking my fiancee up for her first flight. Of course, I will never take her up in any of the LSAs (since I won't fly in them myself) but still her first flight is something I look forward to.

HI Steve...the LSA are a delight to fly. I'm curious why you won't fly them? If you approach them with an open mind, I think you'll have the same experience JPJ did.
Greg

Eh, to each and to their own. Personally I think the "sport pilot" idea ("Let's let people fly with LESS training!") and all that went along with it is one of the worse things to happen to general aviation along the continued tolerance of homebuilt aircraft and ultralights. Suffice to say I believe in increasing standards, not skirting the bare minimum. I am not going to turn what is otherwise a positive thread about a nice flight into a nasty debate. Let's just leave it at that.

fantastic John, glad that she liked it.

Hi Tony

She did like it and what is amazing after many hours in the C-33 she felt that the plane and I were very much intouch. Very much like a sailplane in many ways. you need a light touch on the controls to make a smooth fight. I felt in many ways like I was flying the planes that I learned in such as the Cub and of course the T-Craft and my old favorite the Champ.

John J

HI Steve...the LSA are a delight to fly. I'm curious why you won't fly them? If you approach them with an open mind, I think you'll have the same experience JPJ did.
Greg

Greg

Thank you very much. As an older pilot I find these planes to be a delight almost close to sailplanes that teach good basic stick and rudder skills. The planes I fly keep you very much alert to cordinated control movement especially on take off and landings. The pilots that I see come from a real cross section from lots of heavy planes or folks with lots of hours flying corporate and just plain folks who love to fly.

Thank you again

I am glad your flight went well. I'm looking forward to taking my fiancee up for her first flight. Of course, I will never take her up in any of the LSAs (since I won't fly in them myself) but still her first flight is something I look forward to.

Steve;

Thank you for sharing your feelings. I am glad that that you are taking your financee up for that is a rear treat. I remember when I took my bride up in my very loud early Cherokee 180 and we flew to Nantucket IFR rfrom OWD. She really loved it except for the noise. Then I got my C-33 and we flew all over New England and down to the Chesapeak Bay Many times IFR. She really loved that plane for it had all the visability in the world and comfort for her. Well I told her that the LSA plane was not the C-33 but a "bit smaller" Guess what it did not matter she took her sketch pad as she always does when we fly even in commercial planes. We just flew along and had a blast flying with the chart, compass,clock and a stopwatch.

I know your fiancee will enjoy the flight. Let us know how it works out

John J

Great story John! Thank you for sharing!

We had an Allegro on the ramp at the museum for a new aircraft day a few months back... it looked like a lot of fun to fly, as to a lot of these LSA's. I'll have figure out a place to rent one sometime soon. If nothing else, the FBO I fly out of is scheduled to get a couple of SkyCatchers next year.

PJ

Thank you; These planes are fun and I have started to look at either to build one or find an affordable one to purchase. Right now I am renting these at a real nice FBO here in Maryland. They do sell the Tecnam line which have been around a while over in Europe. I hope some day to try out the Sky Catcher and now Cirrus is getting one ready; sort of a junior SR 20 looking plane.
Interesting I have come full circle for the planes that I learned in many years ago can now be in the LSA class ie the Cub, T-Craft, Champ and of course the Eurocoupe.

Thanks for reading

John J

Excellent post JP. Thanks for the post. The Sierra is one of the better handling SLSAs out there. Fly alot of different types before you buy one. There is a huge range as far as handling and workmanship. Glad your SIgnificant Other is enthused about a new plane. Sure Makes life easier!!

Have Fun,

Maddog

And, of course, John, I do recommend you take a ride in a Zodiac... but then, you probably already knew that. :)

Excellent post JP. Thanks for the post. The Sierra is one of the better handling SLSAs out there. Fly alot of different types before you buy one. There is a huge range as far as handling and workmanship. Glad your SIgnificant Other is enthused about a new plane. Sure Makes life easier!!

Have Fun,

Maddog

Maddog;

I going to try out a number of types. As I have roomed around the airport and seen a few I am being causious. I would like to try out the Sky Arrow and of course look at some of the home built areas. I do like a nice Stick and Rudder plane.

My bride really loves to fly and I feel so lucky that she likes to come along with me. Will keep you posted on what we get.

Thank you very much

John J

And, of course, John, I do recommend you take a ride in a Zodiac... but then, you probably already knew that. :)

Jay

You reading my mind :yes: I do want to ride in one and I know they are a nice plane.

My bride and I are looking at a plane that we can take on some short 200 miles and out to 500 miles in a few hours. We also only would carry what I call a RON bag (Remain Over Night) for we ship our things Fedex if we go away for more than 2-3 night nights.

Thank you for your notes and will let you know when I can get a ride in one.

John

Jay

You reading my mind :yes: I do want to ride in one and I know they are a nice plane.

My bride and I are looking at a plane that we can take on some short 200 miles and out to 500 miles in a few hours. We also only would carry what I call a RON bag (Remain Over Night) for we ship our things Fedex if we go away for more than 2-3 night nights.

Thank you for your notes and will let you know when I can get a ride in one.

John

That is the EXACT mission I picked the 601XL for. If I ever finish building I'll let you know how it works out.

If I read it right, John, I did my BFR as part of a checkout in that very plane that very day. I also did a quick check out in the Eaglet to have more rental options. Love the big canopy on the Sierra, slightly favor the handling of the Eaglet, but I will have to go out some more and play to make a final determination (shucks, a reason to fly!).

See you around the flight line!

Mike

JLJ there are only two LSAs that you can fly IFR at night. Check out the CT designs page.

They also have enough of the market that after the shakeout, they should survive. Remember, anything you do the the a/c needs approval of the Manufacturer. What do you do when there is no longer an MFR?

JLJ there are only two LSAs that you can fly IFR at night. Check out the CT designs page.
When I was looking (for this was a primary selection criterion), the two were the Tecnam Bravo/Sierra (with proper equipment, including a Rotax 912S (not ULS) engine), and the Zodiac XLi (or, now, the LSi). Has CT joined that group?

If I read it right, John, I did my BFR as part of a checkout in that very plane that very day. I also did a quick check out in the Eaglet to have more rental options. Love the big canopy on the Sierra, slightly favor the handling of the Eaglet, but I will have to go out some more and play to make a final determination (shucks, a reason to fly!).

See you around the flight line!

Mike

Mike;

Congratulations and yes I do remember. The Eglet has more rudder and what Tecnam did was I feel limit the elevator travel to prevent as much as possible at deep stall. The Echo Super will get into one and watch the left wing go down and it will roll over on you if you are not quick. These planes are so much stick and rudder and fun to fly. The Eaglet is really a nice balance between the Sierra and the Echo Super.
Hope to see you there and I do like so much flying there at W29 for it is so nice just to learn from everyone.

See you soon
John J

They also have enough of the market that after the shakeout, they should survive. Remember, anything you do the the a/c needs approval of the Manufacturer. What do you do when there is no longer an MFR?

Dr. Bruce; (airport kid 1)

I am will check them out and what I like about CT is that they are the first to correct a design without question and that I really like how they are making it really work

I am feeling very humbled now with learning a new way to fly. I am going to check it out.
John

Last edited:
We had an Allegro on the ramp at the museum for a new aircraft day a few months back... it looked like a lot of fun to fly, as to a lot of these LSA's.

PJ, did you take a good look inside? The Allegro is the only LSA that I would not fly. I also feel that it's bad for the LSA's in general because it takes the misconceptions some people seem to have about LSA's and makes them come true! :hairraise:

John, sounds like a well-executed and fun flight! I always love to hear about those. Thanks for sharing! :yes:

I did look inside, Kent. While I didn't actually climb into it, it appeared to be roomy, had a nice panel, and seemed like it would be easy to fly from either seat. The only thing I didn't like was that there were no differential brakes, just a squeeze lever on the control stick. What don't you like about it?

A year ago my wife and I had a lovely K35 Bonanza. On a lark we flew it to Yakima WA for the CubCrafters Fall Open House. The company took us to a grass strip a few miles out of town for BBQ, airplane rides and to meet with Sport Cub owners.

My wife had never been in a taildragger or tandem-seat airplane before, so I had no idea how she would take to it. She is not fond of Cessnas because she says the high wing makes her feel closed in. But she gamely went for a ride in the back seat of a Sport Cub with Cub Crafters' Clay Hammond on that gusty morning.

P1030241w.jpg

After 20 minutes or so she came back with this silly grin on her face. After lunch the sales rep drove us back to KYKM. There we were given a tour of the factory, after which my wife was demanding, "Where do we sign?"

Our Sport Cub was delivered last New Years Eve and the Bonanza is gone. We now have 75 hours on the Cub and both of us agree we've never had so much fun with an airplane. We fly three times as often (though not as far, of course) for one-third the fuel and maintenance expenses we were paying before. The airplane draws an admiring crowd wherever we go.

It's not for everyone but we're glad we made the switch.

Last edited:
Jeff;

I feel our spouses seem to like these simple airplanes. We had a Beech C 33 and she loved it but now when I take her out she really likes to see the sights at 80 to 90 knots at 2,000 feet. She does not mind the bumps that one gets every now and then when flying in these planes. She askes me now; "When are we going flying again."

John J

I did look inside, Kent. While I didn't actually climb into it, it appeared to be roomy, had a nice panel, and seemed like it would be easy to fly from either seat. The only thing I didn't like was that there were no differential brakes, just a squeeze lever on the control stick. What don't you like about it?

1. The prop is plastic. Not composite a la MT or many others - Entirely plastic. You can bend the tips several inches with one finger.

2. The wing tips, likewise, are REALLY flimsy. Are these a problem, necessarily? Well, maybe not but it sure made me wonder about the structural integrity of the remainder of the airplane.

3. The use of three Shimano bicycle shifters for controls. One was mixture, one was pitch trim, and I forget what the third was. If it breaks on the bike no biggie. But, this is an AIRPLANE and I want airplane parts, please. Even if they are a tad on the expensive side. (Yes, I know the Wright brothers had a bike shop. That was 105 years ago.)

4. The fuel tank is the pilot's seat. :hairraise:

5. All of the control rods are exposed - From the stick, to between the seats, from the floor to the ceiling just behind the seats, and then into the wings. And there's a big sticker that says "DON'T TOUCH THE RED RODS." Unfortunately, your baggage may not be able to read and could EASILY get stuck in the controls. :hairraise: again.

The Allegro was the first purpose-built LSA that I had ever seen, and it led me to be anti-LSA from the beginning. Now that I've seen that every other LSA seems to be much safer and better built, I really like the whole LSA/SP deal. Those potential pax who see the Allegro are likely to a) not go up in the thing (hell, I'm a pilot and I wouldn't!) and b) think that all these little airplanes are dangerous. :mad:

Back