First Flight with a Purpose other than Flying!

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
Yesterday and today I completed my first overnight flight with a real non-flying purpose. I'm in Atlanta and was supposed to have to work all weekend. Because of this, my wife booked a commercial flight to Indy this weekend to visit her family. She flew up with our 4 month old and my work plans changed and I no longer had to work.

As soon as I realized this on Wednesday I checked the local flight schools schedule and booked a plane for Friday and Saturday. I was thrilled that a plane was available for me to use. The weather was great and I flew from LZU to LOU and refueled the DA20 I was in and continued on to IND! I had flight following the whole way and am really glad I landed at IND. I was looking at flying into a smaller airport nearby, but IND was closer to my inlaws and overnight fees were waived with a top off. I took on 7 gallons and only had to pay a $10 security fee. I was a little out of place with the jets coming in for the Indy 500, but Million Air was great and said that they enjoy when the little guys come in!

Enjoyed Friday in Indy and hung out this morning and went to my nephews birthday party! Weather was great for the return flight this afternoon and I stopped in at CHA for fuel. Best I could tell all the FBOs at the smaller airports close around 5 or 5:30 and I've always wanted to go to CHA anyways. I added 8.5 hours to my logbook and subtracted a few dollars from my bank account. But this is why I got my PPL, and what I always dreamed of doing as a Pilot!

Thanks to everyone on here for the help and I love reading all the great posts on this board!

Last edited:
Yesterday and today I completed my first overnight flight with a real non-flying purpose. I'm in Atlanta and was supposed to have to work all weekend. Because of this, my wife booked a commercial flight to Indy this weekend to visit her family. She flew up with our 4 month old and my work plans changed and I no longer had to work.

As soon as I realized this on Wednesday I checked the local flight schools schedule and booked a plane for Friday and Saturday. I was thrilled that a plane was available for me to use. The weather was great and I flew from LZU to LOU and refueled the DA20 I was in and continued on to IND! I had flight following the whole way and am really glad I landed at IND. I was looking at flying into a smaller airport nearby, but IND was closer to my inlaws and overnight fees were waived with a top off. I took on 7 gallons and only had to pay a $10 security fee. I was a little out of place with the jets coming in for the Indy 500, but Million Air was great and said that they enjoy when the little guys come in!

Enjoyed Friday in Indy and hung out this morning and went to my nephews birthday party! Weather was great for the return flight this afternoon and I stopped in at CHA for fuel. Best I could tell all the FBOs at the smaller airports close around 5 or 5:30 and I've always wanted to go to CHA anyways. I added 8.5 hours to my logbook and subtracted a few dollars from my bank account. But this is why I got my PPL, and what I always dreamed of doing as a Pilot!

Thanks to everyone on here for the help and I love reading all the great posts on this board!

Great job... You just discovered the real advantage of having a ppl.:yes: :goofy:

Fly safe and blue skies to you!!!

Man, this is what GA is all about and the same reason I initially wanted to get a license. Glad you had a great trip!

I actually find flying with a "purpose" like work, or similar to be more rewarding than just flying for fun.

Congrats. Keep making trips like that and next thing you know you'll be starting on your instrument rating!

Thanks everyone!

Here's a pic of my little rental next to the jets!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
I feel fortunate to have an airport like LZU for home base. Seems to be run pretty well and I like the way they keep FW and Heli traffic separated.

I feel fortunate to have an airport like LZU for home base. Seems to be run pretty well and I like the way they keep FW and Heli traffic separated.

Agreed, I've never even come close to having a problem with any of the helo traffic at LZU. It's a good Class D airport.

I have a hard time going up just to burn gas. I need a reason to fly. If I had a cub, that might be different though.

I remember those first mission-oriented flights from 37 years ago like they were yesterday. Congrats on putting your flight privileges to work!

Love LZU too! Is that Diamond one from Advanced?

Thanks everyone!

Here's a pic of my little rental next to the jets!
This is one of my favorite parts about flying into places that cater to some jets.
One of these days I might take the time to talk to one of the pilots of those things, after all I hope to be in one (or commercial airline) some day.

Back