First flight training this Saturday

pd8

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
fly_nalda
Hi PoA,

Finally, I have picked a school and an instructor, and just made my first flight schedule on this Saturday. I am so excited.

The school only said I need to bring my US passport on the first day. I am not sure if I need to apply for the student pilot license or purchase a logbook, etc.

Second question is that I have three options on the aircraft: Piper Cherokee 160 (1 aircraft), C-150 (2 choices), and C-172 (3 choices). I’ve read some threads here saying 150 is good enough but I definitely want to do XC in C-172 or equivalent. I do not consider Piper Cherokee for now.

To lower overall budget for training, is it a good idea to begin basic training with C-150 and move up to C-172 before solo?

Hopefully the weather is calm on the weekend, and I really hope I meet great aviators down the road.

I am also curious about whether switching models mid-training is a good idea.

The school only said I need to bring my US passport on the first day. I am not sure if I need to apply for the student pilot license or purchase a logbook, etc.

I couldn't hurt to ask. I suspect if you don't have those things knocked out in advance that you'll have to do/get them when you arrive, which could take time from your first flight.

I bought a Gleim "Be a Pilot" kit from the flight school, had all books and tools needed except a headset and charts.

Hi PoA,

Finally, I have picked a school and an instructor, and just made my first flight schedule on this Saturday. I am so excited.

Second question is that I have three options on the aircraft: Piper Cherokee 160 (1 aircraft), C-150 (2 choices), and C-172 (3 choices). I’ve read some threads here saying 150 is good enough but I definitely want to do XC in C-172 or equivalent. I do not consider Piper Cherokee for now.

To lower overall budget for training, is it a good idea to begin basic training with C-150 and move up to C-172 before solo?

Hopefully the weather is calm on the weekend, and I really hope I meet great aviators down the road.

Why are you set on doing your cross country in the 172? I say chose the cheapest airplane available as long as there are no issues with weight. You will need a logbook but they have those for sale at the school I'm sure. What ever you start your training in is what you should complete it in, otherwise you are just adding time and money. Remember, you are flying for hours not distance.

I have students change planes often, from the 152 to 172, 172 to the Cherokee. Most use the 172 mainly because we have two. Best to stick to one type IMO after a few hours of perhaps trying them out.

@pd8 your CFI will show you how to apply for the Student Pilot Certificate. You can start the process by going to iacra.faa.gov and registering. You’ll be issued a FTN#, don’t lose that number as your CFI will need it. Get your flight medical soon! You’ll need a logbook, which may be included a pilot kit if they offer that. Besides your passport you’ll need a picture ID, like a drivers license. These are TSA and FAA requirements.

Welcome and good luck with your training.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for your comments everyone. I’ve already got my medical done a week ago. I will keep in mind that the changing the aircraft type won’t be helpful to get things done. Thanks again!

Back