First flight this year.

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I hadn't flown since the first week of November. I couldn't sit any longer. The forecast for Saturday was better than the actual conditions end up being, but still decent.

I asked a CFI friend of mine to go along to keep me out of trouble. Initially, we were going to do a x-c to add time for my instrument rating, but after seeing the winds, he suggested doing pattern work instead and getting comfortable in the air again. Turns out, he was on the money. We had winds aloft at 3 and 6 of 40 and 55kts. Plus, there was a turbulence warning up to 8k.

As we started out, the winds were 210@13 for RW 23. Great winds for getting back in the saddle. We did 6 laps and by the end, the winds were 240@23g32. We took advantage of those winds by doing a cool short field landing. It felt like we were coming down in an elevator. I didn't think we would make the first turnoff, but I wound up having to power up to get to it.

I was definitely rusty and am glad I got that work under my belt.

Then on Sunday, my friend called and asked if I wanted to safety pilot for him for a couple of approaches. We went out and did a couple nice approaches in some bumpy conditions. Taxiing back to the hangar, we picked up a piece of safety wire in the right main. Our last turn toward the hangar, he stopped and asked if the right main was flat. Sure enough, it was. And we were about 150 ft from the hangar. We asked if the FBO had a dolly, but they couldn't find it. So we pumped it up hoping it would be enough to get it back to the hangar. It sort of worked. We pulled it to the front of the hangar, then used a bad wx winch to pull it the rest of the way in the hangar. Nothing like dragging 1100 lbs to show how out of shape you are.

It was great getting out again. I'm looking forward to some decent wx we have coming in this week. I'd love to get out again and build on what I did Saturday.

Just keep thinking "Spring is almost here!" It can't snow forever, can it?

Back