First flight of the year in the Jantar!

akite

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
A. Kite
We had a great soaring day in Northern Utah and I got to fly my Jantar with six other guys. I only flew for 1.5 hours but I had a great time! The lift got stronger the higher you got, a couple of the guys made it to Pocetello, ID and back. Should be a good day agiain tomorrow!

Fantastic, Adam! Wish we could have made it up to visit but the schedule was packed. Take some pics this weekend?

alright! great! Im hoping to have the Cherokee ready in the next week or so. Thinking about taking it out to western KS for Memorial Day Weekend, if I can get the trailer ready to go.

Sweet Adam! the WX here sucks today, but tomorrow looks flyable.

Boise weather was not quite as good, It was soarable and I flew for about 2.5 hours but only got about 20 miles away. There were 6 of us flying, a couple of the guys that got away early were able fly to Jordan Valley. Not a really long distance but respectable, especially for the day. I will have my flight posted on OLC Today or tomorrow.

Brian
HP16T N16VP

Took another flight yesterday for 4.2 hours and got a nice tour of the valley. After a long struggle by me with Dan Wrobel waiting for me at 11K, he and I worked our way up the front range and then jumped to the back range but when I got to Naiomi peak I just didnt have enough altitude to jump the saddle so I had to come down the canyon to the front ridge again. I continued north bumping along trying to get to my silver distance goal but found myself lower and lower. Finally I had to leave the ridge and try the valley. I got low on the south side of Preston, ID with two nice landing fields picked out but finally found weak lift to get me high enough to have glide to the Preston airport. I flew through sink towards the airport and made the radio call that I was in the area and headed in. I came over a big dry pivot field that had some nice lift, at first I thought it was me fumbling with the radio but it was real. I began to climb out of 5300' to 8700'. Dan was low on the other side of town and came to join me. Once we were at 8700 we pushed west across the valley to the next range and climbed to 14k under some nice Cu. We flew south above the ridge to Gun Sight peak and jumped the valley to the south to the Wellsville Mountains. It was smooth sailing and about 6 pm. The Wellsvilles were dead so we turned east back across the valley towards home. When we got to Logan we messed around town for awhile and then came in to land. All in all it was about 100 miles. My logger didnt work as I am trying a new set up but Dan posted the flight to OLC. We were together for all but about 10 miles while he was up on the ridge and I was on the front side low and working norh after I had to come out the first big canyon on the terrain. http://www3.onlinecontest.org/olc-2...4A7667B1B7A7CBAC0FC1A80378?flightId=772005386

adam- nice!!!

100 miles, nearly a land out, now that is some cross country flying!

It appears the Cherokee survived the storm OK so I'll be back to work on the panel this week.

Cool, so did you make your silver distance? No flying for us this weekend. The WX was gorgeoups on friday, and today ain't looking too shabby, but the weekend was bad.

We got Ted Clausing (our old guy who usually launches first, and lands last) to start posting his flight logs on the OLC. He had a small 364Km flight last week Sunday.
http://www3.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=678506375

Tony,
I am glad the Cherokee is fine! I had a blast on this cross country. It was really my first bigger one. I think I got infinately better at thermaling. Looks like better conditions today so I am probably going out to try it again!

Tony,
I am glad the Cherokee is fine! I had a blast on this cross country. It was really my first bigger one. I think I got infinately better at thermaling. Looks like better conditions today so I am probably going out to try it again!

yea. being far from home has an effect of honing your thermalling skills. good work, keep it up.

btw folks, non glider rated pilots are allowed to post in this thread...

Lol Tony..... Man I need to stop looking out of my window. After this weekend, seeing such a beautiful sky is depressing....

Marty left Cal City CA on Sunday with Alby and landed at Jean NV about 5+ hours later after riding 100fpm wave on Telescope Peak to get the altitude needed for final glide to Jean. I expect to find his flight on OLC later tonight.

Back