First Flight N614KT!

Troska

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Beautiful day here in MN. You can see the video of the landing below, my wife had a handheld with her so you can hear the radio calls.

Plane is a Jabiru 3300 powered taildragger Sonex. Looking forward to the rest of Phase I.

=]

Tim

Awesome!! Congratulations on the first flight. Video looked like a great day for it.

Beautiful day here in MN. You can see the video of the landing below, my wife had a handheld with her so you can hear the radio calls.

Plane is a Jabiru 3300 powered taildragger Sonex. Looking forward to the rest of Phase I.

=]

Tim

A VERY big congrats to you.. From one experimental builder to another I know how exciting a first flight can be....:cheerswine::cheerswine::happydance:

Ben,,,, experimental N801BH

Ain't them little-bitty home-made airplanes dangerous?

Tim, I did not know you were building a plane.
I see your first flight was at the Forest Lake airport.
Good job!

Awesome, congrats! How'd did fly? Temp, trim?

VERY cool! Congrats!!!

See it at 6Y9 this year? ;)

Awesome, congrats! How'd did fly? Temp, trim?

It was much more senstive than I'm used to, but I knew that going in. CHT's climbed quickly at full throttle but were managed by leveling off or reducing throttle. Oil Temps were perfect with about 75% of the oil cooler inlet blocked off, and EGTs were all in line the whole time. Trim was okay, I just need a bit more nose up trim with full flaps. It's already been adjusted and recentered to account for that.

VERY cool! Congrats!!!

See it at 6Y9 this year? ;)

Well, I asked for a corridor up to 6y9 for my phase I hours, but the DAR wouldn't go for it. I certainly hope to have Phase I flown off by then, and if so, I will definitely be there in it.

But for you to see it, means you have to fly up there too, right?

Tim

congratulations!!! Great job! Aren't Sonexii just wonderful little airplanes? :)

Very nice! Congrats, Tim!

What was the "engine knock" type sound in the background? Flag hitting against a pole?

A better answer would be "well, they probably would be if you tried to build one." I will never understand how people do that, but am sincerely impressed when they do. Add my congrats to the list.

Only when flown without a flight plan :)

Tim- congratulations!

My wife's cellphone was in the pocket next to the handheld radio. The cellphone does that to the radio whenever its within a couple feet.

2nd flight today. Felt much more comfortable, was able to write some things down and put some time on it. This is going to be fun!

Tim

Very nice! Congrats, Tim!

What was the "engine knock" type sound in the background? Flag hitting against a pole?

=]

Cool! Congrats! :) Do you have a close-up photo that we can see?

Congratulations Tim. What an accomplishment. Perserverance pays off!

Congrats. Why the Jabiru and not the Aerovee, if I might ask?

The short answer: I'm the second owner of this plans set. The prior owner bought everything (including the 3300) set up for Jab 3300. He started working on it, pursued other interests, and the whole kit-n-kaboodle sat at an airport for several years. My choice buying new would have been aerovee for two reasons; 1) Wallet, and 2) I think it would be fun to assemble.

Cool! Congrats! :) Do you have a close-up photo that we can see?

Not yet. :)

I'm in the beginning of the polishing process. Some parts are shiny, some parts are dull, some parts have shiny spots. I'm also not going to paint any of the fiberglass until after the 40 hours of Phase I are finished. So, it isn't the most attractive right now.

However, if I remember right, your farm is just off of a straight line from MN down to see my parents. I'd love to stop in some time and let you look at it in person.

Tim

Awesome, Tim! I hope to see you and your plane up at 6Y9! :yes:

I like the Sonex and the Jabiru. Both neat designs in my book.

Tim
Congrats on the Sonex, now I understand why you didn't forward the owner info to me on the Sonex, you dog you:devil:!!. Glad you got it. I'll be looking forward to seeing it at 6Y9. Better put a lock on it:yesnod:
Maybe I'll build they're new jet or the new single seater that's coming.
Guess I'll just delete the pictures you sent me awhile back now and fly my old Cherokee:lol:

I was drooling over the Jet Sonex at Oshkosh. Can't wait to see one fly.
But from what I've been reading, it may only carry enough fuel for one hour so you won't be going too far with it.

I saw you coming in for a landing the other day.
My wife's comment was "That is a different looking plane"
I was going to stop by and harass you but my wife did not want to.

How did I miss this thread? :redface:

Congratulations!!
I hope things are still going well with Phase 1. That's a slick package as a TD w/ 3300.

(I still kinda miss my Sonex project [#918] and think about picking up someone else's cast-off... Aluminum dust!)

Back