First Flight lesson on January 25, 2014 with my CFI

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
I showed up to the hangar/classroom on time, greeted my CFI. We went through my goals and knowledge of flight etc. Spent about 30-45 minutes talking about airplanes, especially the Cessna 172N and discussed checklists and so on. I learned a lot just in that short time, it was great.

Then we went to the aircraft and we went over a lot of material there as well before even stepping foot in the aircraft. Once we were in the aircraft, we shared reading the checklists and he had me do the entire start-up, taxiing and run-up. Then my CFI had me feel the controls as we took off.

Once airborne, he had me take over control, we did steep turns, slow turns and climbing turns, it was awesome!! Then he showed me the proper traffic pattern and elevations back to the base leg and land. What an experience!

It was really nice to hear him say, "good job", "your doing great", "nicely done". When we arrived back at the hangar and did our post flight talk, he again said I did a nice job. The funny part that he and I both joked about was the fact that I has a little heavy on the controls when mirroring but we would overcome that.

In summary, I had a great time, got along great with my CFI and am ready to go again. My biggest challenge I found was the taxiing part, I had a hard time keeping the aircraft on the center line. We flew in 12-15 kt northwest crosswinds the entire morning and my brain for some reason was thinking left rudder, go right, right rudder, go left. Glad that is gone now...left is left, right is right,...haha.

Sounds like a great start! It will all come together with patience, practice and experience. Keep up the good attitude!

sounds like a great first lesson! that rudder on taxi thing, you'll get it in no time, just a few repetitions and it'll be second nature.

That 172N is a nice choice for a trainer aircraft. 40 deg flaps, good visibility below, enough useful load to carry three adults plus four hours of fuel, medium cruise speed (enough to "get there," not so much that you get "behind" it while on approach). Sometimes they even have rudder trim.

While nothing in aviation is cheap, they are much cheaper than the later Cessnas (R and S), and comparable to earlier ones. And they haven't bloated so much -- a 172R actually has less passenger load with full fuel than a 172N, despite 250 lb higher maximum gross weight.

Sounds like a fun lesson. More to come.

It will ALL get easier, including landing in that crosswind. In Kansas, that's gonna be real normal.

sounds like a great first lesson! that rudder on taxi thing, you'll get it in no time, just a few repetitions and it'll be second nature.

I didn't think I'd ever get the rudder thing. I pushed hard left once when the plane started veering to the left. That pretty much cured me. Just make sure you keep it slow until it clicks. The right rudder on full throttle will come too. I was a slow learner on that as well.

thanks everyone! The wind was blowing pretty good and we were idling at the lowest we could and we were still moving fast while taxiing. instructor had to use the brakes and take over several times.

Congrats,glad you enjoyed the experience. The taxi part will come with time and practice.

I couldn't taxi that thing on the yellow line to save my life for the first 3-4 flights.
Thunk! Think! Thunk! Thunk! Running over all the taxiway reflectors ;)

It will come in time. Look far down the taxiway and use little inputs.

Congrats on your first lesson!
Keep posting on your progress.

I couldn't taxi that thing on the yellow line to save my life for the first 3-4 flights.
Thunk! Think! Thunk! Thunk! Running over all the taxiway reflectors

School 172N's aren't driven, they're herded...

Back