First Flight Lesson - 8/17

Alienswede

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Eiwe Lingefors
Did my intro flight some months back. Got through the TSA approval process (I'm a resident alien). Got my financial ducks in a row and finally was able to call in this morning to make an appointment for my first real flight lesson.

Having waited 25 years for this moment (since I was 7) I really wanted to fly so I asked if the instructor I'd done the intro with was available the same day. As it turns out, he was on vacation but another instructor was available at 4pm.

I really liked the first instructor but as I mentioned, I was far too excited to let someone elses vacation stop me from flying. As it turns out, my "new" instructor is a great guy and I was comfortable with him.

We started off with introductions and then did the weight and balance for the C172R I would be flying. Nothing too exciting here. After this went through the pre-flight check list, my CFI contacted ATC for Taxi and we were cleared for taxi to runway 22. I did the taxi and stayed mostly on the yellow line :) It takes a little getting used to the rudder and differential braking.

We did the run-up check list and then my CFI had me request clearance for take-off. I was surprised to handle any ATC comms on my first flight but appreciated it. I was rather nervous to speak to ATC but with a practice run and just one studder I managed to get the message through ;)

I got to do the take-off and familiarized myself with the necessary rudder pressure needed to stay on the centerline that I've been reading about. I rotated and climbed to 1,500 feet before heading north from CDW to the practice area.

On the way there we went over a number of things but my take-aways were about the oscillation effect after adjusting elevator trim and the feel of the trim tab. We went over some landmarks for pilotage and as we passed over 4N1 my CFI announced our presence and intentions on CTAF.

Once at the practice area I did a few medium bank turns and the CFI demonstrated a couple of steep turns. That was fun. Looking forward to doing some of those later on ;)

It was getting very hazy as we were concluding the turns so we decided to head back to CDW. On the way back I handled the CTAF announcement over 4N1. We checked ATIS and announced our desire to land once we reached the CDW airspace and we were cautioned about 2 nearby airplanes. One which we could spot about 300 feet above us and the other ended up turning in another direction.

ATC told us to announce when we reached Lincoln Park water tower. We did and were cleared for landing on runway 22 immediately as there were no other traffic in the pattern.

I took us in on the base leg and we reduced power, went through the landing check-list and with the instruction of my CFI and his helping hands on the controls, we turned to final and started our descent.

Landing was great and my instructor asked if I wanted to do another one but with just me on the controls. I couldn't say no to that so he had me do the ATC comms for taxi and take-off this time. I messed up asking for take-off but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

So, we went up and around the pattern for another landing. I was nervous and did just fine until we were about 150 ft from the ground when we were hit by a small gust of wind that pitched the nose up and the stall warning came on. I was a bit slow to correct the pitch and before I could add some throttle the CFI took over and took as down.

Overall, I got to do a whole lot more on my first flight than I thought I would. My CFI said I performed well above average which I took as a great compliment. I'm very excited to have begun and can't wait for my next lesson :)

Sorry for the novel. I'll try to be more brief next time!

Great to hear about your first lesson Eiwe. :yes:

Nice write-up. No need to be brief at all. Part of a good flight is a good debrief and a detailed write-up helps facilitate that process.

Note that I didn't limit the good debrief to flight lessons - debriefing every flight is a good habit to get into in my not-so-humble opinion. :yes:

Best wishes for your training. You're starting at a good time of the year since the weather will likely get more complicated as your flying skill progresses. I suspect you'll learn about weather flying as a natural part of your training.

Great writeup. You had a great first flight. I enjoyed reading your debrief. Took me back to my first flights.

Tell us everything Eiwe! Don't keep it short! Sounds like ya did great! When is the next lesson?

Thanks for post'n!:thumbsup:

Back