First flight into New York Bravo

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Well, I am approximately one month into having my PPL. Today for the first time I flew the Archer into New York City airspace and the plane and I both survived! :)

I flew from IPT to FRG via 4N1. I did this to make sure I had a good VFR route where I wouldn't need to talk to New York Approach if they either a) didn't clear me into the Bravo or b) just said "unable" and dropped me entirely, which I fully expected given that it was a Friday afternoon. They gave me clearance, though, and were very helpful. The experience was invigorating, changing frequencies rapidly and being given altitudes and headings to hold that I had been told by friends annoys them if you don't do a good job at holding.

I know a lot of you fly out of these areas regularly, especially HPN, but this was a first for me and a lot of fun. After this, I fully intend on coming in and doing this more often! :)

Nice job man....beleive it or not..i fly through this airspace almost everyday and i havent heard the words "unable" or been dropped from FF in a very long time..over a year....
i was up today..it didnt seem as busy as usual..especially for a good VFR day like today..
flying out of my airport i sort of have no choice but to get FF .. or you would be pretty stupid not to since it lies right at the edge of the class B and if EWR is landing RWY 4L/R, they turn for final approach right over my airport (3N6) at pretty low altitudes..

NY class B is no big deal...just dont fall asleep, and listen up for your tail number..and they WILL let you know when your not on your game up there

Ant

I've been through NYC Bravo a zillion times, never had any problems. I find them more accomodating than Philly, for example. Do what you're told, keep it simple on the radio, and you're good to go.

NY approach spoils you - YES they get gruff sometimes but they always work with you. After flying with them you'll be amazed when you go to some podunk class C and the controller says "unable" to your transition request because he's working 5 airplanes and is too busy.

Tim, that's what Allentown approach did. They dropped me completely while I was on flight following. I had to pick up NY Approach, who took me without issue despite handling significantly more planes in a smaller airspace.

Yeah they are on the ball here. People are impressed when you tell them you fly out of a NY area airport, but in reality ATC is a heck of a lot more accommodating here than just about anywhere else.
I've even gotten FF on days when it took me about 10 mins. to get a word in edgewise on frequency. Controllers around here seem glad to be talking with the VFR targets.

R

Over a decade ago, I was working on my primary solo x/c requirements. One part of my CFI's endorsement was that I was required to request flight following.

This particular day I heard NY Approach refuse about 5 ff requests in a row. Oh well, I was required to clog up the airwaves anyway, what the hey... I called up NYA using the magic words "student pilot" and the response was immediate: 4198F, squawk xxxx" They do try to help!

-Skip

Can we please try to move some of the NY controllers to C90? PLEASE?

The N90 guys are great...they certainly earn their paycheck. I've never had truly "bad" service. They're always very accommodating, albeit with an authentic New York attitude at times.

Congrats on your trip and looking forward to seeing you up here soon.

Had a successful trip returning to IPT yesterday. NY Approach gave me an "unable" so I remained clear of Bravo and made it up to HPN, who graciously allowed me through their airspace, and I made it back home. Yesterday I got to fly with some friends of mine, and it was definitely an enjoyable experience, learned a lot.

I also got ramp checked! I've talked to some friends who have never been ramp checked before, but these things are real and happen! The guy was friendly and we spent more time talking about planes than about the paperwork.

Jason, I'm intending on flying up to HPN a few times in the next few months, so hopefully at some point we can arrange lunch or something!

Yep, and here I am at 70 hours getting ramp checked!

i flew down to eagles nest airport in south jersey just to meet with someone...and to check out all the R/C flying that goes on there...this airport MAYBE gets 10 planes a month landing there.. and while i was on the ground a white SUV with the FAA logo on the side pulls up to the airport and drives down the runway and sits there for about an hr...i was talking and watching the R/C planes fly..i assumed that once i headed back to my airplane I was going to get ramp checked...no worries i have all documents in order..
so i head back over to my plane..do a quick preflight and i hop in and taxi out to runway...the FAA truck comes back up the runway and watches me depart..
I thought for sure i was gonna get ramp checked..it would been a first for me..but nothing happened...and i definitely did not expect an FAA official to be at THAT airport in the middle of nowhere.. i fly into large busy airports regularly and have yet to even see someone from the FAA..so you never know when its gonna happen..
I do think that if the person in the SUV saw me preflighting he would have come over to ramp check me..he could have stopped me while taxiing but he just watched me depart..i would think at such a small dead airport they would be hungry for someone to ramp check..

Ant

Back