First flight in the Decathlon tomorrow

PrincessPilotNJ

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WATXNJMA
Super excited about flying in it with my instructor tomorrow. Have you ever done aerobatics? What does it feel like? :)

I never have, but I have been dropping hints to the wife about buying me the Greg Koontz basic aerobatic package. I'm sure you will have a blast! Report back and let us know.

I did some spin training in a Decathalon years ago. And we did a few aileron rolls and a loop or two. It was fun. Didn't "feel" too different watching the world spin around. I mean, it wasn't like getting bounced around inside a washing machine or anything.

Enjoy it!

Haha! I am envisioning it to be like the most epic roller coaster ever.

Not yet, but scheduled for spin training and basic aerobatics in one in a couple weeks. Can't wait. Have fun!

You're in for a treat! Ive done aerobatics in a Super D a few years ago. FUN FUN FUN. Very good airplane to do acro in, responsive and docile on the controls. Have fun!

You will have a blast. After the Decathlon go find a Pitts to fly in. Nothing quite like doing aerobatics in a biplane. I have been flying biplanes for about 8 years now and have owned several. My wife would never get in and fly with me. Finally a couple of months ago I got her in the Model 12 and did some basic acro. She loved it! Kinda old school and romantic :)laura m12 1.jpg laura m12.jpg

Super excited about flying in it with my instructor tomorrow. Have you ever done aerobatics? What does it feel like? :)
No, but I am jealous. I could do without the negative G's probably.

Cajun likes to get inverted. She's done it a few times. :cool:

Last edited:
No, but I am jealous. I could do without the negative G's probably.

Yeah, negative g's suck! I got a ride in an Edge 540 once (with Hannes Arch at the controls!) and near the end of the flight we went inverted and then pulled 1/2 of an outside loop. Nearly lost breakfast on that one. :eek::mad: The telemetry said we hit 11 g's positive momentarily a couple of times, and while that wasn't exactly comfortable (I grayed out, but didn't quite black out), it's not nearly as torturous as negative.

I have about 8 hours in a Decathlon. Lots of great fun looping and rolling all over the sky.

Rode with a guy in an RV4. It wasn't acrobatic training; I had bugged him for months to go flying and finally at the monthly fly-in I reminded him I wanted to go when he was starting his airplane. It was remarkable. All positive G maneuvers. I think I proposed to him but that wasn't legal yet.

Yeah, negative g's suck! I got a ride in an Edge 540 once (with Hannes Arch at the controls!) and near the end of the flight we went inverted and then pulled 1/2 of an outside loop. Nearly lost breakfast on that one. :eek::mad: The telemetry said we hit 11 g's positive momentarily a couple of times, and while that wasn't exactly comfortable (I grayed out, but didn't quite black out), it's not nearly as torturous as negative.

Yep at first, even -3G is very uncomfortable. But newbies shouldn't let that sway them if they have an interest in continuing acro. You develop a tolerance to G (positive and negative), and though I'd never call negative G literally pleasurable, it gets to be not so bad. But it's a tolerance you must maintain or rebuild after some time off. I push about -4.5G in the Pitts, and it's not that uncomfortable if you do it regularly. But if I don't fly for 3 months and then go push that much, it'll hurt a little. And that's with the upright seating position in the Pitts. Those monoplanes have a reclined seating position much better suited for positive and negative G. I'd put +9/-6G on the Giles 202, which felt about the equivalent of +5/-3.5G in the Pitts.

I'd be really interested in knowing. I have not taken an aerobatics course and it's sad. Yesterday while I was flying the taxi, two experimentals (one an RV, the other I'm not sure) were zipping around me and chatting about their day's aerobatics flights. Made me jealous.

I'd be really interested in knowing. I have not taken an aerobatics course and it's sad. Yesterday while I was flying the taxi, two experimentals (one an RV, the other I'm not sure) were zipping around me and chatting about their day's aerobatics flights. Made me jealous.

There's one school just north of Birmingham AL if you're in this area. Here's the address:

http://www.gkairshows.com/

Yeah, we have some great pilots at my po-dunk airport. Catching them at the right time is all it takes.

Back