First flight in our "new" Ercoupe

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
A few months ago a group of us "pilots with kids" realized that our pilot-rated children could no longer afford to fly even the clapped-out rental 150s at our local FBO. Over a few beers, we started plotting a way to help.

All of us were already aircraft owners -- but we all owned high-performance (read: expensive to fly) aircraft. We realized that we'd have to come up with a cheaper alternative, and started casting about for a solution.

One of the original members of our group was an Ercoupe fanatic, so we started looking at these cute little antiques. I had flown one, once, back in the mid-90s, and thought they were fun -- so when we found one for sale nearby, we asked the owner to bring it into the shop for a pre-buy inspection.

This was a '46 Model C, and it's main advantage was that it was LSA-eligible. This was appealing for some of our original partners, who were worried about obtaining or maintaining their medicals. Unfortunately, this bird had more troubles than attributes, even though the owner had invested significant money into fixing up the old plane. We decided to pass on that plane.

In the meantime, one of our partners successfully re-upped his medical, and the other medical-challenged partner dropped out of the picture -- so we broadened our search to include later-model (non-LSA) Ercoupes. These had the distinct advantage of a 200-pound greater useful load. Eventually we found a '48 Model-E that had been in a ground accident. While on its way to be delivered to a new owner, a fuel-truck driver backed into the wing, crushing it. That sale was off, and the seller put the plane on a flat-bed and returned it to Iowa.

The seller obtained new fabric wings (the damaged ones were metal), started painting them -- and then (for reasons unknown) decided to sell the aircraft and wings as-is. That's where we came on the scene.

One of our partners is an A&P/IA grand champion home-builder. With his abilities, finishing the painting and installation of the new wings was a simple, several-day project -- so we bought the plane and transported it to our home base in Iowa City.

The aircraft was lovely, low-time, with a good panel and low-time engine. Everything in the 60-year-old aircraft worked like new -- a true rarity -- and we immediately started sanding the wings.

Then the "Great Flood of '08" hit the Iowa City area, and the project ground to a halt. To assure its safety in the flooding (which, thankfully never reached the airport), we hung the little 'Coupe from the engine hoist hanging from the ceiling in the shop, like a big Xmas ornament!

Then, when the flood waters receded, we departed on a long-planned week-long flying vacation, so the 'Coupe project was back-shelved again.

After we returned from vacation last Thursday, we drove over to our partner's shop -- and there, out front, was the Ercoupe -- wings mounted and painted! While we were gone, our partner had finished the project -- and it was drop-dead gorgeous!

Of course, even though we were just back from a week of flying, we had to fly it. The only thing keeping us grounded was a lack of insurance -- which I had been working on before we departed for vacation. So, it was a simple phone call to my broker to get things rolling, and -- within an hour -- we were covered and good to go!

Insurance being insurance, they require all of us get signed-off by a CFI before we can fly solo. I need to get an hour of instruction before soloing. My wife, Mary, needs five hours, while my son -- a new pilot last fall -- needs TEN. This to fly what was designed to be "Everyman's Plane" -- an aircraft that could be flown with minimal instruction. Ah, yes, the bureacrats at work once again.

Luckily, Keith -- our A&P/IA partner -- has significant Ercoupe time, so he was good to go right away. So, we were able to fly with him, no problemo.

First, the pre-flight. It's a 60-year-old antique, and things are a bit different. To check the oil requires opening the cowling with a screw-driver. That's where the gascolator is, too. Not exactly user-friendly.

Then, check the control surfaces -- but know that you can't move the ailerons, because the control yoke is connected to the nose wheel in an Ercoupe! That's right, you steer the plane on the ground like a car, using the yoke like a steering wheel -- rendering the ailerons immovable on the ground.

The rudders can be moved, but just a little. They are inter-connected with the ailerons, and there aren't any rudder pedals. You can't check the flaps, cuz there aren't any. The rest of the pre-flight is normal.

Start up is a bit interesting. One pump of the primer, turn the key to "both" magnetos, and then PULL the starter handle out, hard. This engages the starter, and the little 85 horsepower Continental pops right over. The pull starter seems odd but remember that contemporary aircraft of the Ercoupe -- Taylorcrafts, Luscombes, Cessna 120s -- all had to be hand-propped, so this set up was way ahead of its time.

Once started, you taxi out to the runway just like driving your car. There's a brake pedal on the floor, and you steer it with the yoke. After many years of flying "regular" planes, this was the weirdest part of all...

Run-up and mag check is normal, and then we trundled out onto the runway. This first flight was "NORDO" because we didn't wear headsets (and there's no speaker for the radios), so we just shouted at each other over the engine noise.

And wind noise! The Ercoupe has a three-part canopy -- two side glass panels that slide UP out of the fuselage, and one moveable roof panel that can be slid to either side. When the temperatures are warm, you can fly it with the top down -- just like a convertible. And, of course, the temperature was pushing 90, so we opted to leave the sides down, elbows in the slipstream!

After a clearning turn, onto the runway we rolled. Without further ado, Keith fire-walled the throttle...and not much happened but a lot more noise. Slowly, we began to pick up speed, and -- after about 2000 feet of roll -- we hit 60 mph and just levitated off the runway! The bird flew!

Glancing nervously at the wings (that we so recently had moved on a trailer), I was gratified to see no signs of flex or twist. The little plane kept accelerating, slow but sure and we were soon climbing out at a whopping 300 feet per minute. Sedate, to be sure -- but with 420 pounds of "guys on board", and hot weather, we were happy to see even THAT anemic rate of climb.

Rounding the bend from crosswind to downwind to base to final, we were lined up with a slight crosswind from the left. Without rudder pedals, Keith simply crabbed the plane a bit all the way to the number, holding a fast 70 mph "just in case". This resulted in a floating touchdown, but we figured too fast was better than too slow for our first landing.

Then, it was my turn! This time I grabbed my headsets, so we could test the radios -- and quickly discovered a nasty surprise. At 6' tall, I was unable to wear my Lightspeed headset with the top up! My neck was bent over at about a 70-degree angle -- something that would make flying "interesing". How in hell I hadn't noticed this before is beyond me, but I guess I just never sat inside with the top up and my headsets on!

No problem -- we simply flew with the center canopy section pushed a bit more over onto Keith's side (he's 6" shorter than me), and my head sticking outside. No problem with the temperature pushing 90 degrees, but this would be a serious impediment next winter! More on this later...

The throttle is this cool, art-deco quadrant slider, and I firewalled it and waited. Normally, with the temps this hot, I'd lean to best RPM -- but the Ercoupe has no mixture control. The carb is wired to full rich (there's an STC'd mod to add a mixture control, but -- at $900 -- we've decided to wait on that one), so no dice there.

In another slider next to the throttle (where you'd expect the mixture control to be) is the elevator trim control. Cool looking, but not exactly "normal"...

Weirdness aside, the plane flies like a dream! With dual rudders, and limited rudder movement, combined with full-span ailerons, it's surprisingly responsive in roll. Climb is artifically anemic, because of the limited elevator travel (which makes the plane "stall proof", as advertised), but certainly adequate for this class of aircraft. In the end, it's a "knock-around" aircraft for us, and a "cheap flying" aircraft for our kids -- and it fits the bill in both regards. Our estimate is that we should be able to rent the plane to our kids for just FOURTEEN DOLLARS AN HOUR, dry!

Coming around on final, I pulled the yoke back to a steady 65 mph -- a bit slower than Keith's approach speed. The Model E has a "stop" in the elevator that -- if pulled to that spot -- will hold the plane in the landing attitude. Then, in the final flare to land, you give the yoke a good, hard pull -- which allows you to pull PAST the spring-induced stop, giving you the extra flare necessary to land nosewheel up.

So, we're happy. All that remains is for our CFI to sign us all off (unfortunately, he's currently on the "American Barnstormers Tour", flying his '29 Travel Air all over the midwest), and we'll be good to go. What a fun little plane to fly!

And what about that "head out the top" problem? Having a partner who is a grand champion homebuilder is a real plus. Within two hours Keith had built a modified bucket seat for me that lowers me a full two inches, and pushes me back a full two inches -- giving me all the headroom I might need. Now I can keep my head in the plane, with or without headphones...

Now, we're gonna have to arm wrestle to see who gets to fly the 'Coupe to Oshkosh this year!

:goofy:

Now, we're gonna have to arm wrestle to see who gets to fly the 'Coupe to Oshkosh this year!
Cool beans! Sounds like a fun airplane! I've always wanted to fly one to see what they're like. IOW has become one of my stops on the way to OSH every year....I'll see if it's available for viewing when I stop at IOW for fuel. Or else, I'll admire it when it's parked at OSH. :yes:

Our estimate is that we should be able to rent the plane to our kids for just FOURTEEN DOLLARS AN HOUR, dry
Nice. It is always tempting to try and find such an airplane as it would be fun to have 'affordable flying', instead of constantly thinking about the cost behind every minute.

Too much focus on G1000s, fancy gizmos, and $150 / hr 172s at FBOs these days.

B)
I just got done drooling all over my computer imagining myself writing a similar story soon.

I was helping work on my school's Ercoupe last night. It's ready for wings now. Meanwhile my student just bought a flyable Ercoupe that should hopefully arrive Tuesday. I'm on the insurance already.

Whaddya mean, just Oshkosh? The National Ercoupe Convention is nearby in Wausau, WI the weekend prior! :D I expect to see you there!

www.ercoupe.org
(not Safari-friendly; works in Firefox)

Whaddya mean, just Oshkosh? The National Ercoupe Convention is nearby in Wausau, WI the weekend prior! :D I expect to see you there!
He won't be...he's throwing his own party at IOW that weekend (and I'm planning to go, even if I don't make it to Oshkosh).

That is great. We have to come visit and see this plane.

You know I really missed Jay's posts after I left Rec.Avation about 5 years ago.

But as Matt has said......

I know, I know. Pix are coming.

Just to hold you guys off, here's a link to some pix we took when we picked it up from the seller's hangar, in Knoxville, Iowa:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2008_-_ercoupe_n94856.htm

I'll post pix of the finished project ASAP...

Great write up! I enjoyed flying the Ercoupe which was at Rapid Air in Grand Rapids, Michigan, back in '94. I only flew it in summer though. I don't know how warm it would be, even with the canopy closed.:blueplane:

I wanted an Ercoupe so badly back in '05. I was talked out of it by my wife, and kids. They thought I should get a 4 seater. Sigh, if only they would use the airplane. It fit me perfect, and with all that dihedral, I love the way they just float along, minding their own business.

You got a nice bird. Dual nose fork, and bubble canopy. No rudders, and a great panel. Perfect low cost, safe flying.

Jay, that plane is an absolute charmer- beautiful!

I love watching when Keith is taxiing back in, and turning the "steering wheel."

awesome Jay, I flew the coupe up at Green Castle a fair amount and really loved it.

Gorgeous!

When was it 'wrecked' previously? I was down at OXV last year at their annual Ercoupe gathering, and this one looks familiar. In fact, I remember talking to a guy there that was supposed to be ferrying an Ercoupe to K.C. the next day. Was it this one?

I tried fitting in Tony's Ercoupe last fall, but at 6' 7" myself, I don't think ANY design of seat pan could help me out. ;) :(

Gorgeous!

When was it 'wrecked' previously? I was down at OXV last year at their annual Ercoupe gathering, and this one looks familiar. In fact, I remember talking to a guy there that was supposed to be ferrying an Ercoupe to K.C. the next day. Was it this one?

I tried fitting in Tony's Ercoupe last fall, but at 6' 7" myself, I don't think ANY design of seat pan could help me out. ;) :(

I don't know all the details, but that fits with the story I've been told. It's a heart-breaking story, but I hope the previous owner was compensated by the FBO's insurance?

As for size -- nope, at 6' 7", you ain't getting in any Ercoupe! It's a SMALL plane...

Has Mary flown it yet?

Who's going to fly it to Oshkosh?

Rod Madsen

She's flown it, but not been signed off for solo flight yet.

Mary was supposed to get checked out in it today, but with the winds gusting to 22 knots, at a 50 degree angle to our one open runway, she opted to wait for a nicer day.

As an aircraft color, I think that orange is severely under-rated. I love the color scheme you guys used.

A really wonderful execution. Simple, classy, not too modern not too old fashioned. A real hit in Wisconsin for sure!

Congratulations!

--Matt Rogers

Glad to see another low and slow flyer! Welcome to the low and slow club!!!

Glad to see another low and slow flyer! Welcome to the low and slow club!!!

Yep, we flew the Ercoupe from Washington, IA to Green Castle, IA, following Hwy 218 and I-380. It was fun to have my arm out the window, looking down on the cars that were going precisely the same speed as us! (We were facing a bit of a headwind at altitude.)

Everything happens SO slowly! Flying the pattern seems to take forever, and I've *got* to start flying a smaller pattern. In the Pathfinder I'm used to flying downwind at the Ercoupe's top speed, so I'm having to re-learn patience, and how to fly a tight pattern...

Best part? Mary and I flew the 'Coupe to brunch, then Mary flew with her instructor (and got checked out in the 'Coupe) for 1.4 hours, and then I filled the tanks. It took a whopping 8.4 gallons!

In the Pathfinder, that would've been 28 gallons. Gotta love it!

Yep, we flew the Ercoupe from Washington, IA to Green Castle, IA, following Hwy 218 and I-380. It was fun to have my arm out the window, looking down on the cars that were going precisely the same speed as us! (We were facing a bit of a headwind at altitude.)
And that car that abruptly did a 180 in the middle of the highway and started going the other way? That was a drug runner who thought the cops were onto him!:rofl::D

Sounds fun!:yes:

Back