First Flight in a Twin

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
On Sunday my instructor and I were supposed to do a short cross country from IPT to LNS in the 172, mainly to check out the pilot shop there. There are a good number of items I need to buy, but haven't yet because someone (*cough* Missa *cough*) had promised to take me to another pilot shop.

Saturday, my flight instructor called me and said "Hey Ted, I know we were supposd to fly to Lancaster tomorrow, but how would you like to fly an Aztec to Maine and back?" Someone he knew, who had a '69 Aztec D needed to get dropped off in Maine and then have the plane returned home, as he was getting home via different means.

The flight up I sat in back (with the airplane's owner flying and my instructor right seat), taking careful notes on what he was doing, where items were, procedures, etc. The view was beautiful, and I got some snapshots of the sun setting behind us. We made it up the some 530 nm in 3.5 hours there. As we landed at KFVE the sun had just about completely set. The airport staff was very friendly, and the airport was actually quite nice from what I could see.

We loaded up on fuel (a quick 90 gallons... that thing is thirsty) and then I took left seat for the return flight. My instructor went over the procedures I was going to do and the thought processes I needed to have in mind before we took off, what I would notice as different flying a twin vs. a single, not to mention the fact that the plane had a total of 500 hp. He briefed me on using asymmetric thrust for turning, rather than the pedals and brakes. Back taxi, line up, cowl flaps open, ready with the gear up knob and how to use it, etc. Mixture full rich, props max RPM, throttles full open and go! The twin didn't push me into my seat, but it just goes and keeps on going, and doesn't let up. Positive rate of climb, gear up, and go! Climb climb climb, it just keeps on climbing, seemingly unstoppable. Climb to 6500 and establish cruise of 160 kts, 14 gph each engine.

The first half hour consisted of me getting used to the inputs of the Aztec, and how different they were to the planes I was used to flying. Pulling back or pushing forward even a hair on the yoke makes the plane nose up or down. I found myself turning the yoke, and inadvertently also providing just a feather of pressure back or forward, causing the nose to move. After about 30 minutes I got the hang of it, though. The rest of the flight was smooth with minor inputs needed. Then came the descent to land back at IPT. Night landing in a twin that I had never flown before. Yikes. With heavy instruction, I managed to get the plane on the ground, fairly smoothly. Although I'm not sure how much of that was me and how much was my instructor.

While it certainly wasn't an ideal lesson seeing as I went into an aircraft I'd never flown before and went straight into a night flight with it (something I have minimal time with as well), it was an amazing experience. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get to go along. The flight home was VFR night conditions the whole way. Flying with the stars at night is every bit as wonderful as I thought it would be, and doing so in a twin just made it all the much more fun for me. I loved just looking out the window and seeing the view that commercial airline passengers can only dream of. Yes, I was, first priority, always flying the plane. :)

I now have as the newest entry in my log book: 3 hour night cross country in a PA-23-250, so now showing 3 hours of MEL with a total of 15.2 hours. :)

Now all my pilot friends here hate me. :D

cool Ted. that first multi flight is certainly fun. yours is even better cause you didnt have to pay for it!

Which is why we all hate him.

Right place, right time. Happens to all of us! :D

And yes, not having to pay the some $800 in fuel costs for that trip was very nice. :)

I really am envious... not so much because it was multi time, but because it was FREE multi time!!;)

I really am envious... not so much because it was multi time, but because it was FREE multi time!!;)

Yes, that was about $800 of someone else's money. :)

Wow, lucky you. That's a great experience.

Very lucky the owner consented to letting you fly left seat with the instructor. I know my insurance company would probably not been very happy (or maybe they would be happy cause they wouldn't have to pay any claims).

Flying twins are fun!!!

I'm 100% sure there was "no-coverage" on that flight. Either way, nothing bent, nothing harmed. BTW - Was you instructor able to log the time for you?? That would really make free multi-time worth it.

Glad you had a good time.
HW

Last edited:
I'm 100% sure there was "no-coverage" on that flight. Either way, nothing bent, nothing harmed. BTW - Was you instructor able to log the time for you?? That would really make free multi-time worth it.

I think you're right about the insurance unless the CFI met the OPW on the policy or was a named pilot. Even then, if there was a claim and the insurer was able to prove that instruction was being given to a non-insured, they could easily refuse to pay. FWIW, putting a "dual given" entry in the "student's" would be all the proof they needed. And even though there was no damage or claim, such a record could come back to haunt if there ever was a claim in a similar situation (non-insured pilot in the left seat and a CFI in the right).

Was you instructor able to log the time for you?? That would really make free multi-time worth it.

Yes, there is a line in my log book for 3.0 hours of multi-engine dual received night cross country in a PA-23-250 that my isntructor was able to put in for me. :)

Even if it couldn't have been logged or I was sitting in back the whole time, then it was still worthwhile simply because of the experience. On Wednesday night I rode in back when a friend of mine was doing an IFR training flight. I wasn't in any control of the plane and was sitting in back (most uncomfortably) but it was a worthwhile experience simply because I was able to pay attention to what was going on, see what my friend was doing, etc. and just absorb and learn from it. I'm a fan of exposure to new/different things. :)

Back