First flight for more family members

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I'm taking my brother-in-law and his wife for a flight from FDK over downtown Baltimore, over the Bay to Easton. If you had to chose between the C172 and the C182, which would you pick? The C172 has a moving map which might look cooler to passengers, but the C182 is more expensive.

Thanks!

Ben, I'd always default to the 182, but that's just because I like the way they fly better. By the same token, you're just flying to fly, not to travel, and in the 172, you won't be worrying as much about the cashish you are spending. Plus it's cold, so performance is a breeze.

I say, 172, baby!

===

BTW: Next Texas trip is (__________date expected).
Next Dallas-area concert is (________________).

Thanx in advance

I vote for the 172.... I know that in measurements the 182 is bigger, but somehow the 172 seemed - well brighter inside.... and if they don't want to look outside, they can look at the moving map!

I owned a 172 for 3 years and started the tradition of taking up family members.... still miss it for that. Of all the arguments about the minor details of high versus low wing, nothing beats a high wing to take someone up sightseeing who wants to look straight down. I've noticed pilots slowly gravitate to only looking ahead, but passengers look down first.

Thanks, guys. If you want to keep replying I'd still be interested, but I found out that interestingly enough, out of about eight C172s none are available at that time--only the one and only non-G1000 C182 is available. Guess that settles it for this time!

Spike, thanks!

Next Texas trip is (late January).
Next Dallas-area concert is (late spring).

Last edited:
Three people? Newbies to GA? C-182, no question. More power, climb and stablility.

As long as you don't get tossed around too much, I'd go with the one that 'looks' better. People freak when they hear your plane is 40 years old. :)

wangmyers said:
LOL--I went in the 1998 C182S

Good choice! I don't know the year of the 172 you had the option on, but a 98 182?? Hands down I'd take that one.:yes:

Back