First Flight FAQ

asechrest

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
asechrest
I'd like to create a one page or less list of FAQs designed to answer the most common questions and assuage the fears of a nervous first time flyer. I'll be taking folks up in a 172.

What are the most common questions you've had, and what answers have you given? My contribution to the question list: 1) "How dangerous is this, really?" 2) "What happens if the engine quits?"

"Would you like to have the 2nd best seat in the aviation world?"

I ask folks if they want me to tell them what I'm doing - explain stuff to them. Some do, some don't. So, for example during the run-up I just tell them what's going on - 'we're doing some engine and ignition checks here to make sure everything is running right before we take off..." seems to make folks feel better instead of just watching you do stuff.

I get a lot of questions about "What is this?" - as they point to an instrument or gauge. How high are we? How fast are we going? How do you know which way to go? ...are obvious ones.

As for the safety question I usually tell folks that really want to know that statistically speaking we're somewhere between driving in a car and riding a motorcycle. For those that seem to be fixated on how safe is it - I'll make an effort to point out other airports along the way we could use to land, that being high is our friend (more time to make decisions, find a place to land), how my GPS has a 'nearest' function to quickly find another airport should we need one, etc... That usually makes them feel better...

FAA requires we brief all our pax. Since you are doing this you might as well merge these two ideas into one document.

Intro: Flying is a bit more complicated than driving in that driving is on two axis and flying is on 3. Additionally flying requires instructions and communications from ATC which must be adhered to. They may need to warn us of on coming traffic to avoid. A higher level of vigilance is required since if the engine quits we need to realize it asap and find an appropriate spot to land/crash. For these reasons I ask you follow these rules:

1. Do not talk to me when I or ATC is talking on the radio as I need to hear that communication.

2. An airplane can be almost anywhere going in any direction with few limits. I am watching for other aircraft to avoid collisions but it is difficult and always better to have a 2nd set of eyes so please feel free if you wish you can help watch for other aircraft. If you see another aircraft you may brake rule 1 if it appears to be heading for us or on a collision course. If you just observe an aircraft that is not definitely on a collision course for example while we are in the traffic pattern and they are not on a collision course, You can always just point at the aircraft without saying anything and I will pick them up visually as well and nod my head.

3. Please observe the sterile cockpit (no talking) when I am taxing, prepping for take off, adjusting instruments and radios, going through check lists or taking off, or in the traffic pattern departing or returning. If you need to say something raise your hand and I will nod if its ok to talk at that moment.

4. If you get excited and forget the above I might put my hand on your knee to remind you. If you keep forgetting your knee might be bruised before the end of the trip.:)

5. --instructions on how to get in and out of the a/c, use of safety belts and equipment, what I might ask you to do in the rear event of an off air field landing like hold the door open.

6. Flying is like being on a boat you might get motion sickness if you focus too much inside the cockpit you can avoid this usually but just looking outside the cockpit or laying your head back and resting your eyes. If you get hot, sweaty or clammy this could be a precursor of getting motion sickness. Direct cool air on your face, wet a rag and wipe your face and the sick bags are right HERE!

(you may also have a high altitude brief when flying above o2 levels; or over water brief or mountain brief)

"it WILL be a 'bumpy' ride."

not that I've taken non-CFI passengers yet, but I'd like to allow new passengers time to let that sink in, so maybe it's less of a 'surprise' to those expecting it to be as smooth as your average commercial flight.

let me edit this.....

"it WILL be a 'bumpy' ride, and it's perfectly normal and safe. we just ride thru it. enjoy it."

Last edited:
What wasn't mentioned in the FAA link is a question I am asked by many first-timers: pilot incapacitation, or "What do I do if something happens to you?" I guess I look sickly or something. :lol::dunno:

I wouldn't make this an offered point, but be prepared to answer. I mention how I am talking or at least listening to ATC at all times; Push here to talk and ask whoever is on the other end for help; if no one answers push here (121.5 button on the COM) then try again; most of all, stay clam -- non-pilots have done this in exactly that circumstance and survived.

Hmm, common questions:

1. Did you file a flight plan? (No, this is a simulated drug running mission.)
2. Am I going to live through this? (I have a vested interest in keeping me alive, so I'd say you're good.)
3. Does this plane have parachutes? (Do you have parachute training?)
4. Does this plane have radar? (Do you see a big huge dome on the top of the cabin?)
5. Do you normally fly this plane? (In my defense, the Other Guy left the intercom switch in an odd setting and it took me a few minutes to figure it out.)
6. How many passengers can you carry? (I would normally limit it to three, as the baggage compartment is typically too full for a fourth.)
7. Don't pilots normally wear uniforms when they fly? (Yeah but it's still at the dry cleaners, so I had to wear jeans and a polo shirt instead.)
8. Don't we have to go through some kind of security first? (I'll give you a pat down if you want, lady.)
9. Do we have to go through customs afterwards? (Possibly, if I screw up my navigation, like really badly.)
10. This airplane only has one engine? (Don't be silly, of course not! The new one's sitting in a crate at the mechanic's shop!)

I tell all my passengers the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport!

...I also had some nervous flyers that stared to freak out when they heard I was gonna climb to 8500' since the first leg was at 2500'. They thought the higher we went the further we would drop like a rock if something went wrong. I had to pull out the POH and show them the glide ratio chart and that the higher were, the MORE time we had to get down and land safely...(short of a wing falling off that is)

Last edited:
Just ask them when is the last time they had confession?

What wasn't mentioned in the FAA link is a question I am asked by many first-timers: pilot incapacitation, or "What do I do if something happens to you?" I guess I look sickly or something. :lol::dunno:

I wouldn't make this an offered point, but be prepared to answer. I mention how I am talking or at least listening to ATC at all times; Push here to talk and ask whoever is on the other end for help; if no one answers push here (121.5 button on the COM) then try again; most of all, stay clam -- non-pilots have done this in exactly that circumstance and survived.

"If it makes you feel more comfortable, I can always snap on some blue latex gloves and ask you to remove your shoes..."

I tell them that the plane in the air is similar to a canoe in a river and will bump or move up and down in the same kind of way. That air is a fluid medium but that unlike water you can't know when/where the bumps or waves might be so it takes getting used to. It's normal for the plane to have some movement like that.

Back