first flight experience and a couple of questions

damageinc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Damageinc
So bascily i went for one of those discoery flights last weekend, overall had a great time, my instructor said i handled the aircraft very well and also was a little more comfortable with sharp turns than most students are the first time. He also asked me if i wanted to see what 0zero gs felt like. I was a little aprehensize but i said yes, so he put us into something that felt like a freefall. It was kinda scary mayby cause i wasn't controlling the aircraft at that point but im wondering if mayby i had prepared myself for the gs by tensing up a bit it would have been a bit more comfortable.

I have always wanted to do one of those civilian dogfighting programs but have always feared that i would feel too uncomfortable pulling the negative Gs not so much the positive. I'm pretty sure i dont get motion sickness, i have been on pretty rough seas and through bad turbulence also didnt feel anything sickness wise in my experience last weekend. I know i should probably just bite the bullet and i will probably like it but im wondering if mayby some more time in a 152 would help a bit.

I have always wanted to do one of those civilian dogfighting programs but have always feared that i would feel too uncomfortable pulling the negative Gs not so much the positive. I'm pretty sure i dont get motion sickness, i have been on pretty rough seas and through bad turbulence also didnt feel anything sickness wise in my experience last weekend. I know i should probably just bite the bullet and i will probably like it but im wondering if mayby some more time in a 152 would help a bit.

The nice thing about an airplane is you can do as many G's or as little G's as you want. You are paying the civilian dogfighting company--so I doubt they're going to do anything that'll make you uncomfortable.

I also doubt you'll be doing much for negative G's. I don't think there is a person out there that likes them.

The body naturally learns to deal with all Gs over a short time, as you may see if you take a few more flights, so enjoy.

My response is that was not a proper "discovery flight." It went far beyond what should even happen during private pilot training. Certainly, the aircraft can handle it but it was not proper for a primary student, let alone an introductory flight. Sorry, but I would not recommend that particular flight instructor for training.

First, I'm glad you want to continue your training -- flying has been the center of my life for nearly 40 years, and I've enjoyed it all. I hope your instructor sticks to the program from here on in, because things like "sharp turns" and zero-g flight on a Discovery Flight can put people off flying completely. In any event, the more you fly, the more your body will get used to the different sensations of flight, so keep at it.

thanks for all the replys, yeah it is definetly something i'm going to stick with, my instructor was actually very nice he didnt do anything that i didn't want him to do. I probably wont be able to take on lessons till next summer though because i will have too much work to do for college. I was actually supprised at how smooth the plane flew even though it was so small and even when we did hit a rough spot it felt like there was more control over the aircraft than a larger aircraft.

My response is that was not a proper "discovery flight." It went far beyond what should even happen during private pilot training. Certainly, the aircraft can handle it but it was not proper for a primary student, let alone an introductory flight. Sorry, but I would not recommend that particular flight instructor for training.

no pencil floating during private training? :( "This is your instructor speaking and there will be absolutely no FUN during training"

i agree it probably wasnt right for a standard Dride, but if the guy asked for it or said it was OK.

Had the trainee asked for it, maybe, but the zero-g demo is definitely not on my list of maneuvers to offer on a Discovery Flight -- too much chance the Discoverer doesn't have any idea what it really means, and creating a situation in which the Discoverer barfs on a Discovery Flight is a violation of the Law of Effect. The Discoverer would really have to beg to get me to demo a stall, spin, steep turn, zero-g, etc., on a DF. All I want to show on a DF is preflight, start, taxi, takeoff, departure, cruise (maybe a bit of sightseeing), return, pattern entry, and landing. If nothing else, it's hard to fit more into the standard 30-minute profile for this flight. For a 60-minute DF, I'll fly to an airport maybe 25 miles away (preferably one to which driving isn't convenient, like Martin State to Bay Bridge), land, hit the soda machine, saddle up again, and go home -- really gives a good idea of what you can do with an airplane.

Remember -- we're selling fun and convenience. For me, anything that isn't absolutely for sure in that category (and zero-g is only fun if you don't puke, and even with all their training, half the NASA astronauts get spacesick their first time up) is out.

Last edited:

Then, to be honest, had you been my intro flight CFI, I probably would not be a pilot right now.

My discovery flight was filled with a landing at KABQ, just for the hell of it, followed by roller coasters, in which we floated a pencil (and my Dr. Pepper bottle). It was so cool, it was something I had to stick with.

You're not into having fun with aviation, eh?

Then, to be honest, had you been my intro flight CFI, I probably would not be a pilot right now.

My discovery flight was filled with a landing at KABQ, just for the hell of it, followed by roller coasters, in which we floated a pencil (and my Dr. Pepper bottle). It was so cool, it was something I had to stick with.

You're not into having fun with aviation, eh?
Sure, but that's not how I'd go about it. A lot of students get squirrelly just with stalls. I wouldn't jump right into zero G maneuvers, at least not with a prospective flight student. Even if requested, I'd do a couple other maneuvers first to see how they handle things.

The thing that stuck out at me here was the CFI offered it. There are other connotations here.

the CFI is bored out of his mind after 10 million trips around the pattern with students that day. he likes to have fun too.

On my first DF, the CFI did a stall and a 0-G maneuver. He offered up the zero-G thing and put his car keys on the dash so I could see those float. I thought it was awesome! Then, I asked about stalls and if it was a bad, scary thing. He said it really wasn't and asked if I wanted him to demonstrate one. I said sure so he took the controls and did a power on stall... no problems at all. It apparently didn't scare me off ;).

yeah i thought it was a bit scary but nothing that would scare me away from flying again, i don't do rollercoasters but i'm fine if im in a boat or a plane. I have felt a bit airsick flying on a 737 before but in the cessna 152 i actually felt nothing at all which supprised me a lot even during the zero g demo.

Well Da all i can tell you is if you think you'll like FLYING then just do it. you'll find the money and time somewhere , i know i did.
Welcome to the Life of Avaition.
Dave G.

I knew some of you were going to over react. A moment of zero G done to a guy who said they want to see it--and isn't feeling sick--isn't suddenly going to make them start crying and explode all over the plane.

Airplanes can be fun. They really can.

To the original poster, I'm sure the instructor is a fine guy--ignore those that say otherwise as they are too perfect for fun.

So bascily i went for one of those discoery flights last weekend, overall had a great time, my instructor said i handled the aircraft very well and also was a little more comfortable with sharp turns than most students are the first time. He also asked me if i wanted to see what 0zero gs felt like. I was a little aprehensize but i said yes, so he put us into something that felt like a freefall. It was kinda scary mayby cause i wasn't controlling the aircraft at that point but im wondering if mayby i had prepared myself for the gs by tensing up a bit it would have been a bit more comfortable.

It can't get clearer than that.

I've done the civilian dogfighting programs. They got me interested in being a military pilot. First time I did it, I puked in the plane.. on the ground.. on the drive home.. it was misery thereafter, but it didn't discourage me all that much. I've never been sick on anything since.

A couple of things:

- You won't pull negative Gs, but having someone else fly the aircraft through a BFM (basic fighter maneuvers) set may get you queezy. If you do, usually just getting on the controls is enough to get you better.

- The middle of the summer is not a good time to participate. The cockpits of most civilian places are not air conditioned, and getting overheated while maneuvering is a good way to possibly get sick.

- Ginger pills.. Safe, legal, and a good defense against motion sickness. You can pick'em up in the vitamin aisle at wal-mart.

- Hydrate... Stay hydrated, eat a good high carb breakfast the morning before.. You're going to need energy.

- Relax! In the military, motion sickness is often attributed to Manifestation of Apprehension - nervousness, fear, etc. Just have fun, keep your head on a swivel, and you should be fine.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

i would probably wait till the fall to do the dogfighting, yes it was also very hot in that cessna 152. Ive never puked from motion sickness and actually taking the discovery flight made me feel a lot more confident about it. I think i might have outgrown it cause when i was younger it was a lot worse i'm 21 now and i basicly dont experience any sickness anymore.

It can't get clearer than that.

But you'll notice it doesn't say:

"He made me do some negative g stuff"

It says offered, and in doing so, might have hooked a new pilot. You and need to get off the CFI's back so much. He's one of the good ones, IMHO, the ones that will actually go the extra mile to make sure his students are enjoying aviation, instead of just "doing" it.

Last edited:
Back