First flight as a certificated pilot!

darrell

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
darrell
Well, I did my PP check ride on June 16th, then I left for Afghanistan on June 17th. I just got back two weeks ago and today was my first opportunity to go fly.

I had a quiet, uneventful, and very enjoyable flight from Herlong (Jacksonville) down to Cedar Key and back. As it turns out, with the exception of a Class D right next to Herlong (Cecil) there is no special airspace at all and I was able to fly direct there and back. Almost boring, in fact.

My only concern, which turned out to be a non-issue, was that it had been two and a half months since I last flew, maybe I had forgotten how to fly! Just to be safe, I did a quick pattern before departing for Cedar Key, and what do you know, I'm apparently still qualified to takeoff, fly, and land a plane.

The flying club I'm in (Navy Jax Flying Club) is running a special this weekend, so if I fly 7 hours by the end of the day on Tuesday, I get 40% off the already low hourly rate (wet) of $95. I have the airplane all day tomorrow and also Tuesday morning.

The club limits "local area" flights to 100nm from Navy Jax (KNIP) so I'm trying to find creative places to go... I think tomorrow I may go down to Daytona and back, then I'm not sure what I'll do on Tuesday.

Anyone have any ideas to put forth for a quick XC for me? I'd like it to be at least 50nm from KHEG (Herlong) but no further than the 100nm limit.

Well, I did my PP check ride on June 16th, then I left for Afghanistan on June 17th. I just got back two weeks ago and today was my first opportunity to go fly.

I had a quiet, uneventful, and very enjoyable flight from Herlong (Jacksonville) down to Cedar Key and back. As it turns out, with the exception of a Class D right next to Herlong (Cecil) there is no special airspace at all and I was able to fly direct there and back. Almost boring, in fact.

My only concern, which turned out to be a non-issue, was that it had been two and a half months since I last flew, maybe I had forgotten how to fly! Just to be safe, I did a quick pattern before departing for Cedar Key, and what do you know, I'm apparently still qualified to takeoff, fly, and land a plane.

The flying club I'm in (Navy Jax Flying Club) is running a special this weekend, so if I fly 7 hours by the end of the day on Tuesday, I get 40% off the already low hourly rate (wet) of $95. I have the airplane all day tomorrow and also Tuesday morning.

The club limits "local area" flights to 100nm from Navy Jax (KNIP) so I'm trying to find creative places to go... I think tomorrow I may go down to Daytona and back, then I'm not sure what I'll do on Tuesday.

Anyone have any ideas to put forth for a quick XC for me? I'd like it to be at least 50nm from KHEG (Herlong) but no further than the 100nm limit.

Come on down to FXE... It's not that far...;)

Jekyll Island & St Simons Island; Spruce Creek; St. Augustine; Jumbolair. 100 nm will get old after about 10 xc, but have fun!

Thanks for serving!

Jekyll Island & St Simons Island; Spruce Creek; St. Augustine; Jumbolair. 100 nm will get old after about 10 xc, but have fun!

Thanks for serving!

I can go further than 100nm normally, I just have to fill out an extra form with the club...but since the club is "closed" this weekend (KNIP is closed for runway maintenance) there is no way for me to do the paperwork.

Also, I'm now a civilian contractor for the State Department, but I was a soldier once, some years ago... ;)

Come on down to FXE... It's not that far...;)

I actually just spent a week at FSI in West Palm Beach. I think my next "big" XC will be to Sarasota, however, to go grocery shopping for my wife at Trader Joe's.

Last edited:
Go hit up Highjackers in Flagler. Good food. Or you can overfly John Travolta's air park just north of Ocala

Last edited:

:lol: For my first 50 hours or so, on every flight I'd first do a touch-and-go first for fear I'd forgotten how to land it...

Depending in what you decide, I could meet you in Ocala on Tuesday for lunch.

:lol: For my first 50 hours or so, on every flight I'd first do a touch-and-go first for fear I'd forgotten how to land it...

I have that same thought and I'm in my first 50 hours after my check ride. The touch and go's before a flight is not a bad idea I guess. I'm going on over a month without flying and am probably going to schedule some dual time just for a refresher. I'll do something new just to make it worth the time too.

To the OP- nice work on the flight. I agree the XC's can be a lot easier than maneuvers as long as the weather is nice.

Last edited:
Well today I flew north along the coast to St. Simon's Island, very pretty place...makes me want to spend a weekend there.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, I'll be heading south to Daytona (I've never landed at a Class C before*) then over to Gainesville then back to NAS Jax...due to time constraints I had to drop Ocala.

*I was supposed to land at Jax Int'l during my training, but the only aircraft available at the time had no transponder, so we just skipped it.

Safe travels. Sorry you're not able to hit Ocala, but you've got some good stops there. If you're in Gainesville around lunch, I believe they have a new little airport cafe on the field there.

Well that was a fun three days!

No lunch anywhere, only bathroom stops... I had to be back at work in Jacksonville after lunch.

In total, I logged 7.7 hours of XC PIC for the nice price of $58 per hour wet (it's a 1967 C172H). When I went to pay today, I found out that my club fees for July and August were also waived since I was in the sandbox, even though I'm technically not military. The club also has a deal where if you pay ahead in blocks of at least $500, you get 10% off of all flight time as well. All they need now are some newer planes...but that's not likely considering it's a Navy MWR line item and they have to fight for funds along with all the other MWR activities.

Lessons learned (Or rather, did I learn this during PP training and just not remember, or did my training kind of suck?):

--When flying straight and level in trimmed flight and you want to make an altitude change, don't bother with the yoke, just add or remove power and the aircraft magically keeps its trimmed airspeed and climbs or descends. Seriously, this seems like one of those stick-and-rudder things that I should have learned in PP training.

--Don't be afraid to visit a Class C. I was intimidated at first to do a touch and go at Daytona Beach, but I just figured if I don't do it now, then when? With the exception of contacting Approach further out, it was no different than a Class D.

--After exiting the aircraft, shut the door! I left the door open when I stopped at Cedar Key to use the Porta-Potty, and when I got back in, I had been joined by about 50 mosquitoes.

--I actually spent a lot of time with my hands off the yoke. Once I got the aircraft trimmed and it was flying level, I mostly just used the rudder pedals for tiny heading adjustments.

--CloudAhoy is a great tool for debriefing/critiquing yourself on your flights.

--Having just one radio sucks.

I'm already looking forward to my next flight! My copy of Stick and Rudder should arrive soon, and I'm looking forward to learning more and getting back in the air.

Well that was a fun three days!

No lunch anywhere, only bathroom stops... I had to be back at work in Jacksonville after lunch.

In total, I logged 7.7 hours of XC PIC for the nice price of $58 per hour wet (it's a 1967 C172H). When I went to pay today, I found out that my club fees for July and August were also waived since I was in the sandbox, even though I'm technically not military. The club also has a deal where if you pay ahead in blocks of at least $500, you get 10% off of all flight time as well. All they need now are some newer planes...but that's not likely considering it's a Navy MWR line item and they have to fight for funds along with all the other MWR activities.

Lessons learned (Or rather, did I learn this during PP training and just not remember, or did my training kind of suck?):

--When flying straight and level in trimmed flight and you want to make an altitude change, don't bother with the yoke, just add or remove power and the aircraft magically keeps its trimmed airspeed and climbs or descends. Seriously, this seems like one of those stick-and-rudder things that I should have learned in PP training.

--Don't be afraid to visit a Class C. I was intimidated at first to do a touch and go at Daytona Beach, but I just figured if I don't do it now, then when? With the exception of contacting Approach further out, it was no different than a Class D.

--After exiting the aircraft, shut the door! I left the door open when I stopped at Cedar Key to use the Porta-Potty, and when I got back in, I had been joined by about 50 mosquitoes.

--I actually spent a lot of time with my hands off the yoke. Once I got the aircraft trimmed and it was flying level, I mostly just used the rudder pedals for tiny heading adjustments.

--CloudAhoy is a great tool for debriefing/critiquing yourself on your flights.

--Having just one radio sucks.

I'm already looking forward to my next flight! My copy of Stick and Rudder should arrive soon, and I'm looking forward to learning more and getting back in the air.

It most certainly is and is a concept that eludes many pilots with a lot of time. It also goes hand in hand with the other which I do as well which is why I haven't bothered with getting an AP in any of my planes, I just don't work that hard at flying and it's not like I'm heading down to the galley or gonna nod off for a nap.

Last edited:

Another trick if your plane has a heavy wing and you get tired of holding the yoke to keep the wings level (or if you need two hands to deal with your sectional): Push on the high side rudder. Yes you will be flying a bit un-coordinated but advancing the low wing will pick it up.

-Skip

Back