First Flight After the Rating

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I really took advantage of the opportunity, and we sure packed a lot in. This is what we did:

1) GPS familiarization. I already had the basic VFR GPS ops down, but today I was shown all the great IFR features. At Frederick, they have a ground unit to play with, so we worked on flight plans, skipping waypoints, flying approaches, etc. What a great feature.

2) C182 refamiliarization. At Frederick, you need to fly once every 60 days; otherwise, you have to get re-checked out. This was fine with me since I needed to do the IFR checkout. I requested that we do some VFR stuff first. Last night I had reviewed the POH and sweet-spot power settings and airspeed numbers for the bird, so today was fairly routine. I had to refamiliarize my muscles with the heavier but very solid handling of the Skylane. I did remember that the right foot needs to really go in on takeoff! I asked the CFII to do the first landing, because I wanted to fix the sights and sounds in my mind. This was a good choice--my next two landings were good, then better. I LOVE the Skylane because it makes you look good every time with smooth rides in turbulence and sweet landings.

3) IFR checkout. This went well. The drill was to fly out to EMI, fly the ILS, fly a missed, hold over the VOR, etc. I'm glad we did the VFR stuff first, because here's the weird thing with the C182--it is so stable, that you won't feel it floating above or sinking below altitude, so you have to watch. After a couple of minutes, this was going fine, too. But here's a secret--flying the C182 IFR is like cheating! Set the knobs for the numbers and fly with one or two fingers and those needles stick there, right down to the runway.

4) Autopilot familiarization. I have about thirty hours in the PA-32, so I know what a good autopilot should do. The one in the C182 is very nice, and the CFII gave me some tricks as to how to sweet-talk the thing into dreamy, seamless level-offs and smooth tracking on course. He showed me how to use it for an approach. The AP flies the durn thing shamefully well, especially if you help it with the sweet-spot MP and RPM settings. Although I don't yet feel ready to use the AP for an approach, I will definitely be taking advantage of it when in the enroute phase, and also in the clag before an approach, giving me some time to re-brief the plate.

After that, we rentered the pattern, and the day ended with me doing a very nice crosswind landing. The aircraft is really a passenger-pleaser!

golly - if everyone did it like you Ben, wouldnt the skies be full of better pilots.
:)

Glad it's all working out for you!! You sure go at things enthusiastically!! Looking forward to seeing you in Dallas.

Dave
Baron 322KS

Let'sgoflying! said:
golly - if everyone did it like you Ben, wouldnt the skies be full of better pilots.

You mean the first flight after the IR shouldn't include:

3.5 actual (solo)
a 7600 situation
a 30kt crosswind
a new plane

guess I'm a bad pilot. ;)

N2212R said:

3.5 actual (solo)
a 7600 situation
a 30kt crosswind
a new plane

Here's a story I really want to hear.

Let'sgoflying! said:
LOL--if everyone did it like me, the skies would be full of knucklehead slow-learners!

Dave Siciliano said:
Glad it's all working out for you!! You sure go at things enthusiastically!! Looking forward to seeing you in Dallas.

Dave
Baron 322KS
Thanks, Dave. I'll be there in a few weeks to give a couple of concerts at SMU.

N2212R said:

3.5 actual (solo)
a 7600 situation
a 30kt crosswind
a new plane

LOL!!!! No, it doesn't have to include all of that, but I have to be able to fret about it at if it were going to be that way! :rofl:

wangmyers said:
Thanks, Dave. I'll be there in a few weeks to give a couple of concerts at SMU.

Ben: Dish the details, that's a ticket I believe I might just pay money for.

===

By the way, I've always looked forward to meeting Ben, thought it would be great to get him to go flying with me, amybe shoot some approaches, but now I am intimidated by the strength and currency of his knowledge. Yikes!

SCCutler said:
Ben: Dish the details, that's a ticket I believe I might just pay money for.

===

By the way, I've always looked forward to meeting Ben, thought it would be great to get him to go flying with me, amybe shoot some approaches, but now I am intimidated by the strength and currency of his knowledge. Yikes!
I'll be darned--I can't get them on the web! I know that we're playing on Sunday the 21st of August at SMU, and the previous night at a private home (mansion). I don't know in which hall, though. I'll keep you updated.

I am very much looking forward to meeting you! I'd love to fly with you, too, but I think this time we'll be rehearsing every day up to the two concerts. Maybe we can at least meet after the concert. In any event, I'd like to come down about a month later, for just a fun visit. We could fly then, and I'm sure looking forward to learning a thing or two from you!

Back