First-ever Medical exam tomorrow and Im scared

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by lightspeed12, Jun 30, 2019.

1. lightspeed12

lightspeed12 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    lightspeed12
    Am I overthinking this? I'm 27 years old and doing my first ever 1st class exam tomorrow early morning. Questions:

1) I usually get blood pressure readings between 115-135/75-85. I don't take any medicine for this but I'm assuming it's considered a little high (prehypertension ).. I haven't gotten this checked out. I'm assuming it's due to a poor diet and exercise habits. Will this be an issue? Do I really need to check Yes in the medexpress question regarding high blood pressure given that this is only prehypertension?

2) 5 years ago I used to have headaches every week (could be considered migraines ,although they were not severe and had no auras or any visual impairment ). Back then, I had an informal conversation with a neurologist who advised me to do some lifestyle changes and, if that doesnt work, then come back and do some tests. I did greatly reduce my amount of stress (at the time, I was working full time and studying full time), improved sleep habits, and completely cut off caffeine consumption. This helped a lot. The frequency and intensity quickly went down to 1 headache every 3 months, until last year when I got prescription glasses for the first time. Since then, I haven't had any headaches (1 year headache-free). I have never taken any medicine whatsoever, and haven't gone to any doctor. Is this an issue? Can the AME issue the medical under the CACI guidelines?

3)I haven't filled out the medexpress form due to the above questions. I thought it would be a good idea to just show up to my already-scheduled appointment, speak to the AME and, if I get a favorable outcome out of that conversation, just fill the form together and submit officially right there and then. If he says I need letters or exams then I can just go get them and come back prepared for an official exam. What do you think? Should I get in touch with @bbchien? Thank you!

2. Rgbeard

Rgbeard Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    rgbeard
    as a non-professional in the field, I think you're overthinking it.

I don't think you have a blood pressure problem YET, and you don't need to complicate this with a self-proclaimed diagnosis. If you haven't been given a diagnosis, why are you making things hard on yourself?

doesn't sound like you've had a diagnosis of ANYTHING except to cut down on stress, and get healthier. That's not checkbox-worthy in MY eyes.

3. Skip Miller

Skip Miller En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    Lose the word Migraine now.

A Migraine Headache is different from a bad headache. Unless, of course, a Doctor has diagnosed your problem as Migraine headache(s). Don't create problems for yourself!

-Skip

unsafervguy and TCABM like this.
  4. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Just watch out for Dr. Longfingers

EE30F93A-167B-4680-B822-0B83E4F9B37A.jpeg

Kidding... you’ll be just fine.

5. Mike Smith

Mike Smith En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fresh Prince of PrattVegas
    If you were never seen by a neurologist and had a formal diagnosis, it didn’t happen and I wouldn’t document it now. If your BP comes in on the lower end of your numbers, you’re fine. You may have to make another appointment to actually get your medical done. You need to tell the doc you want a consultation. I would have a blank copy of the medexpress form in hand, tell him what my answers “might” be. Then I would ask based on that would he issue. However, if that’s all you got, sounds good to me, but I’m a parts guy, not a doctor.

6. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    Regarding the BP, make sure to ask the nurse taking the reading that you would like to have at least 5 full minutes of non talking rest time before the reading is done. Use that time to meditate and relax. This should aid in obtaining a more favorable reading that if the cuff was applied as soon as you walked into the room.

IK04 and biplanebob like this.
  7. SToL

SToL Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    The BP numbers you state are considered in the normal to high/normal area. Nothing to worry about UNLESS your BP is usually much lower. The big thing about BP, is has it changed much or is it relatively consistent.

As @AggieMike88 said, relaxation is the key. Knowing the first thing they're going to do is BP, just come in, sit down, get comfortable, take a couple deep breaths and relax, breathe. If you feel anxious, as he said, ask for 5 minutes to relax. It's not biggie.

Best of luck.

8. Rgbeard

Rgbeard Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    rgbeard
    Also, if you don't like your numbers on the first read, it's possible to ask for a re-take. The numbers are often lower the 2nd time around, in my experience.

9. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    Adding to this... Sitting down and getting comfortable in the waiting room/area doesn't count toward this. Movement from the waiting area to the exam area will jump your BP upwards. So once you're in the exam area, then start the 5 minute clock.

If the nurse doesn't wish to accommodate your request, insist on speaking with the doctor. Too often the AME's offices work like a rapid assembly line, not giving the airmen time to settle in. Since many AME's work on a flat rate for their time, it is to their financial benefit to ram as many airmen as possible through their office on any given day. (for the record, I don't oppose this concept nor am I trying to stir any pot. I'm just stating an observed factoid)

If the doctor insists on a quick read without allowing to you relax.... then I'll leave it to you to decide if you have chosen the right AME for your situation.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    biplanebob and SToL like this.
  10. Brad Z

Brad Z En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    That's fine and good, but hypertension is hypertension, and it should be treated.

That said, FAA allows as high as 155/95, so his BP won't concern his AME. The op might want to see his GP about it, it it's not a medical certificate problem...yet.

11. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    Exhale! To steal from Rod Stewart: "Don't Panic, Lads!".

12. benyflyguy

benyflyguy Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    benyflyguy
    Yours used a glove!?

13. Greg Bockelman

Greg Bockelman Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Bockelman
    Out of curiosity, what constitutes a diagnosis of hypertension? Does the fact that one is taking medication to control blood pressure automatically imply a diagnosis even though actual blood pressure never exceeded the 155/95 limit? How should one answer item 18h if one is on BP meds but never exceeded the 155/95 limit?

14. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    The med, or the history. Once you are on the meds, how do we know what what underlying bps look like without the meds.....

15. Greg Bockelman

Greg Bockelman Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Bockelman
    You wouldn’t know unless one were to go off the meds.

But my point is, the BP meds in my case were a preemptive strike at hypertension. Before I went on the meds, my BP was never over 145/85. I had always figured that the answer to 18h was the FAA limits of 155/95 so I have in the past answered No to that one.

So my question is: How should I answer 18h since I AM on BP meds? Is Yes implied since I am on the meds?

16. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    Yes. And the AME will look for "CACI" evidence and issue you..or he'll ask for "I am satisfied wit Greg Bockelman's BP control, signature date" which doesn't say a THING about hypertension, and that allow him to CACI issue you.

Gotta be smarter than a box o' Rocks.....

TCABM likes this.