First Emergency?

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
tl;dr: Had partial power loss; Pushed mixture full rich and switched tanks then regained power. I declared an emergency and landed without incident.

So I had flight plan a flight from KSAC to KPOC in my cherokee 180. I was headed down there for a conference, so I invited one of my colleagues. It was his first time in a small airplane so I made sure to explain to him all the things I was doing, e.g. preflight, run-up, etc.

Fast forward 29 minutes after take-off and all was smooth as we were level at 9,500 feet. At minute 30 it was time to switch tanks; I turned on the fuel pump and went from the left to the right tank. I noticed the engine seemed a bit deeper. Not rough just deeper. I glanced over at the gauges and all the temperatures and levels seemed fine, so I just went back to looking at my flight plan to see my next checkpoint. 5 minutes after the tank switch I suddenly felt a drop in RPM and I looked over at the tachometer to see the RPM go from 2450 to just below 2100 in a matter of seconds. The nose dropped a bit and without thinking I push the mixture full rich and switched the tank back to the right. As soon as I did that the power came back. My passenger quickly said "what the hell was that" and I just responded with a "I am not sure but we're going to land." At this point we were right over Modesto and I could see the airport right under us. I began a spiral down to the airport. Since I was already under flight following I called up NorCal and declared an emergency. At this point I was under the impression that the line for the right tank had an issue or that my tank selector was faulty. I advised NorCal what had happened and then they switched me tower. The tower asked if I needed services and I denied, since everything seemed under control. I lined up for a base entry and made one of the softest landing I've ever made.

The mechanic on the field and I ran it up and tried to see if the right tank would lose fuel pressure or if the engine would drop in RPM, but we did not succeed in finding anything. He presumed that it could have just been vapor lock and said it seems fine. I ran it up several times to see if I could replicated but I could not. I took off again and landed at KPOC without any further issues. I was a lot more weary of the closest airports and I kept a shorter interval in scanning my instruments.

In retrospects, I guess an emergency wasn't necessary, since I had a running engine and within gliding distance of the field. However like they say everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight. I finally see why pilots say that the best thing you can do in an emergency is stay calm and fly the airplane. This is definitely a flight i'll remember.

Thanks for those that read all the way to the end.

Glad it all worked out and I am sure you were happy to be at 9,500... lots more options when you're high.

Nice work! You did the right thing. Imagine if it just happened to be something else.

You did good. :yes:

I would not have called it an emergency though, but that is at the discretion of the PIC.

If you think it's an emergency, than its an emergency; simple as that. There are plenty of folks who think that a plane going down in flames is not an emergency until the wings fall off; so use your own judgement.

If you hadn't declared an emergency, tower could have just as easily had you circle at 1500ft AGL a few miles from the airport waiting for a blimp to do a touch and go, change runways at the last moment, etc. By declaring an emergency, you were given priority handling, which was what you want when there is some question as to whether your power plant will continue to produce power.

The last guy flying didn't by chance mention engine problems when switching tanks, did he?

You didn't mention temperature / dewpoint conditions. If they were in the right range it could have been carb ice.

You didn't mention temperature / dewpoint conditions. If they were in the right range it could have been carb ice.

That's the other thing I had in mind as well since we were high enough that the temperature was very likely in the range. Also it was pretty hazy so I assume the humidity was high. It could have just been coincidence that RPMs came back up when I switched tanks.

If in doubt, declare, is my motto. Better to be over-cautious than dead.

-Rich

Fuel tank venting issues?

Just food for thought here and trying to help,

When I disassembled my selectror valve and reinstalled it, I climbed to about 2,500 AGL and made sure adequate fuel flowed from each tank individually without sign of restriction at full throttle

Yesterday, I knew the left tank would be running dry and I did catch the fuel pressure going crazy before I switched tanks and it came up fine, but I never lost noticable power.

Id call that more or a precautionary then a emergency.

More importantly GOOD JOB!

It's FAR better to declare an emergency when not truly needed than the opposite.

The problem might have been nothing, or it might have gotten a lot worse.

In retrospect, that was definitely a precautionary landing. But you couldn't have known that during the event.

I'm not sure I would have pressed on . POC is a long flight from MOD, over mountains and desert. SAC is a trivial flight from MOD. You had a mechanic look at it, but the answer was "I dunno."

I don't buy an explanation of vapor lock at high altitude near maximum fuel flow. You were full throttle up there, right?

I had a similar incident last month from KPGD to kgnv. Switched tanks and my fuel pressure went down to nothing. Engine ran fine. I switched back to left tank and landed in Lakeland. While taxi I switched back to the right tank and the engine quit. Long story short. The fuel vent hose under the right tank was plugged. A coffe straw and 10 minutes later we were back up and running. Tell you what. When that engine quit during taxi I cramped my pants thinking it could have been much worse.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back