First driverless car pedestrian death

Consumer Reports do not get vehicles from manufacturers or even dealers - otherwise the manufacturer would just give them the best, hand-verified one. They purchase them anonymously. So manufacturers can't cut them off.

Ahh right. I missed that it was the CR guy and not the Car and Driver guy. He’s screwed. LOL.

But honestly Tesla doesn’t sell their stuff through normal dealerships and I bet you’d have to do some hoop jumping and send someone with a cashier’s check and a name they don’t know, to be able to buy a car from them if they didn’t want to sell one. Or just buy it used from someone else.

Most States don’t regulate them like normal car dealers.

But I bet CR could figure out how to do it if they got blacklisted. Shell games.

Would be awesome if they’d exercise some strange purchase clause and disable a vehicle remotely with all their fancy phone home tech, if they didn’t want someone to publish a bad review. The ****storm would be epic!

I’d almost pay to see that happen, really. See how many States legislatures immediately pass laws to regulate them under the exact same rules as any other car dealer. Haha.

Not that car dealer laws aren’t totally in favor of maintaining the existing ones. They are.

It’d just be fun to watch.

"NTSB's Tesla fatal crash report: Autopilot sped up, no braking in final seconds"

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ntsbs...utopilot-sped-up-no-braking-in-final-seconds/
I saw video of another Tesla driver with a dash-cam take that same route a day or two later. His car veered towards the barricade, too.

I'll try to find that video, but it's a really strange lane arrangement. (trying to remember now) The barricade starts in the left lane, and there are several lane markings that go to either side of that barricade. The second driver was behind a car, probably similar to the fatality. The lead car followed the curve in the road which uncovered the lane markings that were headed right at the barricade. The markings split, one on either side of the barricade, but because of the way they became "uncovered" by the car in front, it almost looked like that split was a lane and the car was attempting to stay between those lane markings, not realizing a barricade was in that space.

It's the carpool exit lane from Highway 101 to Highway 85. Here's what it looks like as you approach it:

carpool-exit-to-hwy-85-png.63885

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.411...4!1s4W3PJNcXwdokZawDcVSsDw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It looks like the car might have been following the divisions in the pavement instead of the lane markings:

farther-along-png.63886

Attachments

• Carpool Exit to Hwy 85.png
    Carpool Exit to Hwy 85.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
  • Farther Along.png
    Farther Along.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
Back