First cross country

Tomahawk674

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tomahawk674
Hello all, just reporting my first cross country, what a great experience.

I had been planning to do it for a while but because of different circumstances it had to wait.

The Flight was from STJ to IXD, 56.5nm. The CFI pulled up all the weather, and then we sat down and did a quick plan, not very rigorous. We decided to avoid going into the Class B rings from Kansas City Intl. so the route was mostly straight with a slight bend. He had a handheld Garmin which made life much easier. We calculated wind correction and then we were off. I was hoping the weather would have been smooth so that I wouldn't have had to keep my hands on it much, but it was exactly the opposite. It was bumpy (we were low to avoid clouds and airspace, about 1100 AGL) and I couldn't take my hands off the thing, had to keep correcting all the way down and back. Then as we got close to IXD, we noticed it was BUSY, and I mean busy, it was non-stop action on the radio! those controllers had their hands full alright, and we had some cool planes zooming about, including a P-51, a Stearman, Taylorcraft, a flight of 2 RVs, etc. We landed (it was a nice landing if I may say so myself) and we had to hold short of runway crossing. About a minute later we were cleared and then we were off. There was some traffic that we had to get out of the way for, and soon we were out of there. The radio was so congested it was annoying, I couldn't have a conversation with the CFI!. The flight back was uneventful, although still bumpy. It was starting to get warm in the cockpit, and my rear was starting to hurt... we then contacted the much more quiet STJ tower, and I brought her in for what was a very nice landing :)

A very enjoyable experience, ammounting to 1.6 hours, $168, and a big big smile on my face.

Next time I'll bring a cushion to sit on...

Very cool! Those first "real" flights are the most fun. Wait til you do it on your own, without the instructor along!

I wonder if all those cool planes were OSHKOSH bound?

I have family in St. Joe. My brother has recently started doing theatre, and was in some of your Robideaux Theatre productions.

CONGRATS Jav, now you know what we go through. Ain't It Fun.
Dave G.

The local CAF chapter had an airshow at IXD this weekend. They were giving rides in everything from a Cub to a Stearman to a P51 and they had those things going all day Sat and Sun. A B25 flew in Sat afternoon. I was out there for an hour or two Sat afternoon. I was going to get pictures and post them, but my camera batteries were dead.

It was a great day for flying, and you got a chance to mix it up with all kinds of traffic. Wish I was up there with you!

One of my XCs took me from OJC to STJ through class-B, on the way back I skirted around B so I know your route.

Good job and keep us up to date on your progress!

Back