First cross country in IMC as a student

Steven8385

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Steven8385
I am lucky enough to be about halfway through my instruments. I have shot 4 actual approaches up until the other day, and done a cross country under the hood. So I asked the instructor if we could fly a cross country in IMC we went 1 hour one way, 1.5 hours back 1200 ft ceiling. The way there was solid IMC just white and water on the wind screen and no autopilot in the plane. It was amazing how fast the plane gets away from a heading or an altitude, I realize now why non instrument rated pilots kill themselves flying in the clouds. The way back we were lucky enough to get on top at 6000 ft, but we had a time limit put on our approach due to a notam closing the approach at night. That is where I became truly overwork and flew the worst approach that I ever had. Rushing is not something I will ever do again in IMC and I am glad I learned that lesson now, and not when it was about to kill me.

Glad you learned a valuable lesson. Glad you enjoyed it.

You're a better pilot than me.

I've passed my IFR written twice. And chickened out on the checkride twice.

It's too taxing for me. I don't enjoy it and figured if I'm not going to do it often, I'd just be a dangerous IFR pilot. VFR for me into that eternal sunset. :redface:

Not a better pilot at all. Just don't want to get caught in a situation that I am not prepared for and not equipped mentally for. I will have my family in the plane for most trips to the beach or vacations and don't want the sinking feeling in my stomach when the weather has dropped, forcing me to scud run, or being up above a layer and no experience to get through it safely. I push myself more with my instructor then I ever would with myself, so I am prepared for a situation that might come about.

Sounds like a good cross country and lesson, and you learned a few important things. There's a huge difference between hood time and being actual IFR, there's no more practice, it's the real deal now, sink or swim.
No IFR flight will be perfect, just try not to make any of the mistakes that might get you killed.
Good luck on the rest of your training.

That's great experience that I didn't get until after my training. You made a "bad" approach but apparently didn't bust any of the criteria for a missed so that makes a good approach. Well done. :)

Back