First Cross Country as a private pilot

MadseasoN

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MadseasoN
Well after a year of training I got my private cert last weekend. Today I took the family for their first cross country trip. 1 Hour each way in a Piper Warrior II. Kids were nervous at first but settled in pretty quick. I have never seen my son more excited about something. He went from being "afraid of heights" to wanting to "go fly everyday after school". I know how he feels ... daddy wants to do the same.

Things I learned or was reminded of:
Close airvents or wife's ankles get cold.
Kids will stay silent the entire flight until you're on downwind.
In a Gross weight airplane you KNOW when you're out of ground effect.

Sounds great!
You'll need more than a Warrior as those kids grow up.
But keep taking family trips!

Flights are always better when wife is comfortable.

Well after a year of training I got my private cert last weekend. Today I took the family for their first cross country trip. 1 Hour each way in a Piper Warrior II. Kids were nervous at first but settled in pretty quick. I have never seen my son more excited about something. He went from being "afraid of heights" to wanting to "go fly everyday after school". I know how he feels ... daddy wants to do the same.

Things I learned or was reminded of:
Close airvents or wife's ankles get cold.
I keep a blanket in the back for anyone who's chilly. Another suggestion - pick up some foam (like those egg carton matresses or equipment cases or even just the 2 in thick stuff you can find at sewing/fabric stores) and cut into 3 in pieces then stuff into the vent. It's got to be the fexible stuff, not the rigid foam. Even when closed, the vents leak. The foam really helps.

that's what the ISO switch on the intercom is for

In a Gross weight airplane you KNOW when you're out of ground effect.
Oh yea!

Last edited:
Always make certain you have a good destination that will be fun for everyone. And of course, congrats.

When you get your Instrument ticket, the rule becomes - kids will stay perfectly quiet right until ATC starts vectoring you for the approach.

How great! Where'd you go? How old are the children? Was your wife OK other than chilly ankles?

Congratulations!

How great! Where'd you go? How old are the children? Was your wife OK other than chilly ankles?

Congratulations!

11R- Brenham,TX. It's a popular airport with a 50's style diner at the FBO. Kids are 9 and 12. Wife was fine. We talked a great deal in the days leading up to the trip so she knew what to expect. I also narrated the flight, she said that was good because she felt like she was participating. In the airliners you never know whats going on.
Next time I will take a cushion so she can see over the console.

Amen Tom Amen.

A new mink coat usually keeps them quite too. :)

the picture below is a very unhappy wife. it was 14,000' (OAT -40) crossing the Rockies, between Casper and Pocatello early spring

Attachments

• The Big Red One 004.jpg
    The Big Red One 004.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 75
  • The Big Red One 049.jpg
    The Big Red One 049.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 51
  • The Big Red One 052.jpg
    The Big Red One 052.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Sounds awesome, looking forward to passing my checkride this Sunday, if all goes well I'll have my first family XC next weekend!

I'm jealous. Just starting my X-Country solo work. Hopefully it won't be long. Congrats!

My opinion, if your married, it is SOO important not to scare the wife and kids, or make them uncomfortable in any way in the beginning. If that means short flights, so be it. I always like the narrative flight. I used to ask my passengers if they wanted the narrative version of our flight and it was 100% yes. It made people at ease I think.

No "joeheropilot" stuff. you want them to think of you as a professional.

My first "post PP checkride" flight, was the day after my checkride with my wife, and sure enough and open door on takeoff. Circled and landed full stop. Off again. I think this set the stage for confidence on her part.

I try not to scare my husband. He doesn't like flying.

I keep a blanket in the back for anyone who's chilly. Another suggestion - pick up some foam (like those egg carton matresses or equipment cases or even just the 2 in thick stuff you can find at sewing/fabric stores) and cut into 3 in pieces then stuff into the vent. It's got to be the fexible stuff, not the rigid foam. Even when closed, the vents leak. The foam really helps.

Another suggestion -- Change to Cessna. Vents are overhead instead of on the floor
Somehow scarves or just jackets are easier to deal with than blankets.

Back