First complex time

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
I just had such a blast today, and none of my IRL (in real life) friends will appreciate this as much as all of you.

I've had my ticket for about 10 years now, and today was the first time I've ever flown a complex aircraft. I was just going to go up and drill some holes into the sky. Instead, I decided to start the checkout process for the Arrow at the local FBO. I have to tell you, it was a lot of fun on my first takeoff to reach down and flip that gear handle up!:hairraise:

Anyway, I've got one of the five required hours under my belt and I can't wait to get out there and fly it again. This plane rents for only $4/hour more than the Archer II that I had been renting, yet it cruises about 15 kts. faster...and is actually open on the weekends. $4 for 15 kts isn't a bad return on investment.

Just had to share this with some friends who would appreciate it....

-----------------
Jason

FlyNE said:
I just had such a blast today, and none of my IRL (in real life) friends will appreciate this as much as all of you.

I've had my ticket for about 10 years now, and today was the first time I've ever flown a complex aircraft. I was just going to go up and drill some holes into the sky. Instead, I decided to start the checkout process for the Arrow at the local FBO. I have to tell you, it was a lot of fun on my first takeoff to reach down and flip that gear handle up!:hairraise:

Anyway, I've got one of the five required hours under my belt and I can't wait to get out there and fly it again. This plane rents for only $4/hour more than the Archer II that I had been renting, yet it cruises about 15 kts. faster...and is actually open on the weekends. $4 for 15 kts isn't a bad return on investment.

Just had to share this with some friends who would appreciate it....

-----------------
Jason

I love complex AC!!! Its so much fun.. seems more like a real plane in a way.

Darrell111 said:
I have to admit. Going back to a fixed pitch will see kind of tame after this.

All of a sudden your G.U.M.P. turns back into G.M.

And now I finally know what 25 squared means.:yes:

I'm sure the transition to twins is even better.

Darrell111 said:

as opposed to a fake plane...

It's all fun and games until the gear doesn't come down.

FlyNE said:
I have to admit. Going back to a fixed pitch will see kind of tame after this.

All of a sudden your G.U.M.P. turns back into G.M.

And now I finally know what 25 squared means.:yes:

I'm sure the transition to twins is even better.

Honestly, i hate flying fixed props now on X-countries. Constantly having to watch your rpm where in the constant speed prop you set it and your done :)

Michael said:
as opposed to a fake plane...

I knew that was coming hahaha..

No, you know when you take passengers they like the gear going up and all that jazz. :)

I used to like complex aircraft, but I found I get better performance for less cost with my Tiger. I suppose for an airplane whose primary purpose is "fun," simpler is often better. But I do remember the great sense of power I had when I got in the T-34 and suddenly was able to make the wheels go up and down on command.

Ron Levy said:
I used to like complex aircraft, but I found I get better performance for less cost with my Tiger. I suppose for an airplane whose primary purpose is "fun," simpler is often better. But I do remember the great sense of power I had when I got in the T-34 and suddenly was able to make the wheels go up and down on command.
The wheels still go up and down in the Tiger, right? Pull back on the yoke and the wheels go up, push forward and the wheels go down...:rofl:

jangell said:
It's all fun and games until the gear doesn't come down.

Yeah, but he's getting his complex time in an Arrow. The emergency gear extension system is so simple and reliable that it's almost a non-event. :D

yea ghery, for the most part. I have heard of them sticking up though. Some hard banking and pulling a few G's for a while got them unstuck in the situation I know of.

Ghery said:
Yeah, but he's getting his complex time in an Arrow. The emergency gear extension system is so simple and reliable that it's almost a non-event. :D

I thought the same about a beech Sierra.. From Experience .. NOT the case :D :D :D

Ron Levy said:
As a former Tiger owner and a current Bonanza owner, I can appreciate simplicity. Complex can be a lot of work. But I hope to go to Lake Tahoe soon. Something that will be much more comfortable in the Bo.

FlyNE said:
Anyway, I've got one of the five required hours under my belt and I can't wait to get out there and fly it again.

Jason,

You may want to think about taking the commercial written and do the airwork while getting dual for those five hours...you'll be half way to the 10 hours instruction received in a retractable as required by 61.29 (a) (ii) for the commercial license.

See Part 61 for the full requirements for commercial license.

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-61.html#14:2.0.1.1.2.6.1.4

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Jason,

You may want to think about taking the commercial written and do the airwork while getting dual for those five hours...you'll be half way to the 10 hours instruction received in a retractable as required by 61.29 (a) (ii) for the commercial license.

See Part 61 for the full requirements for commercial license.

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-61.html#14:2.0.1.1.2.6.1.4

Len

It might be just the club insurance requirement. I had the same deal with the Arrow at our club. I got the endorsement, but couldn't fly the arrow for another 3 hours or so.

Ghery said:

Push the hydraulic release lever, yaw left and right and presto...

AirBaker said:
It might be just the club insurance requirement. I had the same deal with the Arrow at our club. I got the endorsement, but couldn't fly the arrow for another 3 hours or so.

Flight school where I rented required 10 hours of retractable time before flying their Arrow. Some folks got the 10 hours as part of their instrument rating dual received. I elected to do the time in the Arrow as dual received for the commercial.

To Ron's point on the Tiger...the same flight school had Tigers on the rental line...the Tigers were and are cheaper, faster and more fun to fly. That said, they don't get you retractable time in your log book which may be of interest if you are going to own a retractable gear airplane airplane in the future. Also, the Tigers were typically not available for last minute rental on weekends while with the limited number of people checked out in the Arrow it would often be available.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Flight school where I rented required 10 hours of retractable time before flying their Arrow. Some folks got the 10 hours as part of their instrument rating dual received. I elected to do the time in the Arrow as dual received for the commercial.

To Ron's point on the Tiger...the same flight school had Tigers on the rental line...the Tigers were and are cheaper, faster and more fun to fly. That said, they don't get you retractable time in your log book which may be of interest if you are going to own a retractable gear airplane airplane in the future. Also, the Tigers were typically not available for last minute rental on weekends while with the limited number of people checked out in the Arrow it would often be available.

Len

Our club requires 10 hours, too. Got that and now have over 50 hours in the Arrow. Guess I won't have to worry about the Commercial requirement if I ever go for it after getting my IR. :D

Back