First Commercial Flight in 25 years

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I have to fly to Tucson, AZ next month for work, I haven't flown Commercial in 25 years. I am sure it is going to be a very different experience. Flying from Joplin to Dallas with a 2 hour lay over there before heading on to Tucson. Everyone tells me to be there 2 hours before the flight leaves, does it really take the TSA that long to grope me?:D

Nope, typically an early flight, low traffic airport, you'll be checked in and past security in 30 minutes or less.

The two hours are "in case" its a busy time, there are issues with luggage, people, scanners, etc. It also gives TSA time to get your checked baggage through the scanners / hand check and onto the plane.

Im headed for Jamaica on Thursday, and haven't flown commercial for a couple years. Others will have tips, but here's mine.

1. Follow the TSA checklist for liquids, carry-ons, etc. If its not electronic, passport, medication, or reading material...... put it in your check baggage. The less you have the easier.

2. Zip ties are your friends. No locks. Zip tie your bags shut, and leave spares on the top of the largest compartment. Never once have I had a bag that was hand checked, not get re-zipped tied by the security personnel.

Last edited:
Just had this conversation with a co-worker last week. He hadn't flown in years:

When you go through TSA security (also called the 'water bottle disposal area') - take EVERYTHING out of your pockets, remove watch, belt, shoes. Toss any water bottles, coffee, or other drinks you may be carrying. Computers must usually be removed from bag and put in separate bin. Read up on the carry-on liquids requirements. Make sure your name on your ID matches the name on the ticket.

Do all that and you shouldn't draw any more attention to yourself than anybody else, and you might skate through with just the metal detector.

Some airports are worse than others - MCI has an old terminal design and they have to run a lot of gates/flights through chokepoints. Certain times of the day get really backed up.

If you are starting your flight in Joplin, you'll go through security there. When you land in Dallas you'll more than likely remain in the secured area so you won't have to go through it again.

When you land in Tucson and leave the secured area - take a look at the line that is trying to get in. That'll give you and idea of what to expect on your return flight.

Thanks for the info. I am only going to be there two days, so everything will fit in a small carry on. I have a friend out there that is a Federal Wildlife Agent. He wanted me to ride with him one night and suggested I bring my NVG's and bullet proof vest, I am sure the TSA would have several questions for me with those, I told him I would pass.

I haven't flown on an airliner since 2006, but my friends tell me the lines in Tucson are pretty quick and they're usually okay showing up only an hour before the flight.

Flying from Joplin to Dallas with a 2 hour lay over there before heading on to Tucson. Everyone tells me to be there 2 hours before the flight leaves, does it really take the TSA that long to grope me?:D
Dean, I've flown the Joplin to Dallas route (and back) several times lately. The last time I flew back from Atlanta to Dallas to Joplin.

I am only going to be there two days, so everything will fit in a small carry on.
Carry-on is definitely the way to go. At Joplin and Dallas and Atlanta, they took the carry-on bag and called it "Valet" and loaded and unloaded it near the gate or in the jetway. I also took a computer bag/backpack as my other allowed bag. American Airlines (since you're flying out of Joplin) has those allowable measurements on their web site.

At Joplin, Dallas and Atlanta, I only had to walk through the regular ol' deal...didn't have to go through the xray machine and didn't get the pat-down. It has been a non-event for me...so far.

I checked in on-line when it was within 24 hours of departure time, so didn't have to go to the ticket counter (only had carry-on luggage). I printed off my ticket from the on-line site and they scanned that at the gate. They could also scan my ticket from my iPhone...I did that because my son told me to try it. :redface: The guy at the gate at Joplin had never done that before, but he figured it out and it worked fine.

I was surprised at how full the flights were at Joplin...almost full, to full every flight. You can pick your seat on-line if you want. They load those flights from the back of the airplane. I like to sit in back so that I can see better. :D Except by the time they get me the wine back there, it's almost time to land. :D

I have to fly to Tucson, AZ next month for work, I haven't flown Commercial in 25 years. I am sure it is going to be a very different experience. Flying from Joplin to Dallas with a 2 hour lay over there before heading on to Tucson. Everyone tells me to be there 2 hours before the flight leaves, does it really take the TSA that long to grope me?:D

This is an ad that was put in the bins that the TSA uses for all the stuff that will need to be x-rayed.

attachment.php

Good words of advice if Amtrak can work for you.

As for the airports. ....

You will be one of the great unwashed masses that will be in what I call the regular people lines. I am a frequent flyer with elite status so I get elite treatment and my experiences are different. But this past week I flew on KLM and had no status with them and had to fly as a regular person. Can't say I liked it.

Security lines vary with airports, time of day, etc. Even the lines to check in can be long for non-elite flyers. It took me 45 minutes just to get a boarding pass for this past week's flight! Then security was another 45 minutes. If you are unsure of you airport then 2 hours pretty much is a standard time now. Even when I get to use the shorter lines it can take me 15 minutes at peak time to get through the security line.

Carry on is almost always the way I go.

Be prepared. Have your 1 quart bag of 3 oz liquids ready to go. BTW actually look at the bag size on the box. a 1 qt bag is like a 6"x6" zip lock bag. I see, mostly woman, who think a 1 gal zip lock is the same as a quart bag. It is really annoying to be behind them. Do not expect TSA to provide a bag to you.

For your 3 oz items most all travel size stuff is that size. I even get the travel size shaving cream. I have no problem with this stuff getting through security.

Your laptop will be needed to be taken from the bag and placed ALONE in a bin. Shoes are to be removed and depending on the scanning device you may need to take off belt, nothing in pockets and always remove any jacket you are wearing.

As always when passing through security you are required to dispose of your dignity.

Empty water bottles are fine. I travel with one and never get a hassle. I fill it up on the other side of security because trying to get a drink in coach has become a giant PITA. Airlines pretty much want you to sit down and shut up and enjoy the treatment as cargo. Any requests for things like a full can of soda will get you on the FA's list of trouble making passenger. UAL is the worst for this. Thankfully they send me coupons for free drinks. When I get a surly FA who will not give me the can of soda I pass out free drink coupons to all the passengers around me. Business and first class get better treatment. Thankfully when I am on UAL next month I will be in business class and will be able to get things like a drink of water and/or a soda without too many difficulties.

Enjoy your flight!!

Attachments

• julia-allison.jpg
    julia-allison.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I had not flown since 2005. I flew to MI (4 planes). SFO didn't have one of those funny machines, and GRR did. I didn't know how to use one so they had to tell me to take everything out of my pockets and hand it all to them. Other than that, and taking off my shoes and putting liquids in a bag, both SFO and GRR had lines which took less than 20 minutes to get through.

I even brought aviation sectionals and followed along and no flight attendants freaked out! I also asked each one (except the flight with sectionals) to speak with the captain about viewing the flight deck. All of them let me do so.

My flight went great and I thought the TSA was very professional and courteous. I was expecting to be violated and treated terrible, time in line was under 15 minutes.

Back