First Comanche Annual Completed

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
I had the dreaded first annual inspection on my new (63 year old) Piper Comanche. I bought it back in May and flown it for about 30 hours since. I was hoping for the best, while expecting the worst. It ended up being pretty close to the best and I'm so relieved. No surprises other than minor stuff like missing rubber boots, some screws and nuts that needed to be replaced, some minor ADs that were due, and a some sloppiness in the logbooks when it comes to properly recording ADs. But, at the end of it all, the plane went through the annual inspection without needing any repairs and without any deferrals which I think is a first for me. All ADs are up to date or eliminated due to AD eliminating replacement parts. Also for the first time, I "owner assisted" the annual inspection (although, having two left hands when it comes to tools, I didn't do all too much) in order to really get to know the airplane as this is our long term (potentially forever) plane. The three major items that are looming now are:

- Propeller overhaul: In Canada, we have to overhaul constant speed props every ten years. Kind of stupid as the prop only has a few hundred hours on it since new but still have to get it overhauled by August 2024.

- The major gear AD: This is the 1,000 hour gear AD where the gear has to come apart, be inspected and measured before being put back together. It's due in about 120 hours so just about a year's worth of flying.

- Stab horn AD: That one is due in summer 2025. I'll probably get the Aussie Horn installed to get rid of this AD at that time.

Congrats on a clean annual. Mine this year was the one from hell. That was my third annual of ownership. Sometimes they don't find everything on the first...or second one. :oops:

Gotta love (relatively) clean annual inspections.

And gotta love that you are on top of upcoming items.

Would you be willing to share the cost of the annual?

Congrats on a clean annual. Mine this year was the one from hell. That was my third annual of ownership. Sometimes they don't find everything on the first...or second one. :oops:
Well, it helps when you take it to a shop where they actually look at it...

I am in the same sinking boat. Almost two months in and I wish I stayed at the holiday inn(I think it was the one with thexad no surprises). No end in sight. Maybe time for an annual from hell thread, if there is not one yet.

Back