first close call with the jet

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
On takeoff this morning about sun-up from the ranch strip a pronghorn (goatlike "antelope") came out onto the runway a hundred feet ahead of us just as FO is opening mouth to say V1(same as Vr). He froze, I swerved slightly right to avoid him and pulled. There was no time to abort, it happened in a flash. Got a away lucky this time - going to have to start driving the runway each flight - he would have made an expen$ive ding.

This afternoon's flight towing gliders was fun.

PS Driving home I saw the third creepy thing (re other thread) we have in Tx; a huge Mojave rattler on the side of the road. brrrr!

Let'sgoflying! said:
On takeoff this morning about sun-up from the ranch strip a pronghorn (goatlike "antelope") came out onto the runway a hundred feet ahead of us just as FO is opening mouth to say V1(same as Vr). He froze, I swerved slightly right to avoid him and pulled. There was no time to abort, it happened in a flash. Got a away lucky this time - going to have to start driving the runway each flight - he would have made an expen$ive ding.

Got a SAR call out in the Sacramento valley one early, heavily Tuli fogged morning for an ELT search near a ranch strip. Visibility is zip. The SAR folks walk nearly shoulder to shoulder along the strip so as to not have something pass between us in the fog. We find a dead cow in the middle of the runway, then some skid marks beyond the cow veering off the runway into the grass and shrubs. At the end of the skid marks is a crumpled King Air with an obvious cow strike to the leading edge, nacelle, and landing gear. The cockpit is empty except for a bunch of unoccupied clothing, male and female, one set each.

Best speculation is drug runners dropped a load during the night, took a little break, then tried to depart as the sun came up but didn't count on the fog--or the cow.

wow - scary. I'm glad everything turned out for the better.

Change of pants in order, eh?

Ed Guthrie said:
. The cockpit is empty except for a bunch of unoccupied clothing, male and female, one set each.

Best speculation is drug runners dropped a load during the night, took a little break, then tried to depart as the sun came up but didn't count on the fog--or the cow.

Ed,

So they were doing a zero/zero/zero departure? zero viz, zero ceiling and zero clothes!? As in "Hey I've got an idea, let's take off our clothes before we take off!? Some people are really strange!

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Ed,

So they were doing a zero/zero/zero departure? zero viz, zero ceiling and zero clothes!? As in "Hey I've got an idea, let's take off our clothes before we take off!? Some people are really strange!

Len

I can see the T-shirt now" CO-ED naked flyin, Remove clothing before flight"

Wow Dave,

You have had an iteresting week. 1st the spider, then the jet, and then that aweful snake(s). Hope this week goes better for you.

Brook

Thanks, Brook. Today was better (and last week wasn't *really* terrible!).

On the way back from Austin we had a cell topping out at 40,000 feet right in our path, 60miles wide and our destination was on the back side of it - this was the only weather for hundreds of miles; my great luck. I decided to go around it to the north as the wind was from the N and it seemed to be discharging something on the overhang of the S side. Couldn't be sure what was happening on the other side because of radar shadow but the asos was encouraging although it did report "ts in the vicinity". Anyway I stayed very high (32,000') in order to stay out of the goo and keep an eye on the cell (I didn't want to be beating the radome to crap like, ahem, my pal did last summer). Once turning the corner on the backside of the cell, when I could be sure of a direct line per the moving map which was clear of the largest vertical mass, I pulled the throttles, popped the speed brakes and at 200kts the first notch of flaps to get 3000fpm. Passing through several layers to 15K looked like we might need the approach so we requested and received the GPS30 and a few jabs at the FMS later it was set up to let the autopilot do it. It felt like a close battle of staying clear of the bad stuff, but on track to the IAF - and then if wanting to cancel, to find vmc. Thankfully by 10K (5K ago), we saw a large hole with the destination visible so we cancelled and went for it. Weather below was pleasant... cool, fairly high ceiling, gentle winds - with that monster of a cell pounding the hills to the east with heavy rain and lightning. Dodged a few birds and greased it on at 105kts, taxied back and refuelled while everyone unloaded. Chatted with one of the family about how much fun it is to fly it and how the responsibilities involved can feel overwhelming. Overall, a satisfying day having 'defied' the weather, getting everyone and their airplane home safe and sound!

Back