First Class Medical

Aviator_VanLan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
VanLan.Aviation
What are the main differences between 3rd Class Medical and 1st Class Medical? From the results I've found, for the 1st Class Medical you have to have corrected 20/20 vision and EKG. Are those the main differences between the two?

I currently have my 3rd Class Medical. No issues. Just need to get a 1st Class medical for Flight School (ATP Flight School).

Last edited:
Just need to get a 1st Class medical for Flight School (ATP Flight School).
Why do schools like ATP require this for their students? AFAIK, 1st isn’t actually needed until you are going to make use of Airline Transport Pilot privileges

What's the point of signing someone up for training through ATP if they're not ever going to be able to be employed as such. Many flight schools aren't as corrupt as other (for profit) educational institutions.

What are the main differences between 3rd Class Medical and 1st Class Medical? From the results I've found, for the 1st Class Medical you have to have corrected 20/20 vision and EKG. Are those the main differences between the two?

I currently have my 3rd Class Medical. No issues. Just need to get a 1st Class medical for Flight School (ATP Flight School).

Going to the McDonalds of flight schools eh?

FWIW, the differences in standards are very minimal between all three classes. The real difference comes if you're on a Special Issuance. There are some medical conditions (type 1 diabetes for example) that you can get an SI for a 3rd class, but not a 1st.

FWIW, the differences in standards are very minimal between all three classes. The real difference comes if you're on a Special Issuance. There are some medical conditions (type 1 diabetes for example) that you can get an SI for a 3rd class, but not a 1st.
Well, for young guys it is. Once you hit 35/40, the first gets a bit more expensive to obtain and maintain.

What's the point of signing someone up for training through ATP if they're not ever going to be able to be employed as such. Many flight schools aren't as corrupt as other (for profit) educational institutions.

This. Might as well establish medical viability before embarking on expensive training.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back