First Class Bravo - PHL

AirDC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
We set off yesterday around 9:15 to head up to Philadelphia for the day and attempt to tackle our first Class Bravo airport. We heard they were somewhat GA friendly and had a small fee (only $10 landing fee if you can take 15 gallons of gas).

On the way up, we got flight following from Potomac Approach and they asked the altitude we wanted to fly direct, I said 3000 and planned to go around the Bravo rings but they said they could get me there direct and if I wanted to go to 5500 they could get me through a restricted space, or 3000 and he could vector me. I said 3000 would be fine. I wanted to be able to get under Philly Class B in case we couldn't get cleared into the Bravo. In retrospect, I probably should have taken the 5500 but I don't think it mattered all that much. Instructions like this from controllers with VFR flying often confuse me.

We never ended up getting vectors around the restricted space, so just did it ourselves, a minor heading adjustment. We hadn't heard from Potomac for a while so called to ask if they still had us and they said they did but would be unable to give a handoff to Philly. They said to try in a few miles. I called in a few miles and they were able to pick me back up again. They then sent me to a different frequency. In between, I picked up ATIS from PHL, which was the worst I have ever heard. It was given in a computerized robot voice and included all of the airport notams, about 3 minutes per cycle, and was really confusing.

I then called up the other frequency, said I was inbound Philadelphia full stop with Alpha in my most professional and confident voice. They cleared me into the bravo and started giving me vectors to fly. I had read about it from others, but it was the first time in VFR flight that I had actually been given specific vectors to fly. It seemed like good IFR training experience (I haven't started yet). They told me VFR altitude at my discretion. I didn't really understand why they would say that, in this circumstance. Seems to me they would want me at a certain altitude. I stayed at 3000.

Winds were 240 at 16 so I was initially expecting them to vector me to runway 26, which was the GA runway next to Atlantic. Instead, approach had told me to expect visual runway 35, which is perpendicular and crosses the jet take-offs and landings. Approach continued to vector me at angles towards the airport and eventually told me to go direct to the airport and switched me to tower. Tower asked what speed I could give them on final and I said 115kt. She sounded dissapointed. I ended up being able to give closer to 125 which made her happy, and about a 130kt ground speed.

Pulling power around 100' and a flatter than normal approach, I planned to decrease speed and float down the runway. It was the first (slight) tailwind landing I had done (on purpose) and with the 16kt crosswind it was challenging to stay on centerline during the long flare. Nothing horrible though and held xwind controls as I taxied off the runway.

The jet center was right across from us but we were near the intersection of a few taxiways and an apron and it was really confusing to figure out which was the right way to follow instructions. We ended up figuring it out (I think), and heading over to the Jet center. They were all very friendly over there from the line guy to the desk people, and were eager to please. They said if I took 15 gallons they would waive the facilities fee and only pay a $10 landing fee. Later, when I came back, they told me I only took 13 gallons and they gave me a .25c/gal discount in addition to waiving the fee anyways. I asked about transportation and they gave me a crew car. They said normally its only for an hour or two but they said it was not busy today and I asked about returning it at 3pm and they said no problem. They offered us some hot soft pretzles and coffee and we were on our way. We were out of the executive terminal 10 minutes total after landing.

After walking around downtown Philly for the day, mainly Rittenhouse area and the Reading Terminal Market for lunch, we headed back to the airport. In the planning room they have a radio tranciever to listen to ATIS and get your clearance before you leave. I got my clearance, paid up, pre-flighted the plane, and we were off.

Skyhawk 52*** Heavy Request Pushback from Atlantic(JK). We got our ground instructions which were to take off intersection Kilo on 35 again and read back and then tried to figure out where to go on teh taxi diagram. It was really confusing figuring out where to go with the apron and multiple intersections right around there, but we figured it out. Got our line up and wait instructions then cleared for take off. Again, not a pretty take off because of the xwind/tailwind but were off with a crab angle and then were given instructions to fly heading 300. After we were about 1000', they told us to fly downwind 35. I paniced for a second because I forgot which way 35 was but then quickly realized I took off on 35 and it was opposite direction so did a 180 and climbed over PHL at 2000'. It was awesome. Level at 3000' they eventually gave me one more vector and sent me on my merry way.

Overall, it was a challenging process that I am glad I did. Thank you to PHL controllers and airspace controllers for being friendly. Yesterday was a huge item for me to cross off my checklist.

I used my GoPro camera for the first time. After I see if the video came out i'll add to the posting. Unfortunately, I don't have it rigged to pick up comm yet.

Arrival into PHL for a sweet one-wheel xwind landing

VnKnX.jpg

Departure over PHL

fJ2BY.jpg

Last edited:
QUOTE]

WOW.. sounds like you had ALOT on your plate... Good to hear you pulled it off ok...:yesnod:

This is a great read. Thanks for sharing your experience. I loved the first time I got to fly in and around class bravo, and it wasn't nearly as scary as what my instructor made it out to be.

Thanks for the detailed post, and glad it all worked out! Sounds like a fun flight for sure, and a good challenge. Look forward to the GoPro video of it!

Mike - thanks for being the test pilot into PHL last week for me haha.

And thanks to whomever sent that original post with detailed instructions that i had copied and pasted into my notepad.

Sounds like a good experience. A word of advice, next time you fly into a new area especially a big Bravo, post and request some PIREPS from the board, there's always good info here. Also good choice going on a sunday early. Bravo traffic at PHL is always lighter then.

Not to hijack, but this is a quick timelapse from my flight into PHL the other week:

http://vimeo.com/isler/gbr-phl

I'll do a proper edit and add music at some point. At about the 0:08 mark, I'm passing right over Manhattan, and Central Park is visible briefly as are the east river bridges. Just before landing at PHL, there's a FedEx DC-10 visible on a parallel approach.

Edit: seems the vimeo embed BBcode isn't working for me so put it as a link.

Mike,

Awesome video - I like that angle.

How did you get your SR20 to go mach 23?

What software did you use to create the sped up video?

Added some pix. Who here uses GoPro? The files I took are 3.5gb each. I tried to upload to youtube and edit out, but after two hours of processing it said it was removed because the video was too long. Any ideas on how to crop these files??

Added some pix. Who here uses GoPro? The files I took are 3.5gb each. I tried to upload to youtube and edit out, but after two hours of processing it said it was removed because the video was too long. Any ideas on how to crop these files??

I would give Youtube a day or so.... I got the same message when I downloaded my video of the auto engine conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNnEgRkdXc&context=C3e091d3ADOEgsToPDskKmHo69I6bUDuoBHd5YSUfu

Later in the day Youtube emailed me with the link to my video... The takeaway thought is ytube probably has some sort of canned"go away" text keyed up. I am sure one of the puter wizzards here will be able to coach you on how to get it posted if Youtube really does reject it. IMHO

Last edited:
Andrew: Minor point if your going to a airport that is inside the bravo airspace and is under the surface ring you will always get cleared in. ( ignoring things like needing a reservation and such ) You only need to really worry about bravo entry is when your transiting the area because if they are busy they can tell you to go away.

Andrew: Minor point if your going to a airport that is inside the bravo airspace and is under the surface ring you will always get cleared in. ( ignoring things like needing a reservation and such ) You only need to really worry about bravo entry is when your transiting the area because if they are busy they can tell you to go away.

So are you saying that regardless of how busy Philadelphia International is, I will always get cleared into their Bravo? But they might just vector me around in a holding pattern for an hour (or more) until they can get me sequenced in? I was under the impression that if they were too busy, they would have told me unable from the first approach call.

So are you saying that regardless of how busy Philadelphia International is, I will always get cleared into their Bravo? But they might just vector me around in a holding pattern for an hour (or more) until they can get me sequenced in?

That's right. And even if it is really busy the delaying vectors shouldn't take quite that long. The rationale is that the Bravo exists to protect/separate traffic for the major airport. If you're going to a satellite field or somewhere on the far side, it may be inconvenient but it's possible to go around or under the Bravo, so they can deny you Bravo clearance if things are busy. On the other hand if you're going to the major airport or a satellite that's within the surface area, there's no way to get there without entering the Bravo, so they have to provide a clearance.
All users destined for that airport have equal rights to use the airspace, not just the air carriers. That doesn't mean that they'll hold up a dozen jumbos while you fly a 70kt final - it's not always first-come, first-served. But they can't flat-out deny you.

That's right. And even if it is really busy the delaying vectors shouldn't take quite that long. The rationale is that the Bravo exists to protect/separate traffic for the major airport. If you're going to a satellite field or somewhere on the far side, it may be inconvenient but it's possible to go around or under the Bravo, so they can deny you Bravo clearance if things are busy. On the other hand if you're going to the major airport or a satellite that's within the surface area, there's no way to get there without entering the Bravo, so they have to provide a clearance.
All users destined for that airport have equal rights to use the airspace, not just the air carriers. That doesn't mean that they'll hold up a dozen jumbos while you fly a 70kt final - it's not always first-come, first-served. But they can't flat-out deny you.

I've definately heard conflicting information than this from reading other forums. My understanding was that if you were planning on landing VFR, they could deny you into the bravo if they were too busy. Anyone else have any thoughts to confirm which is right?

I do clearly remember back 30 years ago when I got my PP, the FBO needed a new mag for one of their planes and a repair station at Miami International Airport had one.. I could have driven but considered to fly over to get it... I was at Tamiami airport and back then there was a flight service station right on the field, so I walked in to file a flight plan.. They said NO FRIGGIN way could I get into MIA VFR... That was back when it was a Group 1 TCA, which I assume is what is now a Bravo airspace..... I drove over to get the part.... YMMV

Back