First Aviation Headset - Help

I just recently bought two sets of used lightspeed ZULUs on ebay. They were about $500 each.

I originally bought David Clark 13.4 when I was in flight training. Still have them and they are very solid... just not real comfortable.

I own a plane and am "all in" so I don't have to worry about them ever collecting dust.

If you were to buy a used ZULU set like mine you could probably sell it for the same money a year or two down the road. You will find a good ANR set will be so much more pleasant to fly with that it will be worth it.

I think I will fly with the DC provided by my instructor (I don't believe I have to rent it from the school if I am doing flight instruction, that is for if you rent a plane for the day and don't have a headset - at least I think that is how it works).

When I get my PPL I may buy a nice ANR headset.

When I get my PPL I may buy a nice ANR headset.

Since most folks go on to complete training once they start their solo XC's, that might be another possible milestone to step up to a good ANR set.

(and if you let us, the entire gallery here will gladly spend all of your money)

I heart my Flightcom Denali. $269 for passive, $469 for active. I have the passive, my buddy has the active. My 'pico is much quieter than his Cardinal, but I can't personally see the extra $200 for something I'm only using 15-20 hrs/month. Someday I'll get a set of Bose.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the headset manufacturers have a 30 day trial/return period. Try a number of different headsets and see which you prefer. Example, I prefer the comfort of my DCs for more than a couple hours but wear my Zulu 2 instead because I want ANR. It really is a matter of what fits your head, what you find more comfy, etc.

Right now I'm trying the QT Halos, to see how I like them.

We have had great experience with our ASA headsets. headset and bag for around $140.

http://www.amazon.com/ASA-Airclassics-Hs-1-Aviation-Headset/dp/B001THL8SQ

We had one issue with the mic on one tripping the push to talk when in certain positions. They have a lifetime warranty though so I just contacted them and sent it back. Two weeks later I had a new one in hand.

We have had great experience with our ASA headsets. headset and bag for around $140.

http://www.amazon.com/ASA-Airclassics-Hs-1-Aviation-Headset/dp/B001THL8SQ

We had one issue with the mic on one tripping the push to talk when in certain positions. They have a lifetime warranty though so I just contacted them and sent it back. Two weeks later I had a new one in hand.

I got one similar to that one: Avcomm AC-200 Headset. I'd rather use this than a loaner. I stumbled on a freak deal on Amazon and got this for $80 new with bag. When I checked back later to see about a 2nd pair, the deal was over.

I'm just a student pilot, but I will say I tend to be sensitive to noise and these do a fine job in the 172's I rent. If you get these, don't forget(read the instructions) the metal head band is bendable, so tweak it for best comfort. You don't have to clamp your head.

You can always upgrade and use these on your passengers later!

Last edited:
Not even close to the same thing. Now PilotMall may be using a PilotUSA headset, which is a good thing. I can't tell from the photo on PilotMall.

Faro has big bulbous earpieces, squared off thin metal yokes & headband, oversized on-ear volume knobs and an inline 9v ANR box.

The Faro's use AA batteries. They seem to do the job for us weekend warriors.. Customer service is second to none. I once had an issue with the ear phone jack connection losing a nut.. They had me send them in and sent out a new set after 26mo of use.. Can't beat that

PA-1171T $155. I personally do not like anything with a metal boom mike, the screws at all the pivot points always seem to come loose. This set doesn't have that problem and I like the fake leather pads and it has a jack to connect to cell phone.

For 1/2 the price of clarity aloft, you can buy a pretty durable quiet technology Halo headset. I use it for towing gliders in a PA-18, flying a PA12, and a PA 28, and a pipistrel....the headset works awesome and I never get a headache. I wish I had known about this headset when I got started.

link: http://www.quiettechnologies.com/

I ended up buying one of these, because it was better than the tired and worn out DC's at my flight school. Not to mention, I'm not a fan of sharing items like this.

For the price, they work great for me, and no complaints from my CFI when communicating with him.

I would like to one day upgrade to something lighter and with ANR, but for now, I'll stick to inexpensive that works.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.p..._shipping_info&cPath=706_822&products_id=1194

I am considering getting one of their child size headsets for after I get my ticket and will be able to take my kids for a ride.

Cliff

When you get ready to buy your CA's (told ya, I'm a believer) check with rugged or cDC and ask if the headband center portion can be swapped for a smaller one for the kids. That works for DC 10-20's and there is just two fasteners.

Buy a Bose A20 once and you won't need to buy again for a long time.

Back