First annual

Thanks for the response. I can appreciate that you need at least ten hours a month to even consider it. As of now, I know that I will not get more time than that and I had always heard that you need at least a 100 hours a year to consider buying...but it sounds like you really need a lot more to really make a difference. I am not being cheap here, I just think for me renting is going to be the best option...I really, in a way, hate that because I had considered buying and just the convenience of knowing it is yours and you can use it anytime. Thanks for the response.

that's somthing that you can't really put a dollar sign on.

Made a deal with the owner of a plane that I've flown in a club for the past 2 years. 2000 Cessna 172. Basically, I'm splitting the annual and repairs that go along with it. The annual was conducted by my mechanic and also doubled as a pre-buy inspection. We were not impressed with the results. There were items that should have been addressed at the last annual at best. Here are a few:

- Mags have never been inspected. Not even at 500 hour intervals. We took a look at the caps and they were BOTH in very poor condition. All contacts horribly scarred and black. (That explains the slight RPM loss at full throttle)
- Spark plugs exorbitantly outside of spec. All of them. Far more than one year worth of use.
- Aileron rigging cable 40lbs.!! Outside of spec. (Luckily no pulley damage due to the tight cable)
- brake disks down to .15, minimum limit should be .2. (Could be argued they were at specs at the last annual...buuuut...)

Anyway looking like a $4000 annual total after some odds and ends.
So sure, a new mechanic will find different problems. But sometimes they find blatantly obvious issues.

Made a deal with the owner of a plane that I've flown in a club for the past 2 years. 2000 Cessna 172. Basically, I'm splitting the annual and repairs that go along with it. The annual was conducted by my mechanic and also doubled as a pre-buy inspection. We were not impressed with the results. There were items that should have been addressed at the last annual at best. Here are a few:

- Mags have never been inspected. Not even at 500 hour intervals. We took a look at the caps and they were BOTH in very poor condition. All contacts horribly scarred and black. (That explains the slight RPM loss at full throttle)
- Spark plugs exorbitantly outside of spec. All of them. Far more than one year worth of use.
- Aileron rigging cable 40lbs.!! Outside of spec. (Luckily no pulley damage due to the tight cable)
- brake disks down to .15, minimum limit should be .2. (Could be argued they were at specs at the last annual...buuuut...)

Anyway looking like a $4000 annual total after some odds and ends.
So sure, a new mechanic will find different problems. But sometimes they find blatantly obvious issues.

So that's 8k total for the annual?

$4,000 total.
but we're still trying to chase down 50 more RPM. Going to get the fuel delivery system bench tested and adjusted. (I can't recall the technical term but he thinks the fuel is too rich at full throttle)

Your description reads like mine, especially the magnetos which were $1500 - $1600 to overhaul. How are the fuel hoses?

Yeah, those mags are a killer. Fuel hoses in good shape.
Hopefully the next annual yields favorable results.

Regarding justification of ownership: Keep in mind not all types of aircraft are readily rentable. If your goal is off airport/backcountry, tailwheel aircraft aren't readily rentable, and if you wanted to take a 172 there are often restrictions that the flight school has against doing so.

Also - if you want something with 6 seats they can be very rare to find to rent, or if you just want something unique, that can be cause to own as well.

When you own, you have 100% say in what upgrades go into the aircraft, where it goes, when things change. I'm willing to pay a LOT of money in order to have that flexibility.

$4,000 total.
but we're still trying to chase down 50 more RPM. Going to get the fuel delivery system bench tested and adjusted. (I can't recall the technical term but he thinks the fuel is too rich at full throttle)

that's not horrible, considering the mag's shape.

That's the main reason I am sticking with a carbed 172 as my first plane when I am able to buy one.

Regarding justification of ownership: Keep in mind not all types of aircraft are readily rentable. If your goal is off airport/backcountry, tailwheel aircraft aren't readily rentable, and if you wanted to take a 172 there are often restrictions that the flight school has against doing so.

+1. When I lived back east, there was no way that I could take a rental 172 to visit my parents (grass strip nearby), or into Katama on the Vineyard.

that's not horrible, considering the mag's shape.

That's the main reason I am sticking with a carbed 172 as my first plane when I am able to buy one.

True, I didn't really complain too much. Just thought something like the mags should have been checked far more often. I'm getting quite a break on labor since I know the mechanic.

I will say I'm still partial to fuel injection. I believe this is a easy issue to chase down. I predict about a $400 bill when it's said and done. I'll get it looked at next week.

True, I didn't really complain too much. Just thought something like the mags should have been checked far more often. I'm getting quite a break on labor since I know the mechanic.

I will say I'm still partial to fuel injection. I believe this is a easy issue to chase down. I predict about a $400 bill when it's said and done. I'll get it looked at next week.

that's good that you know an A&P. I may have to make friends with one before I buy a plane.

Exactly, real XC are expensive if you rent.
Assume 3 weeks of XC trips,
21 days x min 3 hrs/day x $140/hr = $8820, ownership starts to make sense.
$140/hr!? that's dirt cheap. The rentals avialable for long XC overnighters in these parts go for ~$200/hr.

$140/hr!? that's dirt cheap. The rentals avialable for long XC overnighters in these parts go for ~$200/hr.

$140 gets you a 172 with GPS, but no autopilot, the key is they charge 3 hrs/day, minimum. They deduct whatever you spent on fuel, so it doesn't help to look for cheap fuel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back