First Annual

Dan why is the boot cowling so "lumpy"?

My guess (and only a guess) is that it was a salvage piece (or even pieces) "reformed" by a less-than-proficient metal worker. :sad:

The paint layers I stripped off included white and brown (with Zinc Chromate in between).

I can't imagine how hideous this airplane would have looked painted poop brown -- yuck!!

I've reshaped the aluminum to a decent smoothness and am working some magic with primer and sandpaper.

Pictures will follow (IF it turns out as nicely as I hope!) :D

I won't rag on you. I'd love to have a flying budget that could support paying someone else for all of the MX. Truth is, my budget is pretty small, so doing what I can myself leaves me more moola for gas.

Dunno if you have any mechanical aptitude, but the work that we do is pretty tame. Remove a bunch of screws and then remove panel/gas tank/instrument. Send it away for repairs. Put it back on and reinstall screws. Then have A&P check it. Frankly, its pretty easy and a lot of fun.

OTOH, you have a fairly complex bird. MX on it could be a PITA.

Thanks.:thumbsup:

It's not really an aptitude or interest issue so much as a time issue.

Yes, it is an annual 'inspection' and that is all the regs require... There is a fella who used to post under the screen name of toecutter who also stated he would do inspections and the necessary logbook entries for a fixed price if the owner had the ship opened up for him...

Human nature being what it is, most folks defer maintenance until the 'annual' since the airplane is opened up anyway - and the checkbook...
The AP&I being human of nature, sees the annual inspection as the doorway to more work for his shop - which is more cash flow <shrug>

We had a hoo haa on the field a few years back where after the inspection the AP&I handed the owner an estimate of many thousands of dollars of needed repairs... The owner refused to do the repairs and demanded his plane back... The AP&I then refused to sign off the inspection... The owner finally stomped in (with a large, scowling brother in law as back up), handed the AP&I a check for the inspection, screwed the cowling back on himself, and flew it away... The AP&I announced to one and all that he had turned the owner in to the FAA for flying an airplane that HE had declared was not airworthy... For a while he was quite vocal about this incident, then he suddenly became very silent... My suspicion is that the FAA saw it as a business dispute, not a regulatory issue...

I do as much mx on the bird as the law and my time will allow and buy the rest.. I am planning on a field overhaul of the left engine (right was done 2 years ago)... Once the weather goes sour for flying I will probably do it, rather than wait for the inspection...

denny-o

That's why I don't take my planes to just anyone. I'm a fair person, I treat others fairly, and I make sure that I would feel comfortable doing a handshake deal with anyone I use. If I don't feel that level of trust, I wouldn't use them. If I felt that the mx shop saw annual time as an opportunity to keep the boys workin' on my dime, well, I wouldn't go there in the first place.

Caveat emptor.

(Lincoln Park Aviation for Cessnas in NJ and Skytech in MD for Pipers - both get 2 thumbs up, in case anyone is looking for shop recommendations)

Dan, sounds like you're going to have a very nice looking (and flying) Chief out of this.

Looking forward to pictures!

You are correct; inspection is a fairly quick matter, and doing a full logbook/AD verification is not much longer, especially now that the whole thing is a matter of pushing keys on the computer (remember microfiche?).

Jim

Yes I do, and I don't miss it a bit.

Dan it must be a Chief thing. I have a friend with an english wheel who is working out a pretty rough looking Chief cowling for the guy who owns the gliderport. It's got a ton of really lousy welded repairs. In fact it needs some attention from a good welder too.

Dan it must be a Chief thing. I have a friend with an english wheel who is working out a pretty rough looking Chief cowling for the guy who owns the gliderport. It's got a ton of really lousy welded repairs. In fact it needs some attention from a good welder too.

Not sure... I know many Champs now flying have fiberglas replacements. Chiefs, I don't know.

:dunno:

John and I talked about using a wheel -- the downside is it would likely stretch this already beaten metal. He thinks it would be easier to just fabricate another one out of new .032.

Lots accomplished today.

Windscreen should be formed on Tuesday (LP Aero is local).

Cowling vastly improved, though still imperfect.

Interior tubes and panel repainted flat black.

Engine painted Lycoming Gray.

Oil cap and dipstick painted yellow.

Firewall painted.

Induction tubes cleaned, repainted with black high heat enamel, all new connecting hose.

All control pulleys lubed.

Aileron bolt replaced.

Wing root fairings repainted.

All screws replaced with stainless steel.

Propeller tips repainted.

Whew.... lots of work but looks good. I'm anxious to get it all done and flying!!

KWAY recently had all runways and taxiways repaved. The airport was closed for two weeks so I timed my annual perfectly. But I was envious of all the folks flying today!

Attachments

• IMG00001-20101023-1320.jpg
    IMG00001-20101023-1320.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG00002-20101023-1320.jpg
    IMG00002-20101023-1320.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 21
Whew... noon to 6 at the Maintenance hangar today.

Airplane is all put together except for the new windshield. Still waiting on LP Aero to fabricate.

Good news: They found a mold for my very unique windscreen and it should be done by Wednesday.
Bad news: Existing windshield was home-made plexiglas shaped with a heat gun. The replacement will cost $330

Almost done!! :D

(I know, it's like half-life). :sad:

Yesterday the windshield was finally put in place and screws and RTV applied. It still has smudges and some plexi-dust on it and yet it still is 100% more clear than the old windshield -- holy cow this will be nice!

Before when I flew below tower level I would turn right and look out the left side window, see if the way was clear, then turn back on course.

Landings were similar. I felt like Lindbergh in the Spirit of St Louis.

Now I will be able to see clearly straight ahead!

All induction tube connecting hoses were replaced -- some job with very little clearance and lots of clamps to place.

Yesterday also finished up the carb and cabin heat boxes -- each was cleaned up, re-painted, and missing screws replaced. All plugs pulled, cleaned, reinstalled. All SCAT tubes removed, cleaned.

Added original Aeronca logo decal on each side of vertical stab.

This has turned out to be a month-long project, but it's been good to get hands dirty and help open up, clean, refurb, and replace parts. I know the airplane better, and with an antique that can only be good.

Great Dan! I'd like to see some new photos when you get a chance. Sure looked like a fun little airplane at Windwood. Hope you can fly down again next year, and maybe with less XWind, we can go for a flight.

Great Dan! I'd like to see some new photos when you get a chance. Sure looked like a fun little airplane at Windwood. Hope you can fly down again next year, and maybe with less XWind, we can go for a flight.

Thanks! It is lots of fun -- I'm hoping to get out to LNS this Saturday -- weather dependent, of course! Would have no trouble taking you up on a nice cool day!

FINALLY!!!

:D

I took the morning off. Stopped by the airport last night after work and stayed until 1900. Put the wing root fairings back in, cleaned out the interior, and did a pre-flight check of everything else.

This morning arrived at 0830. John and I pulled it out on the ramp where we ran through the static tests -- everything ran as expected.

Put the cowling back on, bought 7.5 gallons of 100LL, and di another pre-flight.

Started up again (first throw with no prime -- before I had to prime every time) and taxied down to the end of 27. I had the airport to myself since it was a bit rainy with variable ceilings. It was VFR here now, though, so I did a radio check with Jim (the airport manager) and all was loud and clear (good -- I put the antenna back in correctly!)

Centerline, tailwheel straight, full power, oil pressure good, tail up, the earth falling away.

Nice.

I flew the pattern a few times, tried different power settings, hit 85 straight and level at 2500 RPM -- nice!

It was a bit bumpy 1000' AGL and the sky was dark to the south so I decided to land. Did one low pass then came around for the full stop. Nice touchdown and soon I was shut down in front of my hangar again -- it's been 5 weeks since I've been here!

Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/danmc61/N242862010Annual02

Congratulations! It turned out very nice. Especially the engine - very sharp looking.

John

Back