First Angel Flight

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Well Nick Two count em Two Class Bravo's in one weekend. In addition to Leslies Andrew flew an Angel Flight into KBOS on Friday and he was kind enough to let me sit right seat and do the jabbering on the radio and tell him where to turn, Dang they have a lot of Taxiways there. I have to send Andrew the photo so he can claim KBOS but I'll post it here for all to see. I have video too but not sure how to post it. Even the GA ramp at KBOS gave us an inferiority complex. All big beautiful biz jets. Andrew if your reading this send me your email so you can get the photo and claim the conus.

Last edited:
I flew my first Angel Flight mission on Friday. It was a doozy -- into and out of Boston Logan. The only other B airport I'd flown to was BWI, and they put me on a parallel (away from the big kids) runway. Friday I was vectored to 4L, with about 5-6 big boys waiting for me to clear their precious runway. I flew in hot, 140kts until 1.5mi final, so I floated a bit. Tower asked me twice to exit expeditiously as there was a Lear on short final.

AdamZ flew right seat and paid for his flight on the taxiways. Even having the diagram in front of me, and having studied it prior to the flight, I was kinda lost. Between the two of us we figured out the route to Signature. We killed some time with the epaulet crowd waiting for our pax, Mom and a 2yr old cancer patient, coming home for a break from chemo.

THe little boy was full of energy. His mom had energy too, in spite of what must be a terrible burden. We packed up and left, but not before the TSA had a good look at id's and belongings. Nice of them to guarantee that I wouldn't blow up my own airplane.

Adam paid off again on departure. Flying in was pretty simple; flying out was full of taxiway and frequency changes. It was great to have a radioman! Uneventful flight back, although we did pull "Angel Flight" rank to cut the corner from JFK to RBV instead of flying V1 to DIXIE and over. Our little guy was losing his lunch - I turned to Adam and said, "Time to take advantage of that Angel Flight callsign" which we did.

What a wonderful feeling to see the family (3 more kids plus dad) come across the tarmac at Wings to meet mom and baby brother. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to help them. I'm also grateful to Adam for hooking me up with Angel Flight and such an amazing first flight. I only wish that my landing(s) at Wings was smoother!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hot, high, and heavy is no way to land a 182 -- now I know better.

If you have the time, and the opportunity, I encourage you to volunteer your time to Angel Flight. You'll sleep better at night!

Oops sorry bout that Andrew, I tried to move my posts with the KOBS photos into your tread and somehow it stuck mine and Leslies first. If chuck can figure out how to make yours first that would make more sense.

Now I have to tell everyone Andrew has one fine plane and is a VERY competent pilot. He was calm and cool playing in the tall grass with the big dogs so to speak. Landing long at KBOS did us well as it put us closer to the taxiway we wanted. Oh BTW it was a USAir Regional jet behind us not a lear.

A quick lesson before accepting a clearance have a general idea where they are sending you. Clnc Del Gave us something or other to SEY then the 235 radial to intercept V46. While heading south Andrew and I kept saying 'where the hell is V46' No wonder we couldn't find it the damn thing was 1/2 to Bermuda. We both looked at eachother and said Uh we ain't gone that far out over the Atlantic and requested a re-route. It was a great flight and a great mission. The family was So Very appreciative. Over the Jewish holidays I said a prayer for the little boy. He is so young and has such a tough fight. I'm happy that perhaps Andrew and I to some extent were able to make the fight a little bit easier. Great Job Andrew. And BTW Andrew may have bounced a bit but at the last minute he realized that slipping it in with the back seat pax may have upset them a bit so this one is very forgivable. Great Job Andrew.

Post order is based on time. Adam posted first, so regardless of how the threads were merged, his post would be first.

Nothing I can do, sorry.

Back