First Angel flight in the books

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
I did my first Angel (Type) Flight yesterday. All went well even better than I could have hoped for. The patient had kidney problems and the rough roads caused problems for travel. KRNH to C29. we had a 30 kt tailwind. so we were traveling in smooth air @ 5500' at 180 kts. Very quick trip. I will say that a runway with Glare Ice and stiff cross wind will tell you how your cross wind technique is! I got a "That was fun" from her after we finally stopped just short of the end of a 4000' runway.

As a side note her daughter came along and had some interest in becoming a pilot. I had her fly about half of the trip. She had a blast. Mom from the back seat kept tapping me on the shoulder, "Is she OK?" "Doing great" I said "I think I'll take a nap". That got a few looks from both of them.:rofl:

The trip home not so quick:hairraise:

Dan

Was this the trip you asked me about? Glad you could get it done. It's a pretty good feeling, eh?

Was this the trip you asked me about? Glad you could get it done. It's a pretty good feeling, eh?

It is and it is. The heavens were with me. It was IFR down to min and in some places below the evening before. The IFR pilot that said he would go along called at the last minute and said it was VFR and he thought I could make it alone. The co-pilot I ended up with was way better looking and a lot more fun. The husband is doing a write up in the paper to show the town why we need an airport. Nothing bad came of it and every thing good.

Dan

It is and it is. The heavens were with me. It was IFR down to min and in some places below the evening before. The IFR pilot that said he would go along called at the last minute and said it was VFR and he thought I could make it alone. The co-pilot I ended up with was way better looking and a lot more fun. The husband is doing a write up in the paper to show the town why we need an airport. Nothing bad came of it and every thing good.

Dan

Sweet.

I did my first Angel (Type) Flight yesterday. All went well even better than I could have hoped for. The patient had kidney problems and the rough roads caused problems for travel. KRNH to C29. we had a 30 kt tailwind. so we were traveling in smooth air @ 5500' at 180 kts. Very quick trip. I will say that a runway with Glare Ice and stiff cross wind will tell you how your cross wind technique is! I got a "That was fun" from her after we finally stopped just short of the end of a 4000' runway.

As a side note her daughter came along and had some interest in becoming a pilot. I had her fly about half of the trip. She had a blast. Mom from the back seat kept tapping me on the shoulder, "Is she OK?" "Doing great" I said "I think I'll take a nap". That got a few looks from both of them.:rofl:

Nice work Dan! You got some goodwill for GA and possibly hooked a future pilot, all in one trip. :yes:

How bad were the winds at C29? Did you ever consider going to MSN instead? (I ask only because of your "just short of the end of a 4000' runway" comment.) If you had a nasty crosswind at C29 (10/28), MSN would have two runways almost right into the wind (18/36 and 3/21), and they're usually a tad cleaner too. Not that that stops RJ's from running off the runways. :rolleyes:

Was C29 home for them, or were they getting medical treatment at UW? Luckily, if you did have to divert to MSN they have courtesy cars. :yes:

Has anyone opened up a restaurant in the C29 terminal yet? Scott's Pastry Shoppe didn't last long, but I think that's mostly because they didn't understand GA (closed on weekends? You've gotta be kidding...) Too bad.

Good on ya! :yes:

Nice work Dan! You got some goodwill for GA and possibly hooked a future pilot, all in one trip. :yes:

How bad were the winds at C29? Did you ever consider going to MSN instead? (I ask only because of your "just short of the end of a 4000' runway" comment.) If you had a nasty crosswind at C29 (10/28), MSN would have two runways almost right into the wind (18/36 and 3/21), and they're usually a tad cleaner too. Not that that stops RJ's from running off the runways. :rolleyes:

Was C29 home for them, or were they getting medical treatment at UW? Luckily, if you did have to divert to MSN they have courtesy cars. :yes:

Has anyone opened up a restaurant in the C29 terminal yet? Scott's Pastry Shoppe didn't last long, but I think that's mostly because they didn't understand GA (closed on weekends? You've gotta be kidding...) Too bad.

Good on ya! :yes:

The wind wasn't too bad or so I thought before landing. It was the higher snow banks. I ended up with some wind shear I think that blew me around quite a bit. I never thought that the runway was going to be so bad, other wise I would have gone to MSN. I had planned on MSN first then thought it would be easier to get in and out on the car side of things at C29. They gave me one of the Avis renta cars for 30 bucks. I will remember that MSN has courtesy cars when I go pick her up for the return trip. I used all the runway because I was scared to use the brakes. The Bellanca has pos steering and the brakes get mighty touchy. Even on a normal dry runway I do not touch the brakes until I am very slow.

Dan

Back