First airport on my own

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
Hi Everyone...just to let you know I flew solo from JNX to HRJ on my own today. :D I am still trippin. My parents are taking me out to dinner to celebrate. IM SO HAPPY!!!!! :goofy: More to come later.

Last edited:
My first solo XC was just as rewarding as my first local solo for me. Its like you finally realize that everything that you've learned is going to get you somewhere. Have fun!!!

HPNFlyGirl said:
Hi Everyone...just to let you know I flew solo from JNX to HJR on my own today. :D I am still trippin. My parents are taking me out to dinner to celebrate. IM SO HAPPY!!!!! :goofy: More to come later.

Way to go Brook!! Doesn't make you really feel like you are a pilot!!

Kudos and next up the Long XC.

Hi HPN-

Great job. The trip sounds as routine as it ought to be, aside from it being the first.

Best regards!

Another major milestone out of the way. Checkride soon, we all hope.

Good Flying!

Hooray for you. Progress!!! Work hard and it will be the check ride before you know it.....:D

Way to go Brook! Before you know it, you'll be making reservations for Gaston's and be ready to fly yourself there! :D

-Chris

Way to Go!!!

Congratulations!!!!!

Terry

Brook,

Glad you got there and back all in one piece.

Good job.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Mark...I was going to take 3YN but Bobby told me to take LK, so I jumped on the chance. Maybe I should run into you guys at the airport more often because when I do good things happen. :yes:

:yes:
celebrate.gif

HPNFlyGirl said:
Hi Everyone...just to let you know I flew solo from JNX to HJR on my own today. :D I am still trippin. My parents are taking me out to dinner to celebrate. IM SO HAPPY!!!!! :goofy: More to come later.
Nothing like that first solo away from home. It only gets better. I once flew from my home field at the FNT to TVC to get cookies, lady at Potters Bakery thoght I lost my mind.

Good Luck Mike

HPNFlyGirl said:
Maybe I should run into you guys at the airport more often because when I do good things happen. :yes:

Thanks, but I don't think you need a lucky charm. You did this all on your own. Now, get the rest of the work done so you can stop calling yourself a student pilot and become a pilot in your own rite. :yes:

You go girl. I still remember my first solo away from my airport. I thought everybody and their brother was watching me land. I just kept thinking "please don't let me make a fool of myself".

Brooke, we (my sister and I )are about to pop a cork off a bottle.
First toast is to you..Congrats
KD

BTW B, I forgot to mention this earlier. The first solo cross country was more memorable for me than my first solo. That is the day that really stuck out in my head that I was doing something special. That I was actually going somewhere with and airplane and being somewhere other than home.

It won't be long now, you'll be joining us all at Gastons year after year. Do it!

HPNFlyGirl said:
I flew solo from JNX to HRJ on my own today. :D I am still trippin.

My first solo XC was every bit as exciting as the first solo. To actually leave your airport, fly somewhere else, find it, land safely, and return is a great accomplishment! Keep up the good work!

HPNFlyGirl said:
Hi Everyone...just to let you know I flew solo from JNX to HRJ on my own today. :D I am still trippin. My parents are taking me out to dinner to celebrate. IM SO HAPPY!!!!! :goofy: More to come later.

Cool, so you made it. Well done. I wish I was going to dinner with you, fuud down here sucks:vomit: except for kangaroo steaks. Roo is awesome meat, and 'cheap as chips' as the phrase goes. Makes me remember years back when I was a kid and the jokes about McRooburgers after McD got caught with roo meat. Looking back at it, they should have just campaigned for the meat and kept selling it. Much healthier, clean red meat with no fat.

Not quite a x/c it was only 19.3 miles but still I did it. :goofy: I will type up the "story" when I get home from work tonight.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Not quite a x/c it was only 19.3 miles but still I did it. :goofy: I will type up the "story" when I get home from work tonight.

Not quite is a very good way of putting it at this point, but put an astrisk on that flight and stick it in the X/C column. You'll count it down the road as a cross country flight. Any flight to a destination other than the field you left from is a cross country flight. In order to count them in furtherance of a rating, they have to meet the requirements for that rating. While it doesn't count for this rating, it will for future ratings as well as insurance declarations, job applications... or not, what the heck difference does an hour make on most of the forms you'll fill out. Although, after my instructor and I both seperately and again together added up all my time and came up with 40. The DE came up with 39.9:eek: . So off for a lap in the pattern while he had a cup of coffee.

HPNFlyGirl said:

It may not meet the > 50nm for official XC purposes, but it still accomplished the goal: get you out away from your home field, find the destination, land safely, and return. Great job! FWIW, my 1st XC was also < 50nm, some CFIs want to do baby steps, and that is fine.

Bill Jennings said:
It may not meet the > 50nm for official XC purposes, but it still accomplished the goal: get you out away from your home field, find the destination, land safely, and return. Great job! FWIW, my 1st XC was also < 50nm, some CFIs want to do baby steps, and that is fine.

I can't think of one instructor who would send you on a fifty miler without sending you to the neighbors place first. It's part of the natural order.

Congrats Brook. Another milestone! :D

For those who would like details here they are:

I got to the airport early so I went to the FBO to tell them to top off the tanks. Then I saw Mark and Agatha said Hi to them.

Went to the flt school & Bobby told me to take Lima Kilo. She was just washed. Preflight the airplane, there is water in the pitot tube. "Uh Bobby, there is wter in the pitot tube. Brook they just washed it....so will it dry out....uh yeah." He was getting ready for an intro flight. I don't think he wanted me going out there & back w/o a magnetic compass.

Everything is good. I started the plane. Get my wx and rwys & set the freqs in the radios. Bobby and his pax are taxxing to the rwy. I follow behind.

Do the run up...over 100 drop on the left mag. Burned the carbon off it.

Take the active and climb to 1000 feet and turn so I could cross over midfield and flew to my heading. 2000 feet get her set up for cruise flight. About 7 miles out I called Harnett Co and let them know I was coming from the east inbound for landing rwy 5.

Man was it bumpy.

Crossed over mid field came around to enter on a 45* left downwind for rwy 5. Called base turned base and then final. Touched down pretty nicely. My heart was racing so I had to pull off and go get a soda, sit for a few minuites and think about what I had just done.

WOW I MADE IT!!!!!

I spoke with a few guys at the FBO...they complimented my plane and how nice she looked.

Oh...now I have to go back. Say goodbye to the guys I met and thew my purse in the back seat. Well when I went to move my seat up, my purse fell out of the door. I started the plane up made my radio calls & I hear..."Missy taxiing to rwy 5 @ Harnett Co., you dropped your purse. Just pull around and let us taxi up to the fuel pump." :redface:

Oh man, how embarassing, but I was glad he was there to tell me about it.

I parked the plane again, jumped out...grabbed my bag, and got in the plane, started her up, and announced I was taxiing to rwy 5. Did my runup far away from the gliders.

There were lots of gliders that yesterday. I waved to them as I taxiied to take the active. Took off....found my heading...made my radio calls. Found my check points and saw the wind was blowing me off a little bit...corrected for it. Then JNX came up pretty quick.

Went through all my chk lists and annoucned I was going to enter on a 45* left downwind for rwy 3. "LK were out here doing ILS appchs....let us know when you turn base....we then will break off the appch and go missed." "Will do..LK" a little later..."LK base rwy 3" ...."LK do you have us in site....Yes, LK has traffic in site.....ok we are breaking off the appch now."

Came in and bounced, and had a nice recovery.

All in all a great lesson.

Thanks for listening (reading) my story.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Thanks for listening (reading) my story.

It was a nice story. Congratulations on the accomplishment.

well written, B.

BTW - everytime you post I get that freaking Nellie Furtado song stuck in my head.

Maybe time for a new sig? :dunno: :D

HPNFlyGirl said:
For those who would like details here they are:...

Sounds like you did just fine. It was nice to see you picked up on needing the wind correction. It's that same perception that turns landings into art. Keep at, you're getting there. Don't worry about a bounced landing here and there, and if I had a dime for everytime I left something sitting on the ramp....

Back