First Airplane?

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
What is the best first airplane to buy after getting your private license? I am not getting a plane just yet maybe in a year or two. But the mission is flying around town maybe cross country every month or so. Any plane ideas? I was thinking DA-40, Cessna 172, or Cirrus sr20... Any other great planes I am missing?

From what little you've told us about your flying desires, I'd say a 172 or like aircraft. How many people would you tipically carry?

My first was a 172 until I defined my mission and costs.Had a lot of fun in that airplane couldn't hurt it.

172, 182, PA28-180 (Archer) for local and XC
Sr20 is overkill if it's 75% local flying

What is the best first airplane to buy after getting your private license? I am not getting a plane just yet maybe in a year or two. But the mission is flying around town maybe cross country every month or so. Any plane ideas? I was thinking DA-40, Cessna 172, or Cirrus sr20... Any other great planes I am missing?

Great question...hope this thread gets lots of attention!

probably the best thing to do is fly for a while and see what you like. the reality of how much/little and the type of flying you do will influence your decision.

The best airplane to purchase is the one that most precisely fits your mission. How many pax, how much weight, how far do you expect to go? My first airplane was a Cessna 150 and it was fine. Buzzed around and did the occasional cross country. But if your cross countries are over mountains or a thousand nautical miles, that might not be the best fit for you. If you need your main squeeze to come along and she like to pack, it is definitely not the best fit. A lot depends on what you want to do.

The other question comes down to experimental vs certified, tailwheel vs nosewheel. Classic or modern?

An RV is good if you want taildragger or nosewheel and only need 2 seats. Good speed and economy, but cheap enough for local putzing. If you want classic, you could go for a Cub or other little pure fun plane. If you need 4 seats and want to do IFR, a 170/172, 180/182 would work. I'd define the mission more closely and fly a few to decide.

My first plane was an Aztec at 225 TT.

What do you NEED the plane to do.

Don't buy a 150 if you need a four seater just because you are new. You (most likely) can learn to fly just about anything out there if you are willing to commit to it.

Define your mission for sure as others have said.

Personally if able financially go for 182. that way you can gain experience in a aircraft with little more airpower. Abilty to carry more folks and gear then the trusty 172. That being said the Piper 180 is nice choice.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck, even though you can never justify a plane I love owning one.

To help you better, we need to know things like:
  • Purchase budget (what amount are you prepared to spend on the airplane)?
  • Cash purchase or are you financing (interest adds to the fixed costs)
  • Are you debt free except for house?
  • Is the wife and family okay with you adding this extra financial strain on the budget?
  • How much can you afford to spend each just to keep the aircraft (for things like hangar, insurance, interest expense, inspections, databases, etc.etc.etc). This is known as fixed costs.
  • How much do you really plan on flying? Not just a dream, but honestly fly?
  • How often will you have a passenger or passengers (note: it's less than you think)
  • What will be your routine range of flying (not the once/twice a year long trips, but the more common flights)

Last edited:
And the common answers to what first plane to purchase can be (in no particular order)

1. David White's Mooney
2. Ed's Comanche
3. Henning's 310
4. Any well kept Bonanza

My first plane was a 172, my second a Mooney - my third will probably be an RV.

And that was before breakfast! [tease]

Since you started so young, I think the board needs to start a long term betting pool about the number of aircraft you wind up owning by age 40.

Student pilot checking in. My situation is that I've got access to a Cessna 182 until the end of the year, at which point I should probably buy my own airplane if I don't want to be a leech.

Comments the others have made are relevant: how far will you be flying, with how many folks? The answers to that help determine which aircraft works well for you. In my case there will be some monthly 550 mile commutes, but most of the time I'll be flying with a maximum of two people, and can probably borrow my friend's C182 when I need more capability (we'll probably trade planes that week.)

So, planes to look at as I see it are as follows. Please note that I've never owned a plane, and there may be some significant issues to take into account that I'm simply ignorant of.
  • Mooneys are cool. These are reasonably fast and efficient, but they're not known for their comfort. My wife has back issues, so I ruled this one out, but it deserves significant consideration.
  • The Cessna 182 is the "do everything acceptably" plane. Buy one and you can carry 4 people with bags comfortably, and you've got a plane that's simple, well-understood, and easy to maintain. Other aircraft are faster, more efficient, and so on, but this is probably the baseline that other planes should be compared to. It's just a good, basic, do everything plane.
  • The Cherokee series is worth looking at. In my case I'm giving serious consideration to a 180hp version. Not as big as the C182, carries a few hundred pounds less at a slower speed, but it's also cheap to maintain and the trade-off is lower fuel burn, therefore a lower cost per hour to run it.
  • The Comanche is an older Piper product, but these are well-loved by their owners and are well respected. Comfortable, available with 4 cylinder (180hp) or 6 cylinder (250/260) Lycoming engines, these look like a plane you can buy once and enjoy forever. It's also on my shortlist.
  • The Bonanza and Debonair. Lots of gravity around this line that eventually sucks many pilots in. It's what many aspire to, and are known to be comfortable and fast and well-built. Research is needed here though, as it is with the Comanches.
  • Grumman Tiger. This is a fixed gear cruiser that's pretty fast and pretty cheap to run. Lots love them.
  • Cessna 177B. Call it a roomier Piper Archer with a high wing. Some love them, some really don't. I've never sat in one so I can't comment.
That's the list of those I'm considering. Cessna made a range of retracts that are interesting, but the possible gear issues made me wary, and my mechanic's unwillingness to annual them ruled them out. If well maintained they're supposed to be pretty reliable, and if the trade-offs are acceptable a 182 or 177 with folding wheels could be really appealing.

In the end you're going to need to define your mission, so you can make an appropriate trade-off between cost to maintain, fuel economy, speed, comfort, and cost. You've got 50 years of planes to choose from as well, so research isn't a bad thing.

If you're like me there are a few planes that will work well, and making the decision about the trade-offs, and then finding the right example to buy is the hard part.

Even though this isnt my thread I will take this test since I am in the market! :)

To help you better, we need to know things like:
  • Purchase budget (what amount are you prepared to spend on the airplane)? 60K ish
  • Cash purchase or are you financing (interest adds to the fixed costs) Cash
  • Are you debt free except for house? Water and power are my only bills
  • Is the wife and family okay with you adding this extra financial strain on the budget? No wife, kids are 9 and 7
  • How much can you afford to spend each just to keep the aircraft (for things like hangar, insurance, interest expense, inspections, databases, etc.etc.etc). This is known as fixed costs. I canceled my country club membership last month ($490 per month) and plan on putting all of it toward flying...so I cant say exactly how much I can spend but I don't have any bills...
  • How much do you really plan on flying? Not just a dream, but honestly fly? We like to travel, I like to travel. I am in New Orleans and would love to travel to the FL panhandle as well as Houston regularly.
  • How often will you have a passenger or passengers (note: it's less than you think) Hard to know...3 adult men for weekend getaways 4 times a year...besides that the kids and a gf
  • What will be your routine range of flying (not the once/twice a year long trips, but the more common flights) New Orleans to Houston and FL would be my longer trips. Normal trips of 200 miles one way

I forgot about hunting season which is the reason my son wants me to buy a plane. We make an 11 hour drive to Texas and it would be great to fly there. Is it 520nm. Just wanted to add that.

Last edited:
Even though this isnt my thread I will take this test since I am in the market! :)

I forgot about hunting season which is the reason my son wants me to buy a plane. We make an 11 hour drive to Texas and it would be great to fly there. Is it 520nm. Just wanted to add that.

You need a 182. The good news is you can get a nice one within your budget.

The bad news is.......there is no bad news. Go buy a 182.

Student pilot checking in. My situation is that I've got access to a Cessna 182 until the end of the year, at which point I should probably buy my own airplane if I don't want to be a leech.

Comments the others have made are relevant: how far will you be flying, with how many folks? The answers to that help determine which aircraft works well for you. In my case there will be some monthly 550 mile commutes, but most of the time I'll be flying with a maximum of two people, and can probably borrow my friend's C182 when I need more capability (we'll probably trade planes that week.)

So, planes to look at as I see it are as follows. Please note that I've never owned a plane, and there may be some significant issues to take into account that I'm simply ignorant of.
  • Mooneys are cool. These are reasonably fast and efficient, but they're not known for their comfort. My wife has back issues, so I ruled this one out, but it deserves significant consideration.
  • The Cessna 182 is the "do everything acceptably" plane. Buy one and you can carry 4 people with bags comfortably, and you've got a plane that's simple, well-understood, and easy to maintain. Other aircraft are faster, more efficient, and so on, but this is probably the baseline that other planes should be compared to. It's just a good, basic, do everything plane.
  • The Cherokee series is worth looking at. In my case I'm giving serious consideration to a 180hp version. Not as big as the C182, carries a few hundred pounds less at a slower speed, but it's also cheap to maintain and the trade-off is lower fuel burn, therefore a lower cost per hour to run it.
  • The Comanche is an older Piper product, but these are well-loved by their owners and are well respected. Comfortable, available with 4 cylinder (180hp) or 6 cylinder (250/260) Lycoming engines, these look like a plane you can buy once and enjoy forever. It's also on my shortlist.
  • The Bonanza and Debonair. Lots of gravity around this line that eventually sucks many pilots in. It's what many aspire to, and are known to be comfortable and fast and well-built. Research is needed here though, as it is with the Comanches.
  • Grumman Tiger. This is a fixed gear cruiser that's pretty fast and pretty cheap to run. Lots love them.
  • Cessna 177B. Call it a roomier Piper Archer with a high wing. Some love them, some really don't. I've never sat in one so I can't comment.
That's the list of those I'm considering. Cessna made a range of retracts that are interesting, but the possible gear issues made me wary, and my mechanic's unwillingness to annual them ruled them out. If well maintained they're supposed to be pretty reliable, and if the trade-offs are acceptable a 182 or 177 with folding wheels could be really appealing.

In the end you're going to need to define your mission, so you can make an appropriate trade-off between cost to maintain, fuel economy, speed, comfort, and cost. You've got 50 years of planes to choose from as well, so research isn't a bad thing.

If you're like me there are a few planes that will work well, and making the decision about the trade-offs, and then finding the right example to buy is the hard part.

My dad (62) has back problems and found the Mooney about 10x more comfortable than the 172. I also think the Mooney is more comfortable. Have you ever sat in one? Most people who preach about the small size have never been in one - Kent Shook is about 6'5 and he fits in a Mooney.

Last edited:
You need a 182. The good news is you can get a nice one within your budget.

The bad news is.......there is no bad news. Go buy a 182.

If by 182 you mean Comanche. Then yes, I agree.

I even have one for sale within his budget.

Last edited:
My dad (62) has back problems and found the Mooney about 10x more comfortable than the 172. I also think the Mooney is more comfortable. Have you ever sat in one? Most people who preach about the small size have never been in one - Kent Shook is about 6'5 and he fits in a Mooney.

Kent's defintion of "fits" and my definition of "fits" are different. I honestly don't know how he sits in one for more than 1/2 an hour. That's my limit. The last J i was in I wanted out after 30 minutes. Head was cocked to the side to keep from banging on the door/headliner like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man, and my right arm was about as useful as Bob Dole's.

My dad (62) has back problems and found the Mooney about 10x more comfortable than the 172. I also think the Mooney is more comfortable.

I quite agree after getting about 5 hours in M20E. It's quite comfortable. And for a wife with bad back the seat is much likely to be better than in a 180 hp Cherokee the OP inexplicably included.

Still, that M20E had a bunch of oddities (note that David had M20J IIRC). Manual gear requires a bit of manual dexterity, and so does the fuel switch. In fact the owner fashioned a crank from a PVC pipe that allowed to operate the switch. Even better, a wizard at Mooney Acft placed the "off" position between "left" and "right", so you go through "off" every time you switch tanks, on a switch that really wants to jam on you. I thought I'd get gray hair, in fact maybe I did. Then, hydrolic flaps... Seriously?

In flight, M20E is unfriendly to a clumsy pilot and it's really annoying. Not that it's too "slippery" or anything... Others keep ragging on it, but I had no trouble making it slow down. I'm a VFR pilot, I can "slip" it a little any time. The trouble was the necessity to hit the numerous small windows to operate the systems, like when to drop the gear, when to lower the flaps. On a Cherokee you basically can lower the flaps any time unless you're diving 25 degrees down. Flying Mooney is flying the list of limitations. Boooooring.

Having sat in the right seat of a few M20J's, I can also claim they are comfortable for someone of average size (6'00" 215lbs).

Exiting aircraft without looking like I'm doing a PLF, however, is a skill I've yet to develop.

As far as SEL retracts, the later M20J's are in my top 3 to evaluate. (though you can't beat an updated "E" model for reduced cost of entry)

Wow! A lot of replies already! My main purpose of this aircraft is probably 60% in town and 40% cross country. I probably need to carry at least 4 full sized adults. I was thinking about the Cessna skylane. My budget would probably be about 100k. I may even think about doing a leaseback. If I do a leaseback I would probably buy a new one. I am a college student so obviously my parents would help me out with this purchase. But this is the main purpose. I would be also flying from my college to my hometown during the breaks which is about 6 hours to drive. In the summer I would be doing a lot of flying and cross countries. Hopefully this helps, if not ask more questions please.

You might want to rethink doing a leaseback on a new plane.

Just sayin'.

If it fits your mission a Diamond DA40 is a great airplane. It is fun to fly and has a great safety record. Four full sized adults would be a problem in most four seat single engine airplanes and $100k is a little tight for used DA40s. You can learn a lot about the airplane by visiting the free Diamond forum http://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/

Wow! A lot of replies already! My main purpose of this aircraft is probably 60% in town and 40% cross country. I probably need to carry at least 4 full sized adults. I was thinking about the Cessna skylane. My budget would probably be about 100k. I may even think about doing a leaseback. If I do a leaseback I would probably buy a new one. I am a college student so obviously my parents would help me out with this purchase. But this is the main purpose. I would be also flying from my college to my hometown during the breaks which is about 6 hours to drive. In the summer I would be doing a lot of flying and cross countries. Hopefully this helps, if not ask more questions please.

FWIW My dad just looked into buying a JT-A and putting it on leaseback - for about 10 minutes. Unless you have the right relationship with the right FBO, you won't make any money(and even then, barely any at all) airplanes for rent just get the **** beat out of them - its not worth it IMO. Buy a $100k airplane (you can get a hell of an airplane for 100k)

I wish I still lived in New Braunfels, I know a bunch of folks out there with a bunch of different airplanes that you could look at (and fly in) to see if the type was for you.

But don't do leaseback.

Hang in there OP, we have a couple more pages of Grumman, Mooney and 182 talk to go before you realize you'll be getting a Bonanza. :)

Hang in there OP, we have a couple more pages of Grumman, Mooney and 182 talk to go before you realize you'll be getting a Bonanza. :)

A Bonanza is not the best airplane for someone who isn't even a private pilot.

It's like telling someone to buy a Cirrus as their first airplane.

edit: I think OP needs something fixed gear. A 182 would do him something nice.

Wow... I didn't know a leaseback was that bad! I will definitely rethink that then... So any good planes your guys would recommend for 100K and that short of completes the mission? I was really thinking about a DA-40. Most the time I will be flying with one person or just me. I love how they also have a G1000 in them.

Back