First airplane

n1959

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
N1959
Hi everyone.................. Just bought my first airplane, a 1959 Cessna 175.I'm based in Texas and looking forward to learning things about the airplane that's not in the poh. I'm a CFII and MEI and i might pick up a student or two.

Is it a GO-300? Idle it high - a low speed idle will make the gearbox chatter and reduce its life.

I started a thread about the 175 awhile back, try searching

Yes it is a GO300.......I idle around 1200 , climb f/p and cruise @ 2800. What's your egt at?

Yes it is a GO300.......I idle around 1200 , climb f/p and cruise @ 2800. What's your egt at?

I don't have one, just looked into them awhile back as there are a lot of good deals out there.

Congratulations on your first plane!! There's lots of us in San Marcos (HYI) and Austin (AUS), so bring it by and show it off!

the only 175 i've ever flown is hot-rodded with an O-470. It climbs real good.

Keep the revs up. I know it'll sound funny but the O-300 is a workhorse, and with the gear reduction and different cam they like to spin. Also, I wouldn't spend a lot of time in an under-torque condition(prop slowing the plane) due to the gear drive bevel arrangement.

Later engines had crank counterweights to lower vibration. If you have an early engine, it might shake the glare shield, and no amount of new motor mounts or balancing will cure it.

Congrats on the new purchase. I too seriously considred a 175 about a year ago but opted agains it due to the orphaned engine and difficulty in finding parts. I'd see guys on the Skylark site posting about when an old 175 or GO-300 went on to the scrap yard and the rush to buy the old engines and canibalize them. The difficulty in finding parts aside it is a great plane with good load carrying ability and short field abilty.

Do not baby that engine. I think the prime reason they put a 1200 TBO on the GO-300 was that people babied them and they died young ( the engine that is) Keep those RPMs high.

Your lucky that I think one of the prime shops who do GO-300 Overhauls is in Texas. I recommend that you join the owners group, you can find them online somewhere. They are about the best source of info on parts out there. Enjoy the plane and fly it hard!

Do not baby that engine. I think the prime reason they put a 1200 TBO on the GO-300 was that people babied them and they died young ( the engine that is) Keep those RPMs high.

The TBO is a function of load and swept cycles(piston travel * RPM * hours), and I don't think it ever had anything to do with use cycles. The engine spins about 18% more per flight hour over the O-300. It also puts out 175HP which is 30HP more than the O-300 on the same displacement.

Like most Contis the case, cam and crank(with added counterweights) will last for >2500 hours but the jugs are good for 1000 hours if lucky.

Congratulations on your first plane!! There's lots of us in San Marcos (HYI) and Austin (AUS), so bring it by and show it off!

Many about the DFW area too.

Thanks for the warm welcome...........
I like to also add that the tail number is in fact N1959.......and is under the left wing. (certified as such)
You folks at HyI or Aus let me know when your next get together is....
and i'll come by......

Thanks for the warm welcome...........
I like to also add that the tail number is in fact N1959.......and is under the left wing. (certified as such)
You folks at HyI or Aus let me know when your next get together is....
and i'll come by......

By the way:needpics:

Because we all know if there ain't photos ( inluding panel) you don't really own it :wink2:

Absolutely correct AdamZ.
Here is a couple of pics if i can up load them..
I guess i can't............
Any way to upload pics from pc??

Here are some pics of N1959.

Attachments

• 02092013843.jpg
    02092013843.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 02092013850.jpg
    02092013850.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 02092013841.jpg
    02092013841.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 60
Wow a real beauty! Obviously well kept. I love that classic fastback design. Enjoy her and fly her well! Congrats.

Yep, keeper. In case you don't know, the 175 is a great bush plane right out of the gate. There are STCs for the 180/185 gear legs and TW to turn it into an outstanding bush plane.

The 175 could also be had with a CS prop, although not sure if it would be worth the added weight and cost. I think just put gas in and fly it is a good program. Oh, the O-300 loves auto fuel too.

wondering if strut fairings are worth it.....it will look cleaner, but @ $ 230.00?
:dunno::dunno::dunno:

You know you want them. :D

It never ends. Next you'll be looking at flap and gap seals, new nose gear fairings, etc.

You know you want them. :D

It never ends. Next you'll be looking at flap and gap seals, new nose gear fairings, etc.

:yes: i hear you........the seller gave me some repair money that i may not have to do after all, so it's burning a hole..........
I need a xponder inspection,reset the display in the kx155 (spotty).
Just had an annual in Jan 10.everything good........
going to replace the battery solenoid (intermittent)

:yes: i hear you........the seller gave me some repair money that i may not have to do after all, so it's burning a hole..........
I need a xponder inspection,reset the display in the kx155 (spotty).
Just had an annual in Jan 10.everything good........
going to replace the battery solenoid (intermittent)

10th of January 2013 or January 2010?

-VanDy

Congrats, she's a beauty! I'm up in the DFW metroplex. Be sure to let us know if you make it up this way!

was looking in the posts for a good and safe bug remover...........
someone at the field told me about spraying the leading edges with PAM cooking oil..............
Any one tried that?

was looking in the posts for a good and safe bug remover...........
someone at the field told me about spraying the leading edges with PAM cooking oil..............
Any one tried that?

My favorite is plain water and a WalMart microfiber cloth. It is even easier if you do it after each flight.

And, congratulations on your new purchase.

Scott

My favorite is plain water and a WalMart microfiber cloth. It is even easier if you do it after each flight.

And, congratulations on your new purchase.

Scott

Thank you Scott,it'll be mosquito heaven again this summer in southeast Texas..........

Last edited:
New Engine

Would you put a new (conversion) engine in this plane...............

1959 175
tt 1870 (yes that's all)
smoh 530

current engine: Go300 engine
Interior 10
Exterior 10
avionics: kx155(1),kx76,king adf,Apollo Murrow II and Garmin 295.
All original controls
All AD's C/W
No Issues at all

when it is time?:yesnod::nono::dunno:

its time when the compressions, oil consumption, and your A&P all tell you its time.

How much is the conversion, and how much(if possible) is the MOH of the GO-300? This is pretty important.

This is why the 175 is kind of a disposable plane. To convert it to a 180/172SP is pretty pricey. To rebuild the G engine, you need to insure the reduction gears are not worn. After that, the cost of the bits are pretty high, and you are still living with the 1200 hour TBO.

Back