First airplane

How old were you when you purchaed your first plane?

• Twenties

Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Thirties

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • Forties

Votes: 28 28.3%
  • Fifties

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Over 60

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

mirage00

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Mirage00
As I get older and continue to dream of owning my own airplane, I simetimes wonder if I will be young enough to enjoy one when (or if) I finally can. With 4 kids and tons of bills it sometmes feels like it will always remain, just a dream.

Anyway, I was thinking it would be interesting to know how old you were when you purchased your first airplane?

Last edited:
I was around 64 or 65 when I bought my first airplane. Apparently not old enough to know better. It was something I wanted, I in no way needed it, nor could I justify it.

I have always liked to own my own toys, I don't know why that is. As a toddler, I spent several years in an orphanage, we had nothing we could call our own. It probably came from that, but I'm just guessing.

-John

It was my graduation gift to myself after getting a MS.

No options for under 20?

27 and I had 1.3 hours Total in my logbook... I HATE renting anything.:yesnod:

Good ol N4341X..... my first born...

N6155J AA-5. Loved that plane. Learned a lot about ownership and the hard choices you have to make to keep it.

My first aircraft was a towed kite pulled behind a boat. I bought that when I was around 15 and taught myself to fly it. My first airplane purchase was a group buy of a homebuilt biplane when I was 30 and the first airplane I bought entirely for/by myself was a Bonanza purchased when I was 36.

I turned 50 before I bought my DA40. I waited until I was financially secure enough to get exactly what I wanted.

I actually bought the plane prior to even taking my first introductory flight. 61 Piper Comanche 250 with less than 3000 total hours. Always hangered and rarely flown. Just had the annual with all AD's previously updated. Needed 1 valveseat re-ground and she is just like new. Check ride Scheduled for August and then training with CFI to learn how to fly my own bird..

i guess i must've been 20, just shy of 21 when I bought 373Y

28 and I bought a flight school and four airplanes.....

People arn't even real people until they're 25. If you bought a plane at 19 then it's the same as if you bought a plane at 4 in my book. Don't get me wrong, I have kids and love them to death. But they don't accomplish anything...nor should they. They are learning how to be humans as is every human under 25.

I don't care if you're a child actor at 8 making 30 million a year...your just a kid doing what kids do. Sorry to everyone under 25 who takes offense...but my guess is when you're 30 you'll feel the same way.

Starting the poll in the 20's is appropriate as I don't care about teenagers buying anything...it ain't real money.

Last edited:
People arn't even real people until they're 25. If you bought a plane at 19 then it's the same as if you bought a plane at 4 in my book. Don't get me wrong, I have kids and love them to death. But they don't accomplish anything...nor should they.

WTF mate

I just turned 25, you're tellin me everything i've done up to this point was worthless and I did not accomplish anything? relationships, decisions, things i've learned, all just kid stuff huh

only in the last hundred years or so did we even have a life expectancy much past 25

Last edited:
Hmm, I was an A&P IA with 6 years of experience at age 25...

My fiancé is a police officer at age 25...

People arn't even real people until they're 25. If you bought a plane at 19 then it's the same as if you bought a plane at 4 in my book. Don't get me wrong, I have kids and love them to death. But they don't accomplish anything...nor should they. They are learning how to be humans as is every human under 25.

I don't care if you're a child actor at 8 making 30 million a year...your just a kid doing what kids do. Sorry to everyone under 25 who takes offense...but my guess is when you're 30 you'll feel the same way.

Starting the poll in the 20's is appropriate as I don't care about teenagers buying anything...it ain't real money.

So I go to Cessna at the ripe age of 20 and am already a millionaire. I buy the nicest, shiniest plane on the lot with my "fake money".

Another guy comes to Cessna for his 25th birthday and he too buys the nicest, shiniest plane on the lot with his "real money".

Does that mean I have to go take my cessna back in 5 years when I start making "real money"? Or that his plane is "real" and that my plane is "fake"?:nono::rolleyes2:

I bought my arrow when I was 27. I wish I would have bought sooner. Nothing like going to fly when ever you darn well fell like it.

haven't bought it yet, but i'm making it a goal to get one before i turn 30. currently 24.5, so a little over 5 years to go.

Fibe two...N7880L

Seriously?

At 17 I graduated high school and started Army basic training.

At 18 I finished AIT, came home, did a semester of college, got married and re-entered active duty.

At 19 our daughter was born. I was now supporting a wife and child..

At 21 our first son was born, and I left for Korea.

By the time I turned 25 we'd had two more kids, I was out of the Army, and we were living in Cleveland with a mortgage and two cars. I'd done more by the time I turned 25 than some people I know who are twice that age. So... maybe you weren't a "real person" before you turned 25, pal. I sure as hell was.

Still don't own an airplane, though.

Back