First aerobatics ride.

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I went for my first aerobatics ride last week and must say I am hooked. That was the most fun I have had in an airplane. I did get to log sometime in the stearman and that was the first time I have flown anything with a stick. I loved the open cockpit, the wind blowing through both of my hairs. Now I want to take some aerobatics lessons, so if any of you know of a good mid-west location, let me know.

Last edited:
Hehehehehehe. Another one bites the dust.

Is Kansas City OK? I've got someone there who teaches in a Pitts. Very, very, very good.

Dean said:
Now I want to take some aerobatics lessons, so if any of you know of a good mid-west location, let me know.
Dean, welcome to the club. :)

There's also a flight school listed in St. Louis. I've considered running up there to get some instruction in their Citabria.

Diana,

St.Louis is within a hour drive or 20 min flight, so would you send me the info you have. Thanks!!

Dean said:
St.Louis is within a hour drive or 20 min flight, so would you send me the info you have. Thanks!!
Dean, here is the info on some aerobatic schools from the IAC web site:

http://www.iac.org/begin/schools.html

Just scroll down to MO and it will also list the one that Chip was referring to.

Maybe you can check them out and let me know how you liked flying with them. :)

Dean said:
I went for my first aerobatics ride last week and must say I am hooked. That was the most fun I have had in an airplane.

Hahahaha! Welcome to the aerobatic clan. Great fun, isn't it? And, you'll learn so much more about aircraft control and upset recovery. Good deal.

gibbons said:
Hehehehehehe. Another one bites the dust.

Yeah, Dean, now what are you going to do? Buy that bigger family plane, or look for a nice sporty aircraft?

I'm still the great waffler, but I am jonesin' bigtime for a ride in an aerobatic plane. Just have to keep the nose to the grindstone on the IR...

Bill Jennings said:
Yeah, Dean, now what are you going to do? Buy that bigger family plane, or look for a nice sporty aircraft?

I'm still the great waffler, but I am jonesin' bigtime for a ride in an aerobatic plane. Just have to keep the nose to the grindstone on the IR...

I still believe that a acro bird is an easy plane to share. Nobody is likely to want to take a 3 week x/c and for that matter, aside from contests (which all owners can participate in if they want), nobody is likely to have it out of the hangar for more than a couple hours at a time. Plus you get to share the cost of all the extra essentials like chutes. So find a dozen other like minded pilots and you can get a pretty decent S2 with each putting in less than a good motorcycle costs, or a nice Extra for a bit more.

lancefisher said:
So find a dozen other like minded pilots .

Easier said than done, especially in a smaller city like Chattanooga. I mentioned this at the club meeting, and most members looked at me like I was a space alien. "What, go upside down in an airplane? I want no part of that, pal."

I do have my name in a hat on a potential 4-way partnership on a Super Decathalon, but I don't know if it will work out... (won't know until at least turn of the year, some of the potentials may be tire kickers)

Bill Jennings said:
Easier said than done, especially in a smaller city like Chattanooga. I mentioned this at the club meeting, and most members looked at me like I was a space alien. "What, go upside down in an airplane? I want no part of that, pal."

I do have my name in a hat on a potential 4-way partnership on a Super Decathalon, but I don't know if it will work out... (won't know until at least turn of the year, some of the potentials may be tire kickers)

Yeah, finding pilots interested in something more than straight and level can be tough anywhere. If you are serious, try posting on all the local (physical) bulletin boards.

Not to be too discouraging, but I advertised in three newspapers and on about a dozen websites and on all the area bulletin boards. People called me, yeah! yeah! I want an aerobatic plane! Sounds like fun! When I got specific about what I was looking at, they all dropped out for various vague reasons. All quite enthusiastic on the phone and then after they saw the pictures, nothing.

I have met a couple people in other parts of the country who would make good partners, but nobody nearby. It seems to be a fairly limited group. And people just get cold feet, maybe because these airplanes have a more limited mission than regular straight-and-level a/c.

Toby said:
Not to be too discouraging, but I advertised in three newspapers and on about a dozen websites and on all the area bulletin boards. People called me, yeah! yeah! I want an aerobatic plane! Sounds like fun! When I got specific about what I was looking at, they all dropped out for various vague reasons. All quite enthusiastic on the phone and then after they saw the pictures, nothing.

I have met a couple people in other parts of the country who would make good partners, but nobody nearby. It seems to be a fairly limited group. And people just get cold feet, maybe because these airplanes have a more limited mission than regular straight-and-level a/c.
My experience is similar. I tried for three years to find partners who already had planes (including Ryan Ferguson when he had his Pitts), and finally bought my own. Since then, I have been trying pretty much continuously for more than four years to find partners in it. No dice.

Ken Ibold said:
My experience is similar. I tried for three years to find partners who already had planes (including Ryan Ferguson when he had his Pitts), and finally bought my own. Since then, I have been trying pretty much continuously for more than four years to find partners in it. No dice.
I tried that route, too, without luck. I figured since I knew so many aerobatic pilots at my airport, for sure SOMEone would want to take in a new partner or at least had a friend who might be interested. Everyone said they'd "keep their eyes open" for me.

There is a woman I've gotten to know in the past month who is a partner in a Pitts (I don't remember the model). It's a possibility, but she has another partner who was the original owner, and I don't know how he feels about it. Plus I just bought a plane.

Dean -- to get back to your original post -- see if you'll be allowed to solo at that flight school. Just a heads up that it will become very frustrating if you do not have access to a plane in which you can practice alone, when you're ready.

Toby said:
Just a heads up that it will become very frustrating if you do not have access to a plane in which you can practice alone, when you're ready.

Word. Paying dual everytime you want to go out and have some fun isn't.

Back