Firewall forward coming along

Was there a reason you took the plane out-of-service before getting the new engine in the shop? Or are you rebuilding your engine (which we did, twice.)

Looks like an expensive drink holder :D

Looks familiar. So glad mine doesn’t look like that anymore.

Enjoy it while you can. You'll never have that much space in front of the firewall again.

Was there a reason you took the plane out-of-service before getting the new engine in the shop? Or are you rebuilding your engine (which we did, twice.)

We are doing the factory Lycoming overhaul exchange. As for the engine, at 2100hrs it busted some piston rings, we fixed that, and 6 months after that at 2200hrs it ate a valve. At that point we decided it was time...

How long since the last bottom overhaul? Unless there was low oil pressure I think I’d have just done top end. 5k for four brand new Lycoming cylinders and done.

I know, second guessing. I’m just curious why top end problems led you to pulling the engine.

We are doing the factory Lycoming overhaul exchange. As for the engine, at 2100hrs it busted some piston rings, we fixed that, and 6 months after that at 2200hrs it ate a valve. At that point we decided it was time...

What is the process for this? Thought they send you overhauled one and you send them yours for a core exchange? Or I might be confusing with something else. And if you don’t mind, what’s the $$? As a O360 owner, I dread this day

How long since the last bottom overhaul? Unless there was low oil pressure I think I’d have just done top end. 5k for four brand new Lycoming cylinders and done.

I know, second guessing. I’m just curious why top end problems led you to pulling the engine.

It's going to be more than $5k for a top on an angle valve Lycoming.

True. I thought this was an O

IO does not necessarily mean the engine has angle valve heads. But in this case, it does.

What is the process for this? Thought they send you overhauled one and you send them yours for a core exchange? Or I might be confusing with something else. And if you don’t mind, what’s the $$? As a O360 owner, I dread this day

Yes, they are building an overhauled engine to ship, and we will return our core in the same crate. As for engine quotes, we quoted, Lycoming, Zephyr, Pen Yann, Signature, and Gann. We had them all quote with new factory Lycoming cylinders, and interestingly enough, all of the quotes came in within $2k of each other, clustered in the $28-30k range. At that point, it was a matter of looking at each vendor's offering, and choosing the option you think will best suit your needs. Lycoming was the only place where we could get roller tappets and separate mags, all the rest quoted either a rebuild of our engine or an exchange for like model. We are exchanging an A3B6D for the A3B6.

Cole Aviation?

Yeah, Joey is doing the firewall forward.

Yes, they are building an overhauled engine to ship, and we will return our core in the same crate. As for engine quotes, we quoted, Lycoming, Zephyr, Pen Yann, Signature, and Gann. We had them all quote with new factory Lycoming cylinders, and interestingly enough, all of the quotes came in within $2k of each other, clustered in the $28-30k range. At that point, it was a matter of looking at each vendor's offering, and choosing the option you think will best suit your needs. Lycoming was the only place where we could get roller tappets and separate mags, all the rest quoted either a rebuild of our engine or an exchange for like model. We are exchanging an A3B6D for the A3B6.

Ok. I’ll be by on Mon or Tues. I’ll have to check it out. Yours the one getting the new windscreen as well?

Ok. I’ll be by on Mon or Tues. I’ll have to check it out. Yours the one getting the new windscreen as well?

No, just the firewall forward. We're now too poor to replace any windows. See tail # in .sig.

No, just the firewall forward. We're now too poor to replace any windows. See tail # in .sig.

Got that right. They told me the cost to replace the windscreen on one they’re working on now. Holy $$$!

Enjoy it while you can. You'll never have that much space in front of the firewall again.

Enjoy it while you can. You'll never have per hour operating costs for the plane as low as this month. :D

So you are going with factory OH, or is this what they call a factory reman?

So you are going with factory OH, or is this what they call a factory reman?

Lycoming offers two products:

Remanufactured: This is the “zero time” engine, where they give you a zero time log book with the engine.

Overhauled: Similar to above, but no zero time.

Notes: Both are built on the same assembly line, but remanufactured is built to “new” tolerances instead of service tolerances. Both are built from a combination of new and/or reman parts from cores. The remanufactured is ~$4000 higher in price compared to the overhauled. We didn’t think it was worth a 13% premium to be “zero time.”

Another thing to consider is you don’t get your own engine back. In fact, you don’t get anyone’s engine back, as the cores are stripped down, tested, and the parts either reman’d or tossed. So the engine we will get will have an assortment of parts from various engines. Is that important to you? Tough call. Our engine was at the end of it’s third run, so if we overhauled it, it would be starting its 4th run, ie it would have over 6000hrs since new.

We figured what we get from Lycoming won’t be any better/worse than what we have now. We do like going to roller tappets, as we’ve heard that recent flat tappets have been spotty in quality. Even new ones can spall within 400hrs, and by then replacement is on your dime. And with Lycomings, the cases have to be split to replace lifters. We figured the roller tappet vs. not our engine was a good gamble, and the two real separate mags is also a bonus.

And in the end, it really is a gamble. No matter who builds your engine, it can come from together 400hrs (or whenever) down the line. And when it does, guess who openes their wallet AGAIN? Ain’t aviation fun!

Lycoming offers two products:

Remanufactured: This is the “zero time” engine, where they give you a zero time log book with the engine.

Overhauled: Similar to above, but no zero time.

Notes: Both are built on the same assembly line, but remanufactured is built to “new” tolerances instead of service tolerances. Both are built from a combination of new and/or reman parts from cores. The remanufactured is ~$4000 higher in price compared to the overhauled. We didn’t think it was worth a 13% premium to be “zero time.”

Another thing to consider is you don’t get your own engine back. In fact, you don’t get anyone’s engine back, as the cores are stripped down, tested, and the parts either reman’d or tossed. So the engine we will get will have an assortment of parts from various engines. Is that important to you? Tough call. Our engine was at the end of it’s third run, so if we overhauled it, it would be starting its 4th run, ie it would have over 6000hrs since new.

We figured what we get from Lycoming won’t be any better/worse than what we have now. We do like going to roller tappets, as we’ve heard that recent flat tappets have been spotty in quality. Even new ones can spall within 400hrs, and by then replacement is on your dime. And with Lycomings, the cases have to be split to replace lifters. We figured the roller tappet vs. not our engine was a good gamble, and the two real separate mags is also a bonus.

And in the end, it really is a gamble. No matter who builds your engine, it can come from together 400hrs (or whenever) down the line. And when it does, guess who openes their wallet AGAIN? Ain’t aviation fun!

Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated. I might go with OH of mine when the time comes, it was factory reman-Ed last time

Nice! Saw your Mooney the other day. Overall appears to be decent shape. I really liked that red (orange) and white 20C in there also. New owner is throwing allot of $ into that one.

22 years / 2200hrs on the bottom end, and the last overhaul wasn't done on our watch. it just seemed time...

Feels like Deja Vu , mine is also 22/2200 SNEW, I just shipped it off to Zephyr. Mine was new, never overhauled or had a cylinder replaced...then lost a cylinder during flight.

Lookin’ good, man!

Super smart getting the dual mags. Looking good!

Reactions: Ted
Back