Firefox

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Is it just me, or is Mozilla actually trying to make Firefox so bad that no one will want to use it any more? I have 29.0.1 installed on one of my other machines, which has a reasonably new installation of Windows 7 and little else on it, and I can't believe what an ponderously stinking pile of crap FF 29 is.

I'll make only brief mention of the crappy "Australis" UI: In short, it sucks. But it's part of a broader trend in UI design that begins with the assumption that all users are brain-dead and need everything dumbed down for them so they don't have to think. Ignore the fact that Firefox's claim to fame was its robustness and ability to be customized, and aim for the lowest common denominator instead. Hey, everyone else is doing it, so why not Mozilla?

But at least "Australis" can be banished easily enough, which is why it merits only brief mention. What bothers me more is its horrible performance. Look at the first attachment. I opened FF to its default start page, where it consumed 16 percent of CPU and ~219 MB of RAM -- doing NOTHING. It's just sitting on its start page, doing NOTHING.

By way of comparison, I opened IE to Google's home page (about the closest thing I could think of to the FF start page), and IE consumed 1.2 percent of CPU and ~38 MB of RAM. I never thought the day would come when IE would be more efficient than FF.

And just as if the crappy performance and dumbed-down interface weren't enough to kill Firefox, now the word is that advertising "sponsored content" will be next. That ought to go over like a fart in church. The cumulative CPU cycles being used to uninstall Firefox when that happens will drive a hole right through the space-time continuum.

-Rich

Attachments

• ff-ss.jpg
    ff-ss.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 41
  • ie-ss.jpg
    ie-ss.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 33
Ya, I still use it because it doesn't track you (like Chrome) and it's less of a heap then IE.

That said, they have continually made it worse, not better.

I posted the other day about the mobile version, which now has a self-promotional banner at the bottom of the screen. Still don't know how to eliminate.

It's as if the geeky engineers hijacked the project with not a lick of sense about usability or human interaction.

I agree. I just updated and I am having the same issue with it. The software is taking up about twice the resources compared to the previous version time to move to chrome I guess.

I'm running FF v 29 and have no problems with it.

IE sucks, so I have it disabled.

I switched to chrome about two years ago and never looked back.

I uninstalled Firefox from all six PCs at home after they fired their CEO, so can't offer any suggestions. Opera works just fine.

I'm running FF v 29 and have no problems with it.

IE sucks, so I have it disabled.
How do I check which version FF I'm running? My line at the top starts with
http://lab.search.conduit.com.

Shouldn't there be a Help option that would let me check Version and Look for Updates?

HR

[EDIT] I figured it out: v 29.0.1; but what's this blasted "conduit" that seems to be always in operation?

Last edited:
How do I check which version FF I'm running? My line at the top starts with
http://lab.search.conduit.com.

Shouldn't there be a Help option that would let me check Version and Look for Updates?

HR

[EDIT] I figured it out: v 29.0.1; but what's this blasted "conduit" that seems to be always in operation?

It's a grayware search engine. It shows ads and collects data about you, your searches, etc. Kind of like Google except that it has this annoying habit of installing itself as your default search engine without your permission.

Other than that, I don't think conduit is any more evil than the rest of them.

-Rich

It's ridiculous...can hardly even see inactive tabs. Downgraded back to 28.

Firefox 22 on OpenBSD sounds better every day.

Conduit is a sure sign you are infected with malware/viruses. Rich was a little generous when describing it as a grayware search engine. It's the center of most infected PCs we see. They are evil and untrustworthy. They install without asking and are very hard to remove. They take over your searches and change your homepage, constantly exposing you to more and more malware. They suck system resources and will make your browsers crash, because they add themselves as BS toolbars and browser helpers.

Last edited:
I quit using Firefox a few years ago because I was picking up malware so bad the only solution was to ditch it and go back to IE. I'm using Chrome now. I like it a lot better.

Remember that Firefox uses Google to identify potential malware sites....

I just started using the latest Firefox under Ubuntu 14.04. Runs just fine, much faster than under XP. The claim is that the vulverabilities under Java have been plugged.

Firefox 22 on OpenBSD sounds better every day.

OpenBSD leadership was the only distro to call the SSL disaster what it was, unprofessional BS, and point out that they had told the developers a couple of years before it happened that their memory management methods were so lacking, the OpenBSD team couldn't put reasonable checks around it to *prove* it was done correctly.

Theo is entertaining as hell, and also is usually right. His post after the OpenSSL self-destruction was classic Theo.

I just started using the latest Firefox under Ubuntu 14.04. Runs just fine, much faster than under XP. The claim is that the vulverabilities under Java have been plugged.

Java secure and all holes plugged? That's laughable. How many updates have you had to download since you posted this? LOL!

All developers think adding code makes software better. Just ask one. ;)

Everything bloats. Note the resurgence of "minimalist" word processors for people who actually want to write something, not jack with settings on a "ribbon".

George R. R. Martin explains that he writes on a DOS machine...

http://m.rollingstone.com/movies/vi...nan-his-secret-weapon-a-dos-computer-20140514

True word processing peaked with WordPerfect for DOS, 5.1. Everything since then has been no tests on a boar hog, unless you're preparing publishing pieces.

Does Chrome still insist on going through Google search to get to any URL? I post private links for clients to review things and private links didn't work with Chrome since those links weren't in their search engine. I thought it quite arrogant to assume if they didn't know about it, it didn't exist. I deleted it at that point and haven't tried it since.

True word processing peaked with WordPerfect for DOS, 5.1. Everything since then has been no tests on a boar hog, unless you're preparing publishing pieces.

LOL.

Just give it to a paralegal to do. ;)

Spike, you usually have good taste in software, but while WP5.1 was stable, the UI sucked (as did many in that era). You'll never convince me that coloring text to represent different styles is better than WYSIWYG.

Conduit is a sure sign you are infected with malware/viruses. Rich was a little generous when describing it as a grayware search engine. It's the center of most infected PCs we see. They are evil and untrustworthy. They install without asking and are very hard to remove. They take over your searches and change your homepage, constantly exposing you to more and more malware. They suck system resources and will make your browsers crash, because they add themselves as BS toolbars and browser helpers.

Thanks for the follow-up. I've DELETED/uninstalled the Conduit.com(allegedly). At least, at present it's not showing up in the Address line when I invoke Firefox.

HR

All this Firefox discussion... I may have to go fire up a cheesy 80's Clint Eastwood movie!

Must ... Think ... in ... Russian ...

Spike, you usually have good taste in software, but while WP5.1 was stable, the UI sucked (as did many in that era). You'll never convince me that coloring text to represent different styles is better than WYSIWYG.

5.1 had WYSIWIG display options (at least the later releases did).

---

I designed a very effective document automation system with 5.1 macros and merges. It rocked.

By the way, where did Opera go? It was non-bloaty back in the day.
Wrapped tightly around google's member, fighting for last breaths. They even switched to Google's fork of WebKit, because really they have no choice.

Does Chrome still insist on going through Google search to get to any URL? I post private links for clients to review things and private links didn't work with Chrome since those links weren't in their search engine. I thought it quite arrogant to assume if they didn't know about it, it didn't exist. I deleted it at that point and haven't tried it since.

Chrome and Chromium both allow you to change your default search engine for the omnibox, if that's what you're asking.

BTW, I think Firefox is still the main component of the Tor browser bundle.

Chrome and Chromium both allow you to change your default search engine for the omnibox, if that's what you're asking.

BTW, I think Firefox is still the main component of the Tor browser bundle.

It's not a function of search engine selection. It was the fact they wouldn't attempt to access a URL unless it was in the search engine, precluding using private links.

It's not a function of search engine selection. It was the fact they wouldn't attempt to access a URL unless it was in the search engine, precluding using private links.

Exactly. Let's 'em catch every link you browse to, whether you search or not.

Same reason that the native Google Android email product has no sort function - only search. It can capture content of your emails with search.

I use Chrome on a daily basis. There's no issue opening any kind of link. If it's got a weird TLD you need to put http(s):// in front of it so Chrome knows it's an address not a search.

For example, if I try to open "something.local", Chrome opens a search page. If I open "http://something.local" it tries to open the page (and fails because it doesn't exist).

I'm kinda longing for the old days when you paid for Netscape. I'd rather pay for a full-featured browser that merely renders Web pages efficiently, as opposed to getting one for "free" that's built around data-mining.

I've been playing around with Chromium, which seems pretty okay. Having to build it yourself is a minor drag, but not the worse thing in the world.

-Rich

Back