Firefox ver 89 warning.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.
In the new version they decided to make a lot of changes without any warning to the users, like Line / font spacing / size, Themes.. If you try to go back a version you will likely lose all your Bookmarks and Passwords because they force you to create a new profile.
I spent over 2 hrs trying to recover some my bookmarks and I was lucky to have saved them on an external drive. After some 15+ years of using some variant of Mozilla / Firefox I think the new millennium bunch have finally managed force me to look elsewhere.
Any good ideas other than WaterFox? I do not use any M$, Google... trash.
Before you decide to update make sure you save your Bookmarks, in case you want to go back, and if possible try to view / see what it looks like, I ended up with bookmarks that are some 10 pages long.

Try going to about:config and searching for browser.proton.enabled and double clicking on it. That basically put everything back to the old look for me.

Yeah, they screwed the pooch on this one. And then got arrogant about it. Who do they think they are? Apple?

I found that there are a couple of hidden options that used to be on the menus but are now buried in the about:config area. They claim to have removed and buried them to "make it easy to use and so users won't be tempted to use them". That's Apple(and a few othe)-style arrogance. The options help to make things better - for example, compact mode. I haven't yet found a way to deal with the changes to tabs.

Hi everyone.
In the new version they decided to make a lot of changes without any warning to the users, like Line / font spacing / size, Themes.. If you try to go back a version you will likely lose all your Bookmarks and Passwords because they force you to create a new profile.

huh?

I wasn't forced to create a new profile or choose a new theme or anything, and didn't lose anything (knock on wood).

(and disabling .proton worked great)

Back