Firefox update

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
I did the latest update to Firefox on my 32 bit Vista machine.
Since then, about 30% of the time I get a "server not found" error when going to a page. I do a refresh and it comes right up.
Did some googling and found a couple of "fix's" in the config section of Firefox, but still get it. Not as bad as before, but it is still there.

Fix's done so far:
A new boolean
Setting IPV6 to off

Any ideas would be appreciated. Really don't want to take it off and then go "back" to the older version.

Thanks

Check your internet options to see if something has modified them inappropriately (ie: spyware). Your DNS may have been altered. A friend of mine complains her company PC settings get modified most of the time when she uses a particular type of VPN connection.
Dialup, low line speed. Cable: heavy use.
Other tasks running on your PC that's sucking the juice out of the machine. Run task manager and sort on high CPU. I have a couple of tasks that loop on my company machine I have to kill to get good response.
Other than FIREFOX, any new software on the machine that you know of? Any changes to the data connection? If on a lan, reset the router by unplugging it, and the cable modem. Plug in the cable modem then the router.

Now that you noticed it I have been seeing similar issues, although I haven't tied it to Firefox. I don't think it's 30% for me but a big increase in dns lookup failures. I loaded Chrome and whatever is going on affects it also.

Sorry I don't have a solution.

Joe

I'm running 3.6.6 on both Mac OS/X and Windows XP Pro - no issues like this for me (knock wood)

I'm running 3.6.6 on both Mac OS/X and Windows XP Pro - no issues like this for me (knock wood)

What happened to me on Mac OS X 10.4.11 is Apple was cowed into "fixing" Safari into the point of not working. Some goofs made a screen saver that was spyware and worm so they patched Safari to stop stupid people from installing such crap. The result is that Safari is so frickin busy checking constantly it takes half a minute to open a web page. I hate stupid people.

I went back to Firefox after banning it for over a year and it's working pretty well now.

Last edited:
I"m running 3.3.3 on Windows XP and Linux (Ubuntu) with no problems, nor have I come across any on other people's computers.

Maybe running something like CCleaner would help... could be a lot of cached garbage. Try flushing the DNS resolver cache, as well.

-Rich

Flushed the DNS, and ran CCleaner, didn't help.
Will figure it out eventually, has become a quest now.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back