FireFox sucks

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Won't read installed fonts on webpages.
Doesn't handle SIMPLE web formatting correct.

That's what I've found so far in the first 2 days of using it.

Won't read installed fonts on webpages.
Doesn't handle SIMPLE web formatting correct.

That's what I've found so far in the first 2 days of using it.

Ed,

Huh? I use Firefox exclusively and never had that kind of problem.

A given web page may render funny if it was designed to be Internet Explorer - weird, but it's still usable. Internet Explorer 6's handling of CSS is notorious. It's Firefox and Opera that use W3 standards. IE was specifically designed designed to "set the standard" to get some lock in.

I noticed my stock broker's site had a message that they had soem issues with Firefox that they were addressing. It said to use Netscape in teh meantime. I used Firefox anyway. What I saw is some of the Javascript that was trying opening a new window was inconsistent, maybe due to pop up blocking.

Firefox will happily give your money back, you know.

Ed,

Huh? I use Firefox exclusively and never had that kind of problem.

A given web page may render funny if it was designed to be Internet Explorer - weird, but it's still usable. Internet Explorer 6's handling of CSS is notorious. It's Firefox and Opera that use W3 standards. IE was specifically designed designed to "set the standard" to get some lock in.

I noticed my stock broker's site had a message that they had soem issues with Firefox that they were addressing. It said to use Netscape in teh meantime. I used Firefox anyway. What I saw is some of the Javascript that was trying opening a new window was inconsistent, maybe due to pop up blocking.

Firefox will happily give your money back, you know.

ditto. IE is the one with the vacuous reputation.

Nope. No CSS. Just very simple formatting.

example: Check out www.sidnaw.org

Click on "Where is"

Firefox then shifts that whole frame over to make room for the toolbar. Pinheads.

I am also using Bank Gothic font on another website. IE reads it fine, all my other programs read it fine. Firefox says...hmmm....I think I will let you view it as Times New Roman. Thanks.

Ed, out of shear curiosity, what websites were you trying to visit?

I haven't had a problem like the one you describe since I started using it in 2005.

Jason
Loyal FireFox User

I agree -- it seems to have problems with content. I stayed with Netscape 7.2 (which isn't perfect either, but strikes me as better...)

Nope. No CSS. Just very simple formatting.

example: Check out www.sidnaw.org

Click on "Where is"

Firefox then shifts that whole frame over to make room for the toolbar. Pinheads.

I am also using Bank Gothic font on another website. IE reads it fine, all my other programs read it fine. Firefox says...hmmm....I think I will let you view it as Times New Roman. Thanks.

I'm not following what you're saying (it doesn't happen to me). Make sure that the "Basic Page Style" is checked under View>>Page Style.

I'm not following what you're saying (it doesn't happen to me). Make sure that the "Basic Page Style" is checked under View>>Page Style.

That's what I've got selected, and the frame shifts on the "Where is..." link. Did it with two different computers on two different resolutions (1024 x 768 and 1280 x 768).

See where the frame shifts left under the green bar?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hit the 'contact the webmaster' link and tell him about your problem and that he stinks at coding html. BTW I wonder if he is using front page as his editor.

You should use your 'special' relationship with the webmaster to resolve the issue. ;)

BTW, IMHO get out of the habit of using frames. That is so 1997 in web design.

That's what I've got selected, and the frame shifts on the "Where is..." link. Did it with two different computers on two different resolutions (1024 x 768 and 1280 x 768).

I see it in the picture you attached, but when I visit the site via Firefox 2.0.0.1, nothing like that happens at all.

Really strange...

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.sidnaw.org/

18 errors. Some of them pretty serious.

The Firefox team does their best to develop their browser to render websites according to established standards. Microsoft decided that following standards isn't for them and since they had the market share they made the "microsoft standard" which pretty much consisted of tons of errors and no documentation about why anything happens. It was a mess. Microsoft made a commitment with IE6 to redevelop their rendering engine to closer match W3C standards. It's better now--But it's still not right.

Don't blame a web browser for doing all they can do--render according to established industry standards. If your website didn't have all those errors--you probably wouldn't have the problem. Step away from Windows--Learn vi and master your CTRL ESCAPE W SEMICOLON LEFT ARROR NUMLOCK CAPSLOCK TAP HEAD RUB STOMACH WHISTLE key strokes to further develop your web skills. :D

BTW--I do not have that frame problem you are having in Firefox 2.0.0.1

Or hell--Just buy a Mac!!!:yes:

Hit the 'contact the webmaster' link and tell him about your problem and that he stinks at coding html. BTW I wonder if he is using front page as his editor.

You should use your 'special' relationship with the webmaster to resolve the issue. ;)

No, he was using Notepad. LOL

OOhhhhhh, Scott, Ed is the webmaster. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.sidnaw.org/

18 errors. Some of them pretty serious.

The Firefox team does their best to develop their browser to render websites according to established standards. Microsoft decided that following standards isn't for them and since they had the market share they made the "microsoft standard" which pretty much consisted of tons of errors and no documentation about why anything happens. It was a mess. Microsoft made a commitment with IE6 to redevelop their rendering engine to closer match W3C standards. It's better now--But it's still not right.

Don't blame a web browser for doing all they can do--render according to established industry standards. If your website didn't have all those errors--you probably wouldn't have the problem. Step away from Windows--Learn vi and master your CTRL ESCAPE W SEMICOLON LEFT ARROR NUMLOCK CAPSLOCK TAP HEAD RUB STOMACH WHISTLE key strokes to further develop your web skills. :D

BTW--I do not have that frame problem you are having in Firefox 2.0.0.1
:goofy: Real men code raw HTML with Emacs.

(Kidding. I use vi. Never learned Emacs.)

Yeah but now the tool bar links are gone. Can you put them on each page without the frame?

That's the problem with updating a live site, and not doing it on a backup directory first. All should be well now.

Except when you scroll the links disappear. And if I make a change, I now have to make it on 5 pages instead of 1.

*sigh*

It is not that bad. I maintain a site with the same type of links. As long as you have named them well you will find yourself not changing them.

take a look at mine, http://a0950308.uscgaux.infohttp://a0950308.uscginfo.org

BTW do yourself a favor and back up you online site on your hard drive. Then edit what is on your computer and up load it. Also keep a pristine copy of the site somewhere as well as a back up.

And if I make a change, I now have to make it on 5 pages instead of 1.

*sigh*

This is why you need to learn a little bit of dynamic web development to effectively run a website. If your server supports php you can do something as simple as..

Let's say you have a file that is like
Code:
<HTML>
BUNCH OF CODE

MENU GOES HERE

BUNCH OF CODE
</html>
Obviously it sucks to have to change the links on that menu on every page. A little bit of php and it's a whole new world.

You could have a file called menu.html with:
Code:
<a href="link1.html">Link 1</a> | <a href="link2.html">Link 2</a> | <a href="link2.html">Link 2</a>
Now you would just use PHP to include that file on every page wherever you want that menu to be..For example

Code:
<HTML>
BUNCH OF CODE

<?php include("menu.html"); ?>

BUNCH OF CODE
</html>
Would provide an output of:

Code:
<HTML>
BUNCH OF CODE

<a href="link1.html">Link 1</a> | <a href="link2.html">Link 2</a> | <a href="link2.html">Link 2</a>

BUNCH OF CODE
</html>
To the web browser. So now you just update that one file, menu.html, and the changes would be reflected on every page.

I tried getting php to run on the server about a year ago for a simple mail tool, and it just would not work. So I abandoned the php route. I think it runs php, just not the mail application I was attempting. I just don't have time to do all that stuff, so I just stay simple.

I tried getting php to run on the server about a year ago for a simple mail tool, and it just would not work. So I abandoned the php route. I think it runs php, just not the mail application I was attempting. I just don't have time to do all that stuff, so I just stay simple.
Except that you aren't staying simple or saving time in the long run if you have to make one change in five places.

A few extra minutes up front can save you hours of work when something core changes.

Real men code directly in hex or octal depending on the processor ... :D

...and they can do hex to binary conversion in the fly while entering the bootstrap loader with lights and switches.

click-click-click-click click (load)
click-click-click-click-click-click (load)
(repeat a hundred or so times)
(hold breath, toggle to "run")
...then, either:

"Aw, crap..."
-or-
"It's loading..."

...and they can do hex to binary conversion in the fly while entering the bootstrap loader with lights and switches.

click-click-click-click click (load)
click-click-click-click-click-click (load)
(repeat a hundred or so times)
(hold breath, toggle to "run")
...then, either:

"Aw, crap..."
-or-
"It's loading..."

BTDT ... on a Goodyear computer

Still wont display some fonts though.

Ed,

What Jesse said. I was gonna say something like that, but he beat me to it. He knows that of which he speaks.

Also, why the popup when you click "Airport?" It loaded in a way-too-small window too (let me know if you want a screen shot). I *hate* popups when I click on links.

Ed,

What Jesse said. I was gonna say something like that, but he beat me to it. He knows that of which he speaks.

Also, why the popup when you click "Airport?" It loaded in a way-too-small window too (let me know if you want a screen shot). I *hate* popups when I click on links.

Because you have a Mac.

With WinXP/Firefox and WinXP/IE when you click on the "Airport" link it opens in a new window. Then in the new window there is an onload() command in the framset that will resize to your available width and height. You probably have your settings so resizes are not allowed. The reason it opens in a new window is because the format of the airport site is completely different than the main site, and when it was framed, I didn't want frames inside of frames.

Somebody above mentioned using the W3C.org validators, and they are spot on. If you write HTML that is missing closing tags, for example, or has closing tags where there are no matching opening tags, you're going to have problems, and you can't blame the browser--you gave it incomplete instructions. It's like telling your wife to cook chicken and then getting upset that she cooked BBQ chicken when you wanted chicken fingers.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.sidnaw.org/where.htm

At the very least, fix the missing </font>, <center> and <table> tags--these are huge errors--fixing them will only help you have cross-browser compatibility.

By the way, the airfield is looking nice, as are the improvements you're making--way to go!!

FYI - AFAIK you don't need PHP to do server-side includes, which would take care of your "have to change 5 pages when I update the menu" problem.

FYI - AFAIK you don't need PHP to do server-side includes, which would take care of your "have to change 5 pages when I update the menu" problem.

You can use SSI...and most of the time you name your files .shtml. You would put something like:

Code:
<!--#include virtual="/menu.html" -->

In your pages. There is no point though in going through the effort of using SSI. You might as well just use PHP and have a very nice web development language at your disposal throughout the future.

I have no such problem on Sidnaw.org using FireFox 2.0.0.1 on two different computers. Perhaps you have some sort of malware add-on that's hosing things.

Because you have a Mac.

With WinXP/Firefox and WinXP/IE when you click on the "Airport" link it opens in a new window. Then in the new window there is an onload() command in the framset that will resize to your available width and height. You probably have your settings so resizes are not allowed. The reason it opens in a new window is because the format of the airport site is completely different than the main site, and when it was framed, I didn't want frames inside of frames.
I'm sure you don't want to know what it looks like when your page resizes to 1600 by 1200 and you don't want to hear what I have to say when it unexpectedly pops up and covers everything on my monitor.

BTW, nice site.

I have no such problem on Sidnaw.org using FireFox 2.0.0.1 on two different computers. Perhaps you have some sort of malware add-on that's hosing things.

I'd since redone the site to eliminate the shifting.

And yea, on 1600 x 1200 there's a lot of empty space to the right and to the bottom. There's a lot of empty space on 1280 x 1024 as well.

Last edited:
I've been using Firefox since .7 or so and the reality is that a lot of sites do use non standard (IE) coding. Can't always swim upstream so I use an extension called IE Tab. It opens your bookmark and changes the rendering engine to IE instead of Firefox. Give it a try: http://ietab.mozdev.org

Back