Firefox slow

PhantomCougar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Phantom
This past Monday or Tuesday, Firefox has gotten slow... locking up for about 10 seconds after I load a page or click on a link or when i type posts it locks up for about 10 seconds every 15 seconds or so... and when this happens, I notice my CPU usuage spike... i uninstalled it and reinstalled with the newest version and it still does it. Everything else works fine, and as much as it pains me, I am using IE now. wtf? I thought firefox was where it's at.... i use thunderbird too and it works just fine.

Last edited:
Never noticed anything like that and I have been using FF on multiple machine since release 1.0. Sounds like something else is causing the problem.

I've been noticing that a lot of websites have been really slow the past couple of days. I haven't tied it it FF, though!

Did you clear the cache? Could be a corrupted file stuck in there...

Rich

Safari is fast! If you are running Windoz then run your Antivirus and Spyware checks! But it could just be everyone is on shopping and surfing! Check it early in the morning.
I'm seeing this on both a brand new machine (as in installed Wednesday night) and my older machine. And it's on a lot of shopping sites, so I'm figuring that it's just bandwidth issues.

I'm seeing this on both a brand new machine (as in installed Wednesday night) and my older machine. And it's on a lot of shopping sites, so I'm figuring that it's just bandwidth issues.
I do recall news stories last year about so much traffic on some retail sites, they shut down.

Nah... I can view PoA in IE at regular speed but FF is slow in PoA... it's not a remote site issue... I cleared the cache and while that probably was full, it is still running slow. I have firefox on a linux machine too, and that FireFox runs just fine. Just FF on my Windows XP machine. I will continue to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Just copy your bookmarks out and delete your profile. If you have installed any third party extensions try deleting those too.

Well after a week of bitching, I decided to actually put some research into the issue and apparently this happens alot, when you've had firefox for a long time and your user profile get bogged down. So the solution is to create a new user, transfer all your bookmarks over, and other plug ins to the best of your ability, and then delete the old user.

It's working for me tonight.

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/09/firefox-runs-slow-speed-memory-fast.html

On my Windows machine Firefox bogs down, in task manager I see it using lots of CPU and TONS of RAM (500MB+). So I restart Firefox. It's all speedy and using 34MB. It seems to happen when you hit a AJAX WEb 2.0 page. I think Java causes a memory leak.

Firefox keeps updating. It would be nice if they fixed the leak.

BTW, the Mac version of Firefox also suffers bit rot. It just takes longer.

I think I'll ask for refund. :rolleyes:

I don't think the leak is in Firefox. I often go 12 hours straight with at least 13 Firefox windows open each having about 20 tabs each.

My only problem with FF is that, when I click on a link that will download a file (whether to save, or to execute), Firefox completely stops responding until the download actually starts- all FF windows become unresponsive, to the point of even giving the "Not Responding" message in the banner.

As soon as the D/L starts (the little Firefox download-with-a-progress-bar window opens), it returns to normal.

Since the download's start is dependent upon when the remote computer decides to start sending the file, and that time can vary significantly, this is a real irritant.

My only problem with FF is that, when I click on a link that will download a file (whether to save, or to execute), Firefox completely stops responding until the download actually starts- all FF windows become unresponsive, to the point of even giving the "Not Responding" message in the banner.

As soon as the D/L starts (the little Firefox download-with-a-progress-bar window opens), it returns to normal.

Since the download's start is dependent upon when the remote computer decides to start sending the file, and that time can vary significantly, this is a real irritant.

I have never had that happen in the Linux or Windows versions of Firefox.

Very strange, then, because I believe it is extant on all three computers which I routinely use. I shall have to investigate for common elements and useful information.

Ditto, no problem with that at all.
It's a routine problem for me, mostly on the Mac. I always thought is was due the negotiation for FTP transfers, but it happens for HTTP downloads, too, also for merely saving a picture - anything that goes to the disk.

In re: The memory leak

Some of that may be bad JavaScript programming on the sites in question. You can XMLHTTPGET absolutely huge return queries that the browser then needs to store over and over and over again if you are e.g. adding each new return to an Array (Vector).

~ Christopher

Back