Firefox/shockwave problem

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Whenever I try to view a YouTube video it plays for about 15 seconds and then locks up, leaving Firefox in a messed up state. Often but not always I get a dialog box saying shockwave has done something illegal. I tried removing the add-in and re-installing but it didn't help. Once the problem occurs, I can't switch tabs in the browser but I can read, scroll, and close the one selected. After closing one I can read the next selected etc. Closing all Firefox windows appears to terminate the program but leaves a thread "firefox.exe" running preventing a restart of the application until I kill it with WTM. I haven't tried removing/reinstalling Firefox yet.

This is with Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Windows XP. Any ideas?

Lance, I was having the same exact issues with Netscape 7.2. I discovered that the latest version of Shockwave didn't get along with Netscape. I downloaded an earlier version and installed it, problem solved. May be the same thing happening with Firefox.

Edit: I just looked on the Firefox support pages, all kinds of problems with Shockwave on there as well.
This is interesting???
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowle...4cde97c564954&stateID=0+0+3108282&mode=simple

Last edited:
Me 2; Netscape 7.2 & Shockwave probs.
Hate newer versions enough I will forgo some videos to continue with 7.2
I do keep IE on my desktop for such vids

Flash.

I wish folks would stop using it on their websites. There are so many commercial sites that use that crapware for obnoxious advertising - going beyond pop-ups, there are a couple of sites that won't even display the content page until after they display a flash advertisement. And if Flash is turned off or not installed, you get a blank screen.

I use a pop-up stopper that lets you switch flash on and off. That's the only way to go.

Back