Firefox help!!!

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
I was using my son-in-law's computer to show him that video of the Christmas Lights. I think it munged firefox. After the video, Firefox would not open except to show a profile menu with one item, the default profile. Selecting that profile showed an error message saying the profile was already in use, choosing it again was not allowed. This continued until we did a hard boot. Now we can open and use Firefox but all the former settings including the bookmarks are gone.

What is the name of the bookmark file? How can I import them into the new profile (or re-load the old profile)? Help! It drives me crazy screwing up my own computer and now I have done it to someone else.....:(

-Skip

I had the exact thing happen to me. Being a comupter dummy it took me a while to find it.
I went to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\wadpznjc.default
it was all there.

Hope this helps, KD

skip, what happens is that firefox thinks its still open. You have to hit cntrol alt delte, choose end program for firefox.exe or simply restart your puter. Then firefox will let you use your regular account.

Hope that helps.

Michael

What michael said except you may not see the firefox.exe in the program tab. Instead go to the process tab and find it there. End it that process and then restart Firefox. Also a reboot should fix the problem.

Scott

I had the same problem. Here's the instructions I followed with success.

1. Hit Start - Run
2. type firefox.exe -profilemanager and hit OK
3. Pick the profile you want to use,
4. Make sure the Dont ask at startup box is checked
5. Click Start Firefox

deafsound said:
I had the same problem. Here's the instructions I followed with success.

1. Hit Start - Run
2. type firefox.exe -profilemanager and hit OK
3. Pick the profile you want to use,
4. Make sure the Dont ask at startup box is checked
5. Click Start Firefox

When you do this, also make sure firefox is already closed or it will not bring up the Profile Manager, but rather just firefox.exe. Good Luck! :yes:

Thanks for the suggestions.... but to no avail. They seem to be gone, and now I am not in Chicago any more so I can't work on it. :(

Next time maybe I can fry his hard drive.....;)

-Skip

Back