Firefighting over Kansas

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Tristan and I flew to Hutchinson Kansas over the weekend to eat at the steakhouse located on the field, which was basically amazing.

We were originally planning on a late after-noon departure. I took a look at the radar Saturday morning and decided that we were going to have to depart a couple hours earlier to beat a storm that was heading towards KHUT.

We departed Lincoln and climbed to over 9,000 feet in an effort at staying above the weather. Like most of my attempts at staying on top, I had to spiral down or else we wouldn't have been able to maintain VFR. Power off, let the airspeed drop to near stall, full flaps..and down we come.

There were random fires being lit by farmers all over the place. This one didn't have anyone around it--so we thought maybe we'd help put it out.
3.jpg

The weather was decent VFR and we continued on towards our destination. A controller informed us that we might encounter moderate to heavy precipitation so we kept our eyes out.

We had a 396 onboard with XM and used it along with our eyes to adjust our route as needed. The storm was a slow mover and quite predictable.

2.jpg

We landed at KHUT and neither of us was hungry for supper. The Cosmosphere space museum is only a couple miles away so we called a local taxi. I hate taking the taxi but there was no other option.

The taxi arrived and I was a bit shocked. Honestly I am sure that this taxi was without the doubt more dangerous than anything I've ever done in an airplane:
5.jpg

Either the car was going to fall apart or the driver was going to have a heart attack.
4.jpg

We were thankful to survive the taxi. Although slightly wet, as his passenger window was busted and it was pouring outside.

The steak was great and the carrot cake desert was bigger than my head
6.jpg

After we ate we waited for the weather to clear and finally took off at around midnight.

Little mini-adventures like this are what make life worth living, Jesse. Looks like y'all had a wonderful time. :cheerswine:

We prefer to call the taxi, the Hutch Limo. I'm glad to see that the headliner isn't blocking your forward view like the only time I rode in it. Sadly nobody stopped by to see me again, I was working all weekend. I could have loaned you a much better car.

Regards, Kevin

Love the firefighting picture and story, Jesse. Great fun. What were you flying? A 140?

Sounds like a fun trip. Also sounds like someone is ready to start IR. ;)

There were random fires being lit by farmers all over the place. This one didn't have anyone around it--so we thought maybe we'd help put it out.

Too bad we don't have front page pictures here. I'd nominate that one if we did.

2256Q said:
Little mini-adventures like this are what make life worth living
So true.
We prefer to call the taxi, the Hutch Limo. I'm glad to see that the headliner isn't blocking your forward view like the only time I rode in it. Sadly nobody stopped by to see me again, I was working all weekend. I could have loaned you a much better car.

Regards, Kevin

Ahh, I didn't know you worked there. I did talk to a lineguy at Wells Aircraft and bought some fuel.

TangoWhiskey said:
Love the firefighting picture and story, Jesse. Great fun. What were you flying? A 140?
PA-28-180. The same one we flew to Gastons.

CJones said:
Also sounds like someone is ready to start IR.
This is in the works. About 10 hours into it now. Just a matter of time and money.

Don't let him fool you. I was PIC, he was the other guy that helped me play "Don't fly into that" with the 396 and an extra set of eyes. LOL j/k, he was lots of help and fun to fly with.

Each part of the flight had its own adventure. The trip down was, as you can see, full of rain shower dodging or what look to me like the weather god's curtains. And of course fire fighting attempts with the bottled water and a Cherokee. The farmers probably didn't know what to think of us. We landed at Hutchinson just in time though. After the plane was fueled, it started to rain.

The Cosmosphere ( http://www.cosmo.org/ ) was better than I expected. The entire lower level is the museum. The museum is set up in a timeline fashion starting with Germans and the invention of the rocket all the way up to space flight and satellite technology that we as pilots sometimes take for granted. They also offer an IMAX Dome theater which is, what we believe, the best design. We decided to see "Monsters of the Sea" which turned out to be pretty good. It was based more on a story than a documentary which can be hard to find at some of the museums. There are other opportunities if you arrive earlier such as a Planetarium, a show about what it was like to be a scientist from the 1930s, "The Astronaught experiece" (G force simulator), and of course the gift shop.

After our Class A taxi driver brought us back to the airport, some steak was in order. Although I haven't been to every place in the 100 dollar hamburger book, this is by far the most impressive. The restaurant itself is set in the terminal building with plenty of glass to watch the airplanes, and in our case, the awesome lightning show as well. The interior is elegant with candles on the table, mood lighting, carpet (thats a shock), and just the right amount of aircraft memorabilia for that extra class. The steaks themselves were top notch with the typical choice of sides you would find at a steak house down town. From the sound of things, it is quite popular with the locals as well as pilots. And of course we can't forget Jesse's HUGE carrot cake. We had to get most of it to go, although it mysteriously dissapeared after we took it out of the airplane. ....it will be missed.

After waiting for the weather to move past, we made the decision to depart for Lincoln. I'm glad we did or we would have missed a perfect night under the stars. We covoered up the 430 in the plane which made the majority of the light. I remember both of us leaning forward to look at the glistening specks above and how many there were over the dark farm spotted horizon. You tend to forget the simple things in flying that make it worth while. Its those moments in time when everything is absolutly perfect; millions of bright stars, the gently humming engine, good memories, and your best friend to share it with.

What a great flight.

Last edited:
Although I haven't been to every place in the 100 dollar hamburger book, this is by far the most impressive. The restaurant itself is set in the terminal building with plenty of glass to watch the airplanes, and in our case, the awesome lightning show as well. The interior is elegant with candles on the table, mood lighting, carpet (thats a shock), and just the right amount of aircraft memorabilia for that extra class. The steaks themselves were top notch with the typical choice of sides you would find at a steak house down town. From the sound of things, it is quite popular with the locals as well as pilots.
The other restaurants I can think of that come close to that description are Jonesey's at Napa Valley and Final Approach at Sheboygan.
And of course we can't forget Jesse's HUGE carrot cake. We had to get most of it to go, although it mysteriously dissapeared after we took it out of the airplane. ....it will be missed.
Wow, I didn't think ANYTHING was as big as Jesse's head!:rofl::D
You tend to forget the simple things in flying that make it worth while. Its those moments in time when everything is absolutly perfect; millions of bright stars, the gently humming engine, good memories, and your best friend to share it with.
Awww!:blowingkisses:
What a great flight.
:yes:

The other restaurants I can think of that come close to that description are Jonesey's at Napa Valley and Final Approach at Sheboygan.

Grant,

I dunno if you'd call it "classy" but Pilot Pete's at Schaumburg is sure good too! :yes:

Jesse and Tristan, A great write-up from both perspectives! Mmmm, steak. :yes:

Grant,

I dunno if you'd call it "classy" but Pilot Pete's at Schaumburg is sure good too! :yes:
I certainly agree, and did think of it, but it's not quite in the same class. The other two are closer to Branmor's that we went to over by Clow.

Back